+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 40 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: Jordin Sparks - Season 6

Re: Jordin Sparks - Season 6

Quote Originally Posted by HelloRaven;2367706;
    I think the thing that separates Jordin from Melinda is the issue of confidence. I can't look up to someone who seems to deny her talent to try to appear humble. Melinda's "background singer who gets no recognition" act is getting old. Jordin keeps it real, and that makes her more appealing to me.
    That "humble pie" act by Melinda got old a long time ago. But I think Jordin is a far superior singer to Melinda, period. Jordin has much better vocal range, terrific tone and most important--a complex nuance to her phrasing. Jordin can wrench the meaning out of any song--especially ballads--with sincerity. Melinda just parrots the style of other singers who were famous in whatever genre she is singing. And Melinda does not improvise with rhythm and tone in any interesting way. Jordin does--as Tony Bennett mentioned.
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

In my own little corner, in my own little chair...

Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam;2368250;
    That "humble pie" act by Melinda got old a long time ago. But I think Jordin is a far superior singer to Melinda, period. Jordin has much better vocal range, terrific tone and most important--a complex nuance to her phrasing. Jordin can wrench the meaning out of any song--especially ballads--with sincerity. Melinda just parrots the style of other singers who were famous in whatever genre she is singing. And Melinda does not improvise with rhythm and tone in any interesting way. Jordin does--as Tony Bennett mentioned.
    I must be hearing different broadcasts.

Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam;2368250;
    Pillbaeam, while I agree with a lot of what you have said regarding Melinda vs. Jordin, I have to say that Jordin showed last week that she has no low range. At least with the Bon Jovi song, she wasn't able to hit any of the lower notes with any authority at all.

FORT Fogey

I think I am watching off the same feed you are Blue Songstress.

Jordin and Melinda are both incredibly strong performers. Either of them would be a worthy winner of American Idol, and I hope that one of the two of them win. I lean towards Melinda, but would be VERY happy with either winning.

That said, I thin the strengths of the two are different enough that it doesn't make a lot of sense to me to try to compare and contrast the two as if one is technically the better performer. As I see it, Jordin has an outstanding voice, and is able to convey a great deal of charisma and charm from the stage. Melinda has an outstanding voice, and is able to interpret a wide variety of songs, and styles of music.

I personally think that of the two, Melinda does the better job of conveying the mood of a given song, and I think she puts more of herself into each performance. That's one of the reasons why I would choose her over Jordin if it were up to me. But my favoring Melinda does not in any way mean that I think Jordin is lacking as a performer. I think comparing the two of them is choosing the better of two bests ... it's certainly not idenitifying one "best" and one "worst"!

In my own little corner, in my own little chair...

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2368284;
    I think I am watching off the same feed you are Blue Songstress.

Jordin and Melinda are both incredibly strong performers. Either of them would be a worthy winner of American Idol, and I hope that one of the two of them win. I lean towards Melinda, but would be VERY happy with either winning.

That said, I thin the strengths of the two are different enough that it doesn't make a lot of sense to me to try to compare and contrast the two as if one is technically the better performer. As I see it, Jordin has an outstanding voice, and is able to convey a great deal of charisma and charm from the stage. Melinda has an outstanding voice, and is able to interpret a wide variety of songs, and styles of music.

I personally think that of the two, Melinda does the better job of conveying the mood of a given song, and I think she puts more of herself into each performance. That's one of the reasons why I would choose her over Jordin if it were up to me. But my favoring Melinda does not in any way mean that I think Jordin is lacking as a performer. I think comparing the two of them is choosing the better of two bests ... it's certainly not idenitifying one "best" and one "worst"!
    You said it all better than I could have. I, too, prefer Melinda as a performer and a vocalist. Still I think that Jordin is a wonderful singer and performer, and will probably have a great career. I don't have to hate one to love the other.

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;2368280;
    Pillbaeam, while I agree with a lot of what you have said regarding Melinda vs. Jordin, I have to say that Jordin showed last week that she has no low range. At least with the Bon Jovi song, she wasn't able to hit any of the lower notes with any authority at all.
    Check out her ballad performances--Her range (from low to high) is astounding. This most recent rock performance simply was not her best. She did do a rock-flavored song pretty well early on in the competition, and that had a lot of lower notes.
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

Quote Originally Posted by Blues Songstres;2368310;
    You said it all better than I could have. I, too, prefer Melinda as a performer and a vocalist. Still I think that Jordin is a wonderful singer and performer, and will probably have a great career. I don't have to hate one to love the other.

We agree. At this point, I would prefer that Blake win the contest, but that doesn't mean I can't love Jordin's singing or appreciate LaKisha's. And I don't dislike Melinda's singing because I love Jordin's singing. I dislike Melinda's singing because she has a significant problem with vocal interpretation. The reason I am so disappointed about Melinda is that she has great tools to work with--strong voice, good pitch and decent range--and she is wasting them with some very generic performances.
    Last edited by pillbeam; 05-04-2007 at 02:53 PM.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam;2368352;
    We agree. At this point, I would prefer that Blake win the contest, but that doesn't mean I can't love Jordin's singing or appreciate LaKisha's. And I don't dislike Melinda's singing because I love Jordin's singing. I dislike Melinda's singing because she has a significant problem with vocal interpretation.
    I am so far away from considering Melinda having any sort of weakness in vocal interpretation that I'm very curious here -- which song of hers would you point to as the best example of her weakness in that area?

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2368360;
    I am so far away from considering Melinda having any sort of weakness in vocal interpretation that I'm very curious here -- which song of hers would you point to as the best example of her weakness in that area?

I would say the songs in which she did the cheesy Pointer Sister '70s R&B riffs are the worst offenders. I've already spoken about them in the Melinda thread. All of Melinda's performances have been problematical except the inspirational song "There Will Come a Day" last week. She did a very good job with that. I think she put more genuine feeling into that song than any other. Perhaps religious singing (which is a form of inspirational singing) is where her heart is.

Because this is the Jordin thread, I'll refrain from a detailed critique of all of Melinda's songs here. If I have time, I'll add some more to the Melinda thread.

Now, back to Jordin. I hear that next week is disco week. I think Jordin could do very well with it, but this genre is difficult to do without sounding old-fashioned and dorky. I think Blake may be the only person who can pull it off because he can make any old song sound contemporary.

------
    Last edited by pillbeam; 05-04-2007 at 03:35 PM.

Does anybody know what is Jordin singing this week?
    bring janice back. now.

+ Reply to Thread