+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 40 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: Jordin Sparks - Season 6

Re: Jordin Sparks - Season 6

Quote Originally Posted by dpiranha;2362855;
    Doubtful. Once you build a fanbase, you basically earn a free pass for at least one stinker of a performance. They'll rally around you to save you. Were this not the case, Carrie Underwood would be deciding whether to feed the pigs or the sheep first this afternoon, rather than deciding what to wear to her next sold-out concert. Her "If You Don't Know Me By Now" was about as horrid as Jordin's "Livin' On A Prayer," but her fans (who hadn't been tested all season up to then) easily bailed her out of trouble.

Unfortunately for Jordin, she spent her pass on a week in which she really didn't need it. That's provided that the conventional wisdom is true and she was in the lead after last week's voting. If she sings two songs well next week, her fans will exhale and write off "Prayer" as an aberration.
    We've seen enough of her in the competition to know how well she sings which is why she has such a huge fan base. What I gleemed from watching all these years is that when you get to this point of the competition performances only matter in the final when you get new people watching who will vote according to the how they judged what they saw.

ETA: Last year could have been an exception with Katharine since you had some people that disliked her so intensely that they would vote for someone they didn't care for just to get her out but her Black Horse and Cherry Tree and Somewhere Over the Rainbow performances kept her in the competition. That is the only season I've noticed that happen. I can't see anyone left in the competition this year that's so despised that anyone would purposely vote against.
    Last edited by Tigerusty; 05-02-2007 at 02:08 PM.
    "So, what is fame? It's lightening that strikes some people. It's lightening that some people seek." Jewel

We all know that nothing's going to happen this week that the producers don't want, at least in terms of Jordin. While that's frequently true to some extent, its especially true in a week where they can essentially make up the rules.

Huh, you might ask, what do you mean?

Well they told us that the votes would be combined, but they never said HOW. Which leaves them the luxury of:

1.) combining the absolute votes into one total.
    2.) giving everyone ranks for each week and then averaging those ranks
    3.) doing some combination of the above, where they not only calculate the ranks per week, but also make some kind of index of how far apart the Idols are in votes for each week and then combining THOSE figures for each week. Basically the idea would be to create a vote share rating for each week and combine those into a grand total.

The above gives them a lot of flexibility. For example, I'd bet Jordin got the most votes last week. Methods #1 (because there were SO many more total votes last week) and #2 (because first place averaged with last place would still leave her above the bottom 2) would both ensure she wouldn't go--the only one which risks her going would be #3 (because if the separation in vote totals was small last week, but she lost by a lot this week, then her total "share" of votes could be bottom 2 cumulatively) .

If she didn't actually "win" last week, but was still in the top 3, then #2 would be the best way to ensure she stays.
    Last edited by Krom; 05-02-2007 at 02:11 PM.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Leo
    Premium Member

This week wasn't the first time Jordin had an off week though. It was quite a few weeks ago, but Hey Baby from Gwen Stefani week wasn't any good either. The only reason that's forgotten is because it was the week of the faux-hawk. If you believe the rumor mill, Jordin placed seventh then.

I do agree with dpiranha and Tigerusty on the bigger point that even if last week hadn't been a non-elimination, Jordin would still be safe. Her fanbase on its own merits is powerful enough to keep her out of trouble. If a relatively weak one then could save her from that earlier fiasco, I'm pretty sure her weak performance this week would not be much of a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo;2362916;
    This week wasn't the first time Jordin had an off week though. It was quite a few weeks ago, but Hey Baby from Gwen Stefani week wasn't any good either. The only reason that's forgotten is because it was the week of the faux-hawk. If you believe the rumor mill, Jordin placed seventh then.

I do agree with dpiranha and Tigerusty on the bigger point that even if last week hadn't been a non-elimination, Jordin would still be safe. Her fanbase on its own merits is powerful enough to keep her out of trouble. If a relatively weak one then could save her from that earlier fiasco, I'm pretty sure her weak performance this week would not be much of a problem.
    I haven't forgotten about that week Leo I think whether or not that performance was rated good I believe was more a matter of opinion than consensus. I personally thought it was good but not great. This week the consensus is undeniable.
    "So, what is fame? It's lightening that strikes some people. It's lightening that some people seek." Jewel

Last night was Jordin's only bad performance, and even with that one she showed some of her greatness, especially in the end. And, her Gwen Stefani performance was very good. I don't remember any "consensus" that it was otherwise--tho I do remember a couple of her FORT detractors really criticizing it.

The bump in the road last night was enough to spur Jordin's fans to call en masse. This girl will survive easily tonight and will probably win the contest. I'm happy about that, but I'm beginning to think that the wonderfully inventive Blake may be the one who most deserves to win.
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

Urban Renewal - a new era BuckeyeAddict's Avatar

I had to go back and watch/listen to Jordin's performance of "Hey Baby" (Gwen Stefani week) on youtube. I thought she did a very good job. And the worst thing that was said by the judges was that "it was a bit copy-catish" by Simon. Simon also said she was the most improved of all the contestants. Randy and Paula only had praise (no big surprise, though!).

I must say I hated her outfit, though.

Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam;2362999;
    Last night was Jordin's only bad performance, and even with that one she showed some of her greatness, especially in the end. And, her Gwen Stefani performance was very good. I don't remember any "consensus" that it was otherwise--tho I do remember a couple of her FORT detractors really criticizing it.
    These are your opinions. I respect them sincerely. Nevertheless, nobody here says there is a consensus on Jordin's Hey Baby performance, but some people, including me, say that they didn't like it, and that it was bad in their humble opinions. I think in the heat of the moment, we tend to forget that "good" or "bad" is a matter of taste...

a small note: Jordin is the only person I have voted for this year.

The Next Lost Housewives fayewong's Avatar

you guys are sure confident about Jordin staying on...
    i am just scare she will do a Tamyra Gray on us?

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by fayewong;2365601;
    you guys are sure confident about Jordin staying on...
    i am just scare she will do a Tamyra Gray on us?
    Anything can happen, but to me, Jordin has this Carrie quality. She just sort of sails through the competition, gracefully, and her talent is never questioned by anyone. I suppose you could say the same for Melinda, but Melinda -- I don't know -- doesn't have that charm that Jordin has. I, personally, am not excited by her whatsoever.

I have this gut feeling Jordin's going to win -- I really hope it proves right! A Blake vs. Jordin finale with Jordin crowned at the end sounds like absolute perfection to me.

I think the thing that separates Jordin from Melinda is the issue of confidence. I can't look up to someone who seems to deny her talent to try to appear humble. Melinda's "background singer who gets no recognition" act is getting old. Jordin keeps it real, and that makes her more appealing to me.

+ Reply to Thread