+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 40 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Jordin Sparks - Season 6

FORT Regular

Re: Jordin Sparks - Season 6

It's not against the audition rules, I checked....

but I get the point. This show is supposed to be about discovering the undiscovered, NOT the people whose careers just aren't moving fast enough for their tastes.

Anybody know what label she recorded with? Or did she just pay for a private label?

Those pictures look like the classic pose-with-a-celebrity type pictures. Having met them doesn't really qualify as a working relationship.
    "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier." The Killers.

Quote Originally Posted by 5DogWorld;2352686;
    It's not against the audition rules, I checked....

This show is supposed to be about discovering the undiscovered, NOT the people whose careers just aren't moving fast enough for their tastes.

Actually, the show is not just about the "undiscovered." It's is also about giving a platform for experienced folks who do not have major label careers. I love seeing experienced performers like Ruben, Taylor and now the younger Jordin get their due in a big way on AI. Of course, Melinda falls into the showbiz vet category, too. She also belongs on the show.
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

FORT Fogey

Well, I just seriously dislike the knowledge that Jordin knows Randy and Simon... if it's a classic celebrity meet... I think its a HUGE coincidence.

But, there was an excelent singer who got DQed before top 24 for already being somewhat discovered... he deserved to be on the show. Yet, Melinda and Jordin made it on who are already discovered and Jordin has met Simon and Randy before???

I'm rooting for Jordan. However, in the list of people who already had an in...don't forget Brandon.

Quote Originally Posted by Julian Pyke;2352759;
    Well, I just seriously dislike the knowledge that Jordin knows Randy and Simon... if it's a classic celebrity meet... I think its a HUGE coincidence.

But, there was an excelent singer who got DQed before top 24 for already being somewhat discovered... he deserved to be on the show. Yet, Melinda and Jordin made it on who are already discovered and Jordin has met Simon and Randy before???
    It doesn't bother me.
    I thought the rule was you could not have an open recording contract - maybe that person did....
    I don't know.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by corprip;2352695;
    Those pictures look like the classic pose-with-a-celebrity type pictures. Having met them doesn't really qualify as a working relationship.
    I agree. And since Jordin's dad was a professional athlete, it's logical to assume that her family would have opportunities to attend events where they'd meet a variety of celebrities. I've gone to parties before where I've met Jamie Farr, Alan Ruck, and Opie and Anthony. I have similar pictures to those of Jordin with each of those guys. But I don't have relationships with any of them that would get me any sort of special favors from any of them ... nor would I expect any of them to have a clue who I was if I were to meet one of them again.

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2352798;
    I agree. And since Jordin's dad was a professional athlete, it's logical to assume that her family would have opportunities to attend events where they'd meet a variety of celebrities. I've gone to parties before where I've met Jamie Farr, Alan Ruck, and Opie and Anthony. I have similar pictures to those of Jordin with each of those guys. But I don't have relationships with any of them that would get me any sort of special favors from any of them ... nor would I expect any of them to have a clue who I was if I were to meet one of them again.
    What? Veruka? You're not going to be a guest on O&A?? (but I do love Alan Ruck - he lives a couple towns away from me - or at least he did at one time.)

After viewing the pics, I agree that with a professional athlete as a dad, these were pictures taken at functions she was able to attend. Hell, if my dad were a NY Giant, my picture would be taken with Jesse Palmer so I can say I knew a Bachelor kidding.

As for the album, I don't think it's uncommon for people to have albums. My nephew has CD on itunes and it's doing well, but that doesn't mean he doesn't deserve to move further in his career, regardless of the path.

I still hope she wins. I think she embodies what they're looking for - a combination of talent, niceness and marketability.

Here's a post of mine in this thread from March 28th:
    Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;2300372;
    I just read something very interesting about Jordin. She has toured with Michael W. Smith, a Christian singer. From Local music veterans critique 'Idol' finalists - Nashville, Tennessee - Wednesday, 03/28/07 - Tennessean.com
    • Seventeen-year-old Jordin Sparks, who toured with Michael W. Smith, tackled No Doubt's "Hey Baby," which judge Randy Jackson said was a risky but good choice.
    So it appears that Jordin is not such an amateur after all. I still really like her and hope she goes far.

FORT Fogey

Marybethp, O&A may not be inviting me onto their show, but Jim Norton did tell me that I have a great giggle.

By the standards we're holding Jordin to, wouldn't Melinda also be disqualified as a back up singer? And whats-his-name, the first guy to get eliminated who was a back up singer for Mariah Carey? There have been so many with professional credentials that I think it's safe to say that total amateur status is not a requirement for making the show.

+ Reply to Thread