+ Reply to Thread
Page 53 of 72 FirstFirst ... 3434445464748495051525354555657585960616263 ... LastLast

Thread: Blake Lewis - Season 6

Urban Renewal - a new era BuckeyeAddict's Avatar

Re: Blake Lewis - Season 6

I thought Blake did great. And huge kudos to him for having the kahones to pick a song for his song choice that he hasn't done! How often does that happen?

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...

^ Exactly. It was both brave and smart, and I'm glad it turned out so well for him. I think he deserves to be in the finale after that! I know I'm pulling for him... but I fear Jordin and Melinda have such large fan-bases that anything is possible. It could easily be the two ladies in the finale, but I'm hoping for Blake vs. Melinda.

makes me wonder if he is appealing to his fans rather then the audience so they buy his CD's since he knows he cannot win!
    I'd read it as knowing that his only chance of advancing was to excite his fans to a voting frenzy -- people who don't like his singing don't like anything he tries -- which comes to about the same thing as what you said.

If I had to psycho-analyze the three competitors, Jordin seemed to be playing not-to-lose (way too cautious on her first two songs, plus a repeat song for safety); Melinda was her usual ultra-competent self (for which she deserves to advance, but also, we all expect it of her); and Blake was the one who was truly in the moment, giving it his all.

I have been listening to his performances on youtube. "Roxanne" was good, better than I was afraid it might be, but didn't knock me out. I can't quit listening to "This Love" and "When I Get You Alone." I had never heard the last song, so I found Robin Thicke's version. Pretty similar, but there is something about Blake's voice that is very appealing to me. I hope he makes it to the finale. I want more Blake!

"Roxanne" was good, better than I was afraid it might be, but didn't knock me out. I can't quit listening to "This Love" and "When I Get You Alone."
    You and me, both, exactly.

The one time I don't want to hear either of these songs again is this evening, in the last minutes of AI!

Quote Originally Posted by calamari;2394950;
    You and me, both, exactly.

The one time I don't want to hear either of these songs again is this evening, in the last minutes of AI!
    OH!!! VERY good point! I will be so bummed if he leaves tonight.

Oooooookaaaaay... I found the Robin Thicke version, and it was a great aha! moment.

The Thicke version suffers from the too-much-emotional-distance thing that I'd worried about Blake sometimes doing. You're just not sure if, when Thicke gets her alone, he's going to seduce her, take her out to play video games, or drown her in the nearest river and hope the cops never find the body.

Blake brought the relevant emotion -- it's crystal clear that when he gets her alone, a very good time will be had by all. As Jennifer Lopez advised, "Pick up that girl!" And it is very, very cool -- and very seductive -- in that ol' Mr. Spock way (a reference from Simon's era!) when robot techno-boy shows passion.

Quote Originally Posted by calamari;2394882;
    Blake was the one who was truly in the moment, giving it his all.

Exactly, showing Blake has the work ethic to continue on with great success. Preparing a third new song even in this hectic week proves it to a tee. I'm thinking back to his audition even in the euphoric moment of moving on to Hollywood he took the time to praise his dad as the "hardest working man in Seattle, you can ask anybody that." Blake's learned from a great role model.

Knowing his strong work ethic, his originality and having his pulse on contemporary styles, I really am looking forward to seeing his finished product when he makes his debut album.

In contrast the more we get to know Jordin the more we see that she is simply a pageant contestant. Very sterile and safe and non-threatening. She's not singing contemporary music because she has no frickin clue about it. I would bet anything that any CD ever released with a parental warning label attached, Jordin has never heard. Her favorite song is still Mmbop and earlier in the year she said her favorite movie was a Disney movie (can't remember which one).

If we get a Blake v. Melinda finale, next week will be like watching the Super Bowl with your two favorite teams going against each other. It really will just be a celebration and not really caring much who wins.

lei
    FORT Fogey

Not much to add here -- you guys said it well. Just wanted to jump in and say "Yeah, Blake!!!" Boy did great.

Really, really, really hoping for him to make it to the finals (with Melinda, as I enjoy her more than Jordin and believe she deserves it more.)

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeAddict;2394618;
    I thought Blake did great. And huge kudos to him for having the kahones to pick a song for his song choice that he hasn't done! How often does that happen?
    Exactly my thought.

And Melinda is no reincarnation of Tina Turner, even if AI wants to turn her into one. Does anyone know what the real Tina is up to?

+ Reply to Thread