+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 74 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192060 ... LastLast

Thread: A.I. Media Articles

Leo
    Premium Member
    On the flipside though, we know in this part Nigel was telling the truth:

He also felt this is a wide-open field and it’s impossible to predict a Fantasia or Carrie-type leader at this stage.
    Of course it'll be a wide-open field. We hardly know the people in the top 24!

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;2235221;
    . . . “Rubbish,” he said, noting that it would be ridiculous to see a Kellie Pickler sing a Nirvana song, for instance.. . .
    Any more ridiculous than seeing (or worse: hearing!) Kellie Pickler sing a Queen song?
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Link Here

Senator repeats bad language written about him
    By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

WRENTHAM — A state senator and father of a former American Idol finalist read profanity-laced criticism posted online about him and his family in a talk to high school students in his district about his opposition to gay marriage.
    Sen. Scott Brown, R-Wrentham, defended his use of foul language during an assembly at King Philip Regional High School on Thursday by saying he was only repeating what had been written about him. The comments were posted on a Facebook.com page dedicated to a pro-gay rights history teacher at the school.

"I hate scott brown" and "scott brown ascends from the underworld," were two of the tamer comments on the site, some of which contained profanities. The postings included a picture of Brown with devil's horns, a devil's tail and a pitchfork added.

Some comments were aimed at Brown's daughter, Ayla Brown, a former American Idol finalist and scholarship basketball player at Boston College.
    "If the kids can write it, the kids can hear it," Brown said yesterday.
    Brown said he left the school Thursday feeling pleased that so many of the students seemed highly engaged in the discussion about divisive issues such as gay marriage.

"I felt really good about it. And now I find out I'm being portrayed as a vile-speaking hate-monger. It's pretty saddening. I feel very badly that I'm being victimized here," he said.

Phone calls by The Associated Press to the principal's office at the high school were not returned.

Witnesses said Brown read the comments verbatim in front of about 80 sophomores, even naming the students who wrote them in some cases.
    "He was doing it loudly and pretty angrily," student Rachel William told WHDH-TV about Brown's reading of the Facebook postings. "Some of the teachers tried to stop him, and said things like 'You shouldn't be naming students.' "

Student Stephen Small said: "Some teachers immediately were outraged to hear the language that was used ... some people still feel it was inappropriate to read them word for word."

The mother of the student who created the site told the station she thought Brown acted inappropriately.
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Link Here

Ouachita grad, on ‘American Idol,’ stirs talk about his faith
    Feb 9, 2007
    By Stella Prather
    Baptist Press

BRYANT, Ark. (BP)--What started out as a joke of sorts has landed an Arkansas Baptist on television’s hit show “American Idol.”

Sean Michel, 27, of Bryant, Ark., was among the 16,000-plus people who auditioned for the show last fall in Memphis, Tenn. A member of First Southern Baptist Church in Bryant, Michel was chosen to go to Hollywood to compete in the next round. Clips from his audition aired Jan. 23.

“It really started out as a joke,” said Michel, who prior to his audition was not a big fan of the show.

“My buddies and I were watching the Razorback/USC game back in September when a friend ... mentioned that a few Ouachita Baptist University students were going to try out for Idol the next day,” he said, adding that his friends teased him about auditioning.

Michel, a graduate of Ouachita, didn’t take the suggestion seriously until about 3 a.m. the next morning when he agreed to make the trip with some friends. They arrived just in time for the 7 a.m. tryouts, and Michel was dead last in line.

“We didn’t know what we were doing ... or the protocol for the auditions,” said Michel’s manager and friend, Jay Newman, a member of First Baptist Church in Monticello, Ark. “We had not planned on going. We just went for fun. We didn’t know what we were doing, but ... Sean got in.”

During a preliminary audition, Michel sang “Movin’ on Up,” the theme song from the 1970s television show “The Jeffersons.” In his final audition, some of which aired on the show, Michel was dressed in a thrift store Army shirt and sported his long hair and long beard while performing an a cappella rendition of “God’s Gonna Cut You Down” by Johnny Cash.

“Some people have said I looked like Castro or Osama bin Laden ...,” Michel said. “Others thought I was a homeless guy.”

Whatever the resemblance, his performance caught the judges’ eye. Since the show aired, Michel has become popular on websites such as MySpace, where people have left posts referring to his faith.

“A few people want to know about Jesus,” Newman said. “That is really cool. We are just trying to be honest without being condemning. But we do tell them what we believe is true.

“One comment from a guy online noted, ‘I’ve never been into Jesus or religion, but this guy is making me think about it.’ That’s exactly what we want,” Newman said. “We don’t think we are the guys out there who are going to reach large harvests of decisions, but if we can get people thinking about Christ who normally would not be thinking about Christ, then mission accomplished.”

Michel, a worship leader, said he has been trying to take the recent attention off him and put it on Christ, and he hopes to glorify God through his appearances on American Idol.

Another Southern Baptist, Chris Sligh of Tigerville, S.C., joined Michel in winning a chance at the next American Idol round in Hollywood. Sligh, a former student at North Greenville University, passed the first round Jan. 30.

Link Here

American Idol men fall in love with Paso Robles
    February 9, 2007

American Idol kingpins Nigel Lythgoe and Ken Warwick have spent US$6m on their new property in Paso Robles – and confess they are 'smitten'.

The Liverpool-born Hollywood producers are responsible for a string of
    Global TV hits such as Gladiators, Survivor, Blind Date, Popstars, and Pop Idol, and its US version American Idol.

In December 2005 they fulfilled a long-held dream by buying a vineyard, the 61ha Villa San Juliette just outside Paso Robles on California's south central coast.

And getting their first harvest in – the 2006, 5000 cases of a high-end Merlot-Cabernet blend – is now the subject of its own TV series, Corkscrewed, which will air on Sky in the UK in the spring.

The pair reckon they were 'naďve but passionate' when they embarked on the venture but are now 'smitten', and have fallen in love with Paso Robles.

'The film shows our naivete and complete stupidity, and all the problems we got into and how we got out of them.'

Both multi-millionaires from their TV projects, they say they have made no money from Corkscrewed – which they did 'for recognition' in the region where Sideways was filmed and where locals have become skeptical of Hollywood names.

'Being accepted here makes us proud. They thought they were getting big Hollywood producers, but we're not in that mold. It's nice to be able to put the misconceptions to bed.'

And they are serious about Villa San Juliette, with plans for a new house and winery on the land. They are replanting 7ha of Cabernet and are putting in cover crops and adopting new pruning techniques. Their vineyard manager also worked under the previous owner.

The estate's grapes were previously sold to Kendall-Jackson, Triana and Constellation. Lythgoe says that both the latter have renewed contracts.

'But Kendall-Jackson dropped us and we've never heard from them again.' All the grapes which they are not using for their own blend have been sold.

Villa San Juliette Cabernet Merlot will be bottled at the end of the year and will be on sale for around US$35-40.

As for other TV plans, the producers will say nothing except two projects were 'picked up' by networks yesterday. 'In April we'll be able to say more - they will be enormous.'

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    World domination, I tell ya!

Link Here

Denise's road to 'Idol'

Last month, Madison teen Denise Jackson sweetly confided to one of the largest audiences in reality television history - 37.4 million viewers - that "I was born as a crack baby, as they would call them. A crack baby."

~*~*~*~*~*~*
    This is a long article about Denise but a really interesting one....She's had a rough life...her mom had her first child at 13 and had four other girls after that....

Carlisle asked to replace Abdul on Idol

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakin...35&n=242877406

14/02/2007 - 1:59:48 PM

Former Go-Gos singer Belinda Carlisle was offered Paula Abdul's spot on talent show American Idol - fuelling rumours the judge will be replaced.

Courtney Love recently claimed to have been approached about taking Abdul's place, but show producers blamed it on a telephone hoax.

Now Carlisle insists she was asked to replace Abdul several years ago.

She says: "As far as American Idol goes, I was actually approached a couple of years ago about possibly replacing Paula Abdul.

"But to answer your question (would she be a judge on the show), I really don't know. To be perfectly honest, it's just not my thing. I'd rather listen to music that comes from a more organic place. But you know, I just ... don't know if I would or not."

Quote Originally Posted by BoBoFan;2240839;
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakin...35&n=242877406

14/02/2007 - 1:59:48 PM

Former Go-Gos singer Belinda Carlisle was offered Paula Abdul's spot on talent show American Idol . . .

Courtney Love recently claimed to have been approached about taking Abdul's place . . .
    Okay, guys -- I wasn't going to say anything, but here goes:
    I was asked to replace Paula Abdul too!!!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Jamie Lynn Ward

http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs...C0101/70215002

Thursday, February 15, 2007
    Former 'Idol' contestant glad for experience

By Sonja Elmquist
    Staff Writer

MADISON — After a brief brush with fame and scandal, Jamie Lynn Ward is sticking to plan A.

To study to become a nutritionist after she graduates from Rockingham County High School in the spring, while also hoping to make it with her voice.

"I want to be a singer," Ward said, taking a break Wednesday evening at the restaurant where she works. "I don't really want to be on reality TV. As soon as you cry, they follow you with that camera."

Ward was eliminated from "American Idol" during the show that aired Tuesday.

"I was proud of myself," Ward said. "I got some good experience."

It was hard to keep to herself the news that she wouldn't make it to the final 24 in the contest for a $1 million record deal, Ward said. She had people telling her she had their vote, when she knew — but wasn't allowed to tell them — they wouldn't have that opportunity.

But it was harder to keep up with Idol's demands: Memorize a song; memorize a dance; live for three days under constant scrutiny.

"I'm not good at memorizing things," Ward said. "They give you the song and you have to stay up all night remembering it and learning the dance and you have to do it for three days and still look good."

Ward told judges during the September auditions in Birmingham, Ala., that her father became paralyzed when he shot himself in the neck after shooting and wounding Ward's stepmother.

The attention her sweet voice and sad story drew to the Reidsville 17-year-old hasn't changed much in Ward's hectic life. She's still working at Cousins Family Steakhouse and keeping up with her trigonometry homework.

How does she cope?

"I just laugh," Ward said. "Life's too short to be mad about things."

For Marisa fans....

Marisa

Local 'American Idol' contestant eliminated from competition
    By Len Righi Of The Morning Call

Bethlehem resident Marisa Rhodes came this close to being one of the 12 female finalists on the upcoming season of "American Idol."

The 22-year-old performer was the final female contestant eliminated on the last day of the Hollywood round, which was the subject of an hour-long FOX-TV show Wednesday night.

"I was unlucky number 13," said Rhodes after watching the show at the Leithsville Inn in Lower Saucon Township. "Out of 103,000 people who tried out, out of the 70,000 girls, I got cut at the very end."

While Rhodes said she was "very disappointed" at the outcome, she is "happy" at having gone through the competition. "It's been one of the best experiences of my life."

Rhodes, a 2002 Saucon Valley High School graduate, was on camera for several minutes near the show's end, appearing with Antonella Barba before the judges to find out who would get the 12th and final spot. In the elevator, en route to the room where the decision would be rendered, each wished the other good luck

When Rhodes was told it was "the end of the line" by Randy Jackson and that Barba would be moving on, the girls embraced.

On the elevator ride afterward, Rhodes was shown sobbing, saying, "How did this happen?" Later, she said, "I wasn't expecting this. Nobody was. …Everybody thought that if one person would get through it would be me."

After viewing the show, Rhodes said, "I think I handled it really well. [The decision] broke my heart."

Rhodes took comfort in what she was told by the judges.

"On camera, Simon [Cowell] said I was the best audition. [Off camera,] he told me I was destined for bigger and better things. He told me, 'You are one of the best. I am one of your biggest fans.'

"Randy said, 'Girl, you can really sing,' and Paula [Abdul] said I was an amazing singer and a class act. So I know [the decision] wasn't [entirely] a talent thing."

Rhodes was among the 40 contestants who survived the first cut of the Hollywood round, which started with 172 contestants. She appeared on camera in Tuesday night's FOX show about that portion of the round as part of a foursome quarreling over one member's inability to harmonize properly.

Another Bethlehem resident in the Hollywood round, Tim Marchetto, 28, a computer consultant known around the Lehigh Valley as a crackerjack karaoke singer, did not survive the first cut.

"America, have fun voting! That's all I can say," he said after watching at home which contestants were chosen on Wednesday night's show. "It's a lot of smoke and mirrors. It's TV."

He said participating in the competiton was "a great experience. It's the largest mountain I have climbed to this point but it is far from the last."

Marchetto will field questions about his "American Idol" experience at 7 a.m. today on The Morning Express on WLEV-FM 100.7 and at 8 a.m. today on Cat Country, WCTO-FM 96.1.

Rhodes said she remains friends with those who made it to the top 24. "We exchange phone calls and MySpace messages every day. They are all in awe that I am not with them. It was a real big shock to them."

As she did on Tuesday night, Rhodes watched the show at the Leithsville Inn. Her manager, John Paul DeBard, her mother, Mary, who encouraged her to try out for the show, father, Joe, and younger brother Shane and friends watched along with her. Asked the reaction of those who watched with her, Rhodes answered, "They knew what was coming."

Asked if she had an opinion about who among the finalists might become an "American Idol" winner, Rhodes said Gina Glockson of Chicago - her "best buddy on the show. She has a real good chance. She's awesome."

Asked about future plans, Rhodes said, "I am an actress, so I'm looking for work on Broadway. Of course, I will to continue to sing … I've already been in the studio in Nashville with Dolly Parton. She pinched my cheek and said, 'If you can sing half as good as you look, you got it made in this business.' "

Tonight, however, Rhodes said she will do what she usually does on a Thursday night: participate in the Leithsville Inn's open mike session, which will begin at 9 p.m.

+ Reply to Thread