+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kelly's single hits #1

Kelly's single hits #1

I just heard in the news that Kelly's single hit number one on the Billboard charts. According to the news, Kelly's single broke the Beatles record by having a single with the biggest jump. ( from #52 to #1.)

Oh My, and I have yet to hear it on the radio!
    I guess it's likely I won't since I listen to the classic rock station
    But my daughter does get her top 40 station on sometimes in the car!
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

From the info I read.

Kellys sold 236,000 copies the first week.

In second place was a Nirvana thing selling about 4500 copies.

Kellys sold MORE than the rest of the top 20 at Billboard combined!

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations to Kelly, but I have to say it just doesn't feel right that she was able to beat a record held by the Beatles.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Agreed fluff!
    The Beatles... my God, now there is (was?) a talented bunch!
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

(from the Billboard website...)

'Idol' Clarkson's Single Sets Billboard Record

As expected, "American Idol" winner Kelly Clarkson's debut RCA single, "A Moment Like This," has made the biggest single-week leap to No. 1 in the history of Billboard's Hot 100. The single sold 236,000 copies in the U.S. during its initial week at retail, according to Nielsen SoundScan, and the track rockets 52-1 on the new Hot 100, to be posted tomorrow (Sept. 26) on Billboard.com. Nelly's "Dilemma" featuring Kelly Rowland had been No. 1 for seven-straight weeks.

"We're in uncharted territory," Billboard director of charts Geoff Mayfield says. "It's unusual to have a retail single to begin with and it's even more unusual to have one sell decent numbers. This is the first one to sell more than 200,000 [in a single week] since 1999, so those are pretty big accomplishments."

"Sam Goody sold more copies of the Clarkson single in one day than the chain has sold of any one single in the past three years," a spokesperson for the chain told Billboard Bulletin. Jim Kaminski, rock buyer at Tower Records in New York, adds, "It caught me by surprise, actually, because I didn't think it was going to be that popular, especially [in Manhattan]. I thought the show was more of a suburban thing. But we've sold all of our first shipment."

There's plenty of "Idol"-related activity on the horizon. A compilation album featuring songs from other "Idol" contestants, including "Moment," is due Oct. 1 via RCA. A six-week trek North American tour, which will feature Clarkson, Justin Guarini, and the eight other "Idol" finalists, kicks off Oct. 8 in San Diego and runs through Nov. 20 in Seattle. Clarkson's debut set, originally scheduled for a Nov. 26 release, has been pushed back until 2003.

it just doesn't feel right that she was able to beat a record held by the Beatles.
    I would have to agree with you too, Fluff! There's still the possibility of the news reporting wrong information.

I'm happy for Kelly, though, even if she wasn't my favorite.

I'm happy for her too.. she seems like such a sweet, genuine person and I do like her voice.

The song is pretty lame though.

Anyone know if there is any truth to the Justin/Kelly rumours?
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

JR.
    What does this say about the current state of music, and about the music industry as a whole?

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    Well, the people that are shaking in their boots are the people like Britney Spears who have no talent at all.

Most of the people on that show had more talent than her or a lot of the bands out there today.

I agree with Miss F. What a great fairy tale story for this girl. She seems so likeable. And I had not heard that Justin/Kelly rumor but that sure is an interesting thought.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast