Page 15 of 59 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Joshua Gracin

From: http://www.freep.com/entertainment/t...1_20030331.htm
    American Idol' or just plain idle?
    Fans debate whether Josh ought to be on duty
    March 31, 2003
    BY JULIE HINDS
    FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER
    Last week, "American Idol" finalist Josh Gracin impressed viewers with his performance of a Garth Brooks song, "Ain't Goin' Down 'Til the Sun Comes Up." But what's gone down lately on the show's online message boards? A small skirmish over the stateside status of the singing Marine from Westland.
    "Josh should leave," griped an "Idol" fan who wanted him off the show because other Marines are fighting in Iraq.
    "The PR he is providing is priceless," countered another. "Get off his back."
    A few fans argued Josh should be over there fighting. The majority defended him, saying U.S. troops aren't allowed to choose when or if they go overseas.
    And a wave of pro-Josh messages slammed the current issue of LA Weekly, where columnist Nikki Finke advised Josh to "suck it up and ship out on his own," especially since some members of his unit have been deployed to Kuwait.
    According to a military spokesperson, however, the flap is much ado about nothing.
    Josh's status is the same as it's always been, says Capt. Shawn Haney of the Marine Corps liaison office for movies and television. Namely, he hasn't received any deployment orders, but if he does, he'll answer the call.
    "He knows it, the show knows it, everyone knows it," says Haney, who's acting as a liaison to "American Idol."
    For the moment, Josh is living with the show's eight other finalists in a large secluded house with reporters kept away. Normally, he's stationed at California's Camp Pendleton.
    Although some Marines from Josh's unit, the huge 1st Force Service Support Group, have been sent to the Persian Gulf, his particular maintenance section hasn't been given those orders.
    "A lot of people don't understand Lance Cpl. Gracin doesn't get to decide when he deploys," says Haney.
    There's always a chance Josh could be sent overseas. If that happens, "Idol" producers have promised he can return as an automatic finalist next season.
    One of Josh's biggest fans describes the current controversy as "kind of silly."
    Cindy Park, 16, of Havelock, N.C., runs a Web site, www.JoshGracin.com <http://www.JoshGracin.com>. She bought the domain name for $9 after seeing him on "American Idol" and has spent about $200 of her own money to keep the site running.
    Park, whose father is a Marine sergeant, says visitors to the site have credited Josh with improving their attitude about the military.
    "I know it's convinced some teenage guys to enlist," she says.
    Recently, she got a phone call from her TV idol.
    "It was really exciting," she says. "I was acting like a teenybopper."
    Contact JULIE HINDS at 313-222-6427 or hinds@freepress.com <mailto:hinds@freepress.com> .

quote:
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by: ad1dasbwa

The military will NOT deploy him anywhere, even if HE himself wanted to go with his unit... It just will NOT happen.

He will be a symbol (Like he isn't already) for the Marines and the military. He will be their new posterboy, and it's good publicity for the Marines, plain and simple
    -----------------------------------------------------------

I agree.
    Did I do that quote thing right? I don't really know how to do it. lol

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    Yep, this should be in the Josh thread. I'll move it for you.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

Thanks again glennajo!

Bravo Fan, while I respect your decision to move my thread, as it does pertain to Josh, I made it a new topic so it wouldn't get lost. It seems that not too many people visit "his" thread, and I was wanting to know how others felt about AI's decision to automatically bring him back.

OK, back to lurking mode I go. LOL

RC

If people mark the threads read before they leave, then they know when new posts have been made, and will check the thread to see what's been said

No need to just lurk, join on in!

Josh is one of my favorites, but I don't see him winning this competition.

I think he'll have a career in music if he wants to pursue one though.
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

I agree Cali.

I have really liked Josh in the past. His performance last night was really bad and I put him in my bottom 3 for the first time.

He doesn't seem into it, and I can't really say I blame him.

I think he's a sweet guy and I wish him all the best, but I can't see him going much further in this competition.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)

I certainly can. I feel that he will give Ruben and especially Clay a run for their money. Clay is beginning to become old to alot of people and he is losing popularity. I think Josh when he has chosen the proper song can outshine all of the contestants, so lets just hope he choses the right song. I still hate the fact each week is a "theme" week. Why can't the darn contestants just chose their OWN song genre? Really makes me mad. Does anyone know if this is gonna be changed soon so that the singers can choose their own genre/songs?

While I agree to a point about the "theme" each week, it does test their range. Although if they are going to be a "pop star" then who cares if they can sing country or disco?

maybe range was the wrong word, it tests their versatility

Well Ad1, I hope you're right!

+ Reply to Thread