+ Reply to Thread
Page 61 of 272 FirstFirst ... 11515253545556575859606162636465666768697071111161 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Taylor Hicks - Season 5

Think outside of the box MissLibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scsi commando View Post
    The problem with obscure songs is that audience usually have to get a feel with the song first, then performance second. Contestants need to pull off a very entertaining performance that will blow the unfamiliarity.
    This is why Taylor has made such a fan out me. I knew all of his previous songs but I had never heard 'Trouble' before. What I most liked about this version is he wasn't 'entertaining' per se, he was just singing his heart out. His performance is stuck in my head and I can't stop rewinding this part on my DVR.

I like his bouncing around too for certain songs but just hearing him sing is enough for me.

Nimmy is my American Idol Enya Windo's Avatar
    I don't think a song is a bad choice just because it is unfamiliar, but sometimes the judges talk like it is. I agree with you, Miss Libby. I think Trouble was one of Taylor's best song choices and one of the best songs of the whole season.
    I wish they would have a theme week broad enough to allow original songs too and before they narrow it down to 4 or 5 contestants.

If Taylor is in the Bottom 3 tonight, I will not be surprised. He totally phoned in that performance. He could have rocked it but didn't and I couldn't figure out why?

Quote Originally Posted by MiaT2 View Post
    If Taylor is in the Bottom 3 tonight, I will not be surprised. He totally phoned in that performance. He could have rocked it but didn't and I couldn't figure out why?

It wasn't his best performance, but he still sounded better than John Denver! My radio station person who reviews the show says either Taylor or Elliott will go home tonight. I think she's crazy! She said Mandisa might too, but she's got a strong fan base. Well, Taylor has a stong fan base too!

I dont think Taylor OR Elliot will go home tonight. I think Paris or Ace might. I just thought out of all the contestants, she and Ace were the weakest.
    "At the beach, life is different. Time doesn't move hour to hour but mood to moment. We live by the currents, plan by the tides, and follow the sun." - anonymous

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar
    Taylor wasn't bad last night, he just lost some of his spark and personality. I think his nerves got him a little.
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

FORT Fanatic

The Song Sucked

While the song sucked, Taylor still sang it well. I think he has too many fans to go home tonight. We will not let it happen. As I've said before, even on a bad night, he is still better then most.

jmb
    FORT Fogey Word Builder Champion jmb's Avatar
    I too wish Taylor had picked a better/different song last night... It would have been so fun for him to sing "Sweet Home Alablama"! or something else a little more "peppy".
    I hope there is no truth in the rumor that he's TRYING to get kicked off so that he can move on to bigger and better things.
    He's bringing variety and a wonderful spark to this season.

The problem last night was that the song's arrangement and pitch were wrong for Taylor. Also, "Country Road" is a schizophrenic song--both perky and hauntingly evocative--as John Denver brilliantly recorded it years ago. When Denver performed it live years later, it sounded just perky--not as evocative. It's a tough line to cross, and not one that the AI music arrangers could handle.

I also thought about how ironic Taylor's career has been. He is a country boy who rejected the country genre for soul years ago. I think it was weird for him to go back to the "roots" he dug up so long ago. I noticed Taylor's body language during Kenny Rodgers' talk to the group. While the rest of the folks were facing Kenny, Taylor was turned in profile to Kenny, with his arm across his body like a shield. And Taylor couldn't have been too thrilled when Kenny lectured him on how his first note had to be great. Nobody needs to tell Taylor how to sing a song--certainly not an old hack like Rogers.
    Last edited by pillbeam; 04-05-2006 at 02:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jmb View Post
    I hope there is no truth in the rumor that he's TRYING to get kicked off so that he can move on to bigger and better things.
    He's bringing variety and a wonderful spark to this season.
    19E has the option to sign up any Top 10 contestant for a recording contract after the show is over. I am fairly certain they are prepared to sign Taylor no matter when--or if--he leaves the show. Also, Taylor seems like too nice a guy to deliberately let down his Soul Patrol.

+ Reply to Thread

LinkBacks (?)

1. 04-12-2007, 08:01 PM