+ Reply to Thread
Page 60 of 272 FirstFirst ... 10505152535455565758596061626364656667686970110160 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Taylor Hicks - Season 5

I've been listening to a lot of Taylor's live performances and his two CDs he made previously on one of his fan sites. Makes me love him even more, hearing great covers he's done and his original songs - he just puts so much passion into every song he sings. Whether he wins or not (I hope he does), he's already shown enough talent to get offered a recording contract, IMO.
    Sing & dance the night away!

giz
    Quote Originally Posted by dagney852000 View Post
    I hate to say this, but my ardor is cooling for this guy. He sang two songs in a row (Fade Away and Trouble) that I have never heard of, and, IMHO, both songs sucked.
    Dagney, I'm wondering how old you are? For my generation (I'm 42), if you like music, then you've heard either Buddy Holly or the Stones' version. I, for one, would not call Fade Away obscure. And I'd never heard Trouble before, but loved it on the first (and second and third) hearing. So, I don't know, personally I don't just want to hear them doing Celine Dion all the time, I appreciate hearing some good back catalogue myself. To each his own I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by scotty13 View Post
    This guy has the whole package as an entertainer, superstar quality. No teenybopper bubblegum appeal, so he may not make it to the end but he is the only one on this show who I would gladly lay down my hard earned bucks to see him in concert witht he possible exception of Mandisa. I wish she'd lay down some Aretha or Tina. I think she would definitely emerge as a favorite if she did.
    You had me until you mentioned Mandisa. I love Earl Grey. The man rocks!

Every week I am pleasantly surprised by what Taylor sings. He pulls it off every time. He just has that kind of voice, and enough music in him that allows for this.
    "At the beach, life is different. Time doesn't move hour to hour but mood to moment. We live by the currents, plan by the tides, and follow the sun." - anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolBabe View Post
    I've been listening to a lot of Taylor's live performances and his two CDs he made previously on one of his fan sites. Makes me love him even more, hearing great covers he's done and his original songs - he just puts so much passion into every song he sings. Whether he wins or not (I hope he does), he's already shown enough talent to get offered a recording contract, IMO.
    Yeah, and, Dagney, if you liked Taylor before and your ardor is cooling based on recent AI performances, why not download or listen to some of his songs (free) on the net, to get an idea of what he sounds like as a recording artist when he does his own material or gets to choose the covers he wants? Check out the Soul Patrol website or graycharles.com or taylormade.com and you'll get to hear quite a few songs. If you don't like blues or soul or artists like Ray Charles, Joe Cocker, Michael MacDonald, Leon Russell, etc., it might not be your cup of tea, but you'll get a much better 'taste' of Taylor than from the short song clips you get to hear on Idol.

As for not being familiar with songs, it always puzzles me when the judges or viewers complain because of that. There are many hit songs that I fell in love with the first time I heard them. Some songs have to grow on you but others don't. I had never heard the Ben Moody song that Elliott blew out of the water, but I loved it anyway.

I want to say one other thing about Taylor, the judges, and the contestants in general. I don't understand what all the fuss is about "range" (usually referring to pitch). A 3+octave range is impressive, but I don't like or dislike a song based on how many octaves it covers. I love Leonard Cohen, Jim Croce, Bob Seger, and Tracy Chapman -- none of whom strike me as using a wide pitch range. And I am not a big fan of Mariah Carey or Whitney Houston or Daniel Bedingfield just because they do.
    I think Taylor's range is just fine for the songs and styles he sings, and if Katharine or Elliott has a bigger range, that won't make me prefer them.
    Last edited by Grisabella; 04-04-2006 at 02:16 AM.
    Dogs have owners. Cats have staff. ;-D

Quote Originally Posted by giz View Post
    Dagney, I'm wondering how old you are? For my generation (I'm 42), if you like music, then you've heard either Buddy Holly or the Stones' version. I, for one, would not call Fade Away obscure. And I'd never heard Trouble before, but loved it on the first (and second and third) hearing. So, I don't know, personally I don't just want to hear them doing Celine Dion all the time, I appreciate hearing some good back catalogue myself. To each his own I guess.
    Actually, I am 38. Hate to say it, but I am going to commit high blaspheme and admit that I have never been a Stones fan (well, except for the song "Paint It Black." For some reason, I LOVE that song). Buddy Holly isn't my cup of joe either. Which is probably why I never heard the song "Fade Away."

And, I do agree that being familiar with the song choices isn't always the be-all, end-all. For instance, the very first time I heard "Hook" by Blues Traveler, I was,well, hooked. I don't know, I guess it is more that I don't like Taylor's recent choices, and wouldn't like them even if I heard them a million times.

But, that is just me. I still love the guy, still love his voice, love of music, enthusiasm and oddness. I still want him to win. I just want him to choose "better" songs, although the term "better" is as subjective as they come.

Dagney, I want Taylor to choose "better" songs, too. Except for Living In The City and Trouble, I don't think any of the songs Taylor has done since the semi-finals began are as impressive as the songs I've heard from his CDs (including Georgia On My Mind). He hasn't really let "America" hear his impressive voice and vocal styling yet.
    Dogs have owners. Cats have staff. ;-D

FORT Fogey
    Taylor has the music IN HIM. When he performs you can feel the JOY of singing.

This IMHO makes Taylor absolutely unique as an AI contestant. He lives through the songs he performs and this is I think is the sign of a raw true talent.

Just incredible.

I agree. When you feel that soul, rhythm and music from the singer performing a song, then you know he's good.
    "At the beach, life is different. Time doesn't move hour to hour but mood to moment. We live by the currents, plan by the tides, and follow the sun." - anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by Grisabella View Post
    Yeah, and, Dagney
    As for not being familiar with songs, it always puzzles me when the judges or viewers complain because of that. There are many hit songs that I fell in love with the first time I heard them. Some songs have to grow on you but others don't. I had never heard the Ben Moody song that Elliott blew out of the water, but I loved it anyway.
    The problem with obscure songs is that audience usually have to get a feel with the song first, then performance second. Contestants need to pull off a very entertaining performance that will blow the unfamiliarity.

+ Reply to Thread

LinkBacks (?)

1. 04-12-2007, 08:01 PM