+ Reply to Thread
Page 48 of 272 FirstFirst ... 38394041424344454647484950515253545556575898148 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Taylor Hicks - Season 5

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Does anyone know how the order of performance is determined?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Does anyone know how the order of performance is determined?

The producers usually follow basic showbiz rule: Start and end with your best performances (or most interesting performances), and run a good one in the middle, if possible. [They violated that rule for the first time last week, by starting with a weak performance--but Ace is strong for other reasons]. AI is first and foremost a musical variety show, and the producers want it to flow properly. They also occasionally space acts according to intensity--a softer performance might follow an edgier one.

After they determine who the best performers are for the night, they then adjust the lineup to goose up the contest, in my opinion. After reading about so much fan interest in Taylor on the Web, I suspect that Taylor is way ahead in the voting. In order to even the playing field, they've hyped Chris to the max by giving him the last performing slot, the smoke and glitter and better camera angles. The producers want the show to be a contest, after all. I had to laugh last week: The camera shots were so high from the ceiling looking down on Taylor, he looked like an ant.
    Last edited by pillbeam; 03-21-2006 at 01:44 PM.

You Dare Question Me? OrangeDingo's Avatar
    Granted, that wasn't his best performance. Granted, you couldn't really hear him for most of the song. But do you know what the difference is in Taylor that will ensure him a spot in (at least) the top four? He is a performer. Not to bash anybody, but folks such as Lisa are not performers. They just.. stand there and sing. They have no personality at all. That was the demise of the wonderful Latoya London.

Taylor, however, owns everything about his performances. He owns the song, the feeling, the stage and the crowd. His performances are all encompassing, which makes all the difference in the world.

When I go to a concert I don't want to see somebody sit on a chair and sing. I want to be able to stand up, sing along, dance and have a good time, and Taylor's personality, style, and performances give me every right to do just that.

So, what is the difference in Taylor that makes him so special? He has the It Factor that we are all talking about.

Taylor could run around the stage burping the alphabet and he would still find a way to make the crowd enjoy. That shows who the real stars are.

I had this really creepy dream that Taylor hicks got kicked out of the compotition. And Bobby Bennett was a muppet... Yeah, weard dream. Hope it never happens to Taylor, he did pretty well tonight!!

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeDingo View Post
    Granted, that wasn't his best performance...
    Taylor could run around the stage burping the alphabet and he would still find a way to make the crowd enjoy. That shows who the real stars are.
    fellow Canadians. I totally agree with what you just said.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

OrangeDingo!

I love Taylor. I think vocals only play a small part in why I like him. He has the full package. vocals, entertainment, he owns the stage, he knows how to put on a show, he feels the music, he makes the audience enjoy, he makes everyone smile, he's got a great personality, etc. He always makes me smile.

I had a dream last night about him, but that's another story.

Where was I? Oh, I tried to vote for him last night but got busy signals the whole time so I gave up.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Quote Originally Posted by dearkate View Post
    OrangeDingo!

I love Taylor. I think vocals only play a small part in why I like him. He has the full package. vocals, entertainment, he owns the stage, he knows how to put on a show, he feels the music, he makes the audience enjoy, he makes everyone smile, he's got a great personality, etc. He always makes me smile.

I had a dream last night about him, but that's another story.

Where was I? Oh, I tried to vote for him last night but got busy signals the whole time so I gave up.
    Here in Alabama naturally Taylor's line stays continually busy...I can usually get a couple of votes in while Ryan is running the recap and then I can get some votes in right before the 2 hour time frame is up...I think I got a total of 15 votes in for him last night...otherwise his line was busy....as a sidenote, the only other person's line who was busy (here) the whole 2 hours....Kellie!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

FORT Fanatic

Taylor last night

Taylor's performance last night was not the best , at least on our TV screens. However, you could still tell that the audience was completely wrapped up in him and that they were all having a ball. That is an entertainer. Perhaps it was not the song for him, but you could tell a good time was still had by all. I don't think he is in danger of going home.

I do hope that next week he brings it on and gets out the harmonica and just goes to it.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    I was totally unfamiliar with the song that Taylor did last night, but obviously he wasn't! I wasn't wild about it, but I did love his performance. It was showtime!!!

Wasn't the song called "Fade Away"? I think that has to do with why some of the lyrics were lost under the music. He was "fading away"; anyway, that's my theory and I'm sticking to it!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

My post from the performance thread:

Taylor: Great job singing and dancing. Funny. During the previous weeks, Simon said it didn't matter that Kelly's singing was bad, it was her "personality" that counted. This week, Simon is all of a sudden calling it a singing competition and saying that Taylor's dancing and personality don't count.

Simon prefaced his critique by saying "If you take Taylor's performance out of context it didn't work." But that's the point. Taylor's performance was meant to be taken WITHIN CONTEXT: ie. Taylor was aiming to perform the song in a '50s style. He was true to the era while putting his own spin on it. [Chris, on the other hand, did a version of a Johnny Cash song that made it virtually unrecognizable] Taylor is aiming to be the ultimate performer--and he's succeeding for me.

+ Reply to Thread

LinkBacks (?)

1. 04-12-2007, 08:01 PM