+ Reply to Thread
Page 45 of 272 FirstFirst ... 35363738394041424344454647484950515253545595145 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Taylor Hicks - Season 5

Quote Originally Posted by Tickety View Post
    Don't dye the hair!
    Ditto.

Don`t do it..........man.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    http://lfpress.ca/newsstand/Today/En...92073-sun.html

Grey-haired Idol not the norm

Fri, March 17, 2006

By JUDY MONCHUK, CP

CALGARY -- In an entertainment universe where Botox rules and youth is the ultimate goal, the mere suggestion of a grey-haired American Idol seems like a joke.

But Taylor Hicks, the effusive, harmonica-playing blues singer from Alabama, who looks older than his 29 years, has become an unlikely focus on the singing contest.

Even tweens, the show's target audience, applaud his individuality and unwillingness to revamp his image -- even if the soulful singer isn't their choice among the top 12 finalists.

"It's kind of brave of him," says Oliver, a Grade 7 pupil at the Calgary girls school, where all grades study and discuss the importance of being comfortable in their own skin.

"It's risky being out there with a different sort of beauty."

Oliver and classmates were horrified by a suggestion from Idol host Ryan Seacrest that Hicks, who started going grey at 15, is being pressured by the show's hairstylist to change his hair colour.

"He'd be giving in. It would be like he thought he wasn't good enough," said Jennifer, another pupil.

Hicks has become a hot topic online thanks to his unusual image, which is decidedly different from that of the average pop star. After all, two of the show's most successful winners -- Carrie Underwood and Kelly Clarkson -- have cover-girl looks to go along with beautiful voices.

A series of Hicks fansites have popped up on the Internet, including www.greycharles.com -- a nod to both his hair and his Ray Charles- influenced sound. Many include debates on whether he should cover the grey, which even Hicks says has become his "beacon" and set him apart from the other finalists.

In fact, "grey-haired idol" was Yahoo!'s top-searched buzz item after one of the Idol shows this month.

Hairstylist Patrick Trudeau, who clips locks at the Ginger Group, Calgary's trendiest salon, says Hicks would be crazy to cave in to pressure for a makeover.

"I love the fact that he's chosen to be natural," says Trudeau, who began going grey himself at 16. "A lot of people would say he's chosen to be plain, but in today's culture, with everybody colouring their hair, for him to choose to be natural makes him more of an individual."

It's doubtful his infectious smile or jerky dance moves will spawn a trend of young Hicksters opting against covering up the first indications of a salt-and-pepper look.

But his refusal to change has made Hicks easier to identify and that's a good thing in a competition, says Arlene Oak, who teaches the connection between culture and appearance in the University of Alberta's human ecology department.

"It's a way in which he stands out and that's positive in this environment," said Oak. "He's drawing attention to himself by being himself."

Still, no one believes a female contestant would have made it this far with grey hair.

"They'd get the image of a grandma," said Oliver.

I definitely have to agree with that last statement!!!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

**sorry for the double post**

http://www.knoxnews.com/kns/tv_and_r...549628,00.html

Gray-haired Hicks brings soul to 'Idol'
    By WADE KWON
    March 16, 2006

"American Idol" has seen its share of pop singers, country crooners, R&B divas and rock stars, but one finalist this season stands out as a soul man.
    Taylor Hicks describes his sound as pop-soul, singling out Ruben Studdard as his favorite from seasons past. Studdard, who won the title in 2003, "was one of the most soulful contestants on the show," Hicks said by phone from Hollywood.

Their styles aren't the only similarities: Hicks' middle name is Reuben.

And unlike Bo Bice, Huntsville, Ala., native and 2005 runner-up, Hicks, of Birmingham, Ala., said his sound is more soul and blues than rock. It's what separates him from Bice, and from this year's other finalists.

"If you listen to the heart of soul, from Otis Redding to Sam Cooke, there's an art to that," he said. He also Redding's performance of "Try a Little Tenderness" had to be seen as well as heard to be fully appreciated.

Hicks, 29, is the second-oldest contestant this season; Mandisa, a songstress from Antioch, Tenn., is older by just five days, he said. Those extra years might give Hicks an advantage over the others, some as young as 16.

"Considering I've had more years performing, playing every honky-tonk imaginable in the Southeast, that's helped a lot," he said.

His father, Brad Hicks, agrees, having watched his son perform at clubs and festivals around Alabama, sometimes to nearly-empty venues. "He had an uncommon interest in music as a child. He was 5 or 6 years old and wanted to sing and dance for everybody."

Even though Taylor plays guitar and harmonica in addition to singing, he's never had formal music lessons, said Brad Hicks, who works in nearby Jasper, Ala., as a dentist.

"We're a pretty grounded group, we're just plain folks from Birmingham," Brad said.

Given the choice of any song, Hicks said he would cover "Sweet Home Alabama," quickly adding, "Just kidding."

"There's so many great songs. You're talking about the whole spectrum of music.

"I'd pick 'Just the Two of Us' by Bill Withers. It takes you back to the soul AM radio days. I really like that style of music."

Hicks also listens to R&B, hip-hop and country, citing favorites such as Ronnie Milsap, Kenny Chesney and Montgomery, Ala.-based Dirty South rapper Deuce Komradz.

His colorful musical choices aren't unlike his colorful stage presence, from his salt-and-pepper hair to his harmonica jams.

As for his plans - from his image to his dating life - he is open to possibility. He said he'd even consider dyeing his distinctive salt-and-pepper hair, but "it would take a large sum of money from a (hair color company) sponsor."

Hicks mentioned that he's not dating anyone at the moment. "The only thing I'm attached to is my headphones, listening to the song I'm going to perform."

Taylor is the real deal, he feels the music and goes with it, he's a natural
    "Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole" Roger Caras

FORT Fogey
    No need to worry fans, Taylor would NEVER dye his hair because it's one of his trademarks. Stupid, he is not. He realizes that his individuality is his ticket for the victory.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama View Post
    Still, no one believes a female contestant would have made it this far with grey hair.

"They'd get the image of a grandma," said Oliver.

I definitely have to agree with that last statement!!!
    Well, if a female contestant had a problem with premature greying of her hair, I'd say she should bleach the remaining colour out and go completely white. That would certainly stand out and with the right hairstyle, could look very chic and not grandmotherly at all.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    I fully agree!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Here's an article I recently found about Taylor:

http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune....dol/index.html

I think a final two with Taylor and Katharine would be very interesting.. Oh well, we'll see. I love Taylor's natural enthusiasm about the show, with his "Woo!"s and all. lol
    2003-2008.

Ok..obviously my fave......love this guy!!

pure joy on his face!

this should be the photo of his album cover!!!

+ Reply to Thread

LinkBacks (?)

1. 04-12-2007, 08:01 PM