+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 272 FirstFirst 123456789101112131454104 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Taylor Hicks - Season 5

Taylor is my favorite by a long way. He's got it all: strong low voice, great phrasing, and a unique and charming personality.

From what I've heard of him on AI and his CD, this guy can span everything from blues to pure pop. I'm hoping he brings his folky side, too, since that's my favorite genre.

I also loved his entrance last night. He accomplished several things, one of which was to mock the ridiculous distance between the elevator and the judges. He also got himself more valuable performing air time.

Gang, please don't believe Randy's schtick about Simon "not liking" Taylor. Simon, so far, has smiled throughout at least two of Taylor's performances--something he's never done before in my memory. The AI producers are trying to drum up some drama by making Taylor out to be an underdog as far as Simon is concerned. But Simon has never criticized Taylor's performing. Simon wants Taylor in the final 10--after that Simon'll probably root for one of the younger guys to win.

And, it should go without saying, Taylor should keep the gray hair!

Quote Originally Posted by Lolls View Post
    I don't think his vibe is a "schtick." I think it is genuinely who he is. He is a musician, quirky but true to himself and the music he loves. I think his sincerity and his talent, so unique (how many blues artists have we had on AI?), will take him far.

I know some will not understand that his southern ways are not an act, but the real thing. I was raised to say yes sir and no sir, my accent is real, and I recognize him for what he is--a product of good old Alabama! Roll Tide!!
    I like him. And I don't think it's a schtick. He's real. I like his voice, so I'm rooting for him. But I can do without any more of that "roll tide" stuff, thanks

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam View Post
    ...Gang, please don't believe Randy's schtick about Simon "not liking" Taylor. Simon, so far, has smiled throughout at least two of Taylor's performances--something he's never done before in my memory. The AI producers are trying to drum up some drama by making Taylor out to be an underdog as far as Simon is concerned. But Simon has never criticized Taylor's performing. Simon wants Taylor in the final 10--after that Simon'll probably root for one of the younger guys to win...
    Well actually, Simon has criticized Taylor's performance skills and personality- he did so during Taylor's audition (I don't think he was impressed by the guy's looks, either . He did, however, admit that Taylor could sing. And I did notice that Simon was amused by Taylor's entrance, but he seemed annoyed when Taylor began singing about American Idol. I think Simon is probably worried that Taylor could win this thing (apparently, Taylor is not what the producers are looking for).

Quote Originally Posted by Thonolan View Post
    Well actually, Simon has criticized Taylor's performance skills and personality- he did so during Taylor's audition.
    I saw the same audition and Simon said nothing negative about Taylor's performing. In fact, I watched Simon very carefully to see what he would say about this unique guy. Simon only seemed to imply he didn't like the guy's appearance, but even that seemed vague. Simon usually doesn't like performers who look older than their age. Since the first audition, I think Simon has been so intrigued about Taylor's performing that he "can't wait to see what he does next," as Simon said last week. Simon hates to be bored. Taylor has generated a lot of fan interest, so there's no doubt in my mind that Simon, as a quasi producer of AI, wants Taylor in the final 10. The producers and Simon, first and foremost, want the ratings for AI to keep soaring. Folks like Taylor make that happen.

FORT Fogey
    I saw the same audition and Simon said nothing negative about Taylor's performing.
    Paula said Taylor had a great personality, was a such a fun performer, etc. and Simon rolled his eyes, did a doubletake, and said "I couldn't disagree with you more". To me, that's criticizing the guy's peformance skills and personality. He also said Taylor "is not a star, and should be performing in the background" or some such nonsense.

Go Father Ted!

Hope we get to see more of his harmonica skills.

Paula said Taylor had a great personality, was a such a fun performer, etc. and Simon rolled his eyes, did a doubletake, and said "I couldn't disagree with you more". To me, that's criticizing the guy's peformance skills and personality. He also said Taylor "is not a star, and should be performing in the background" or some such nonsense.

I guess I interepreted that stuff differently. For Simon, that kind of reaction is not bad. Usually when he dislikes someone's talent, he says outright that they suck and should go back to home to the sticks and never set foot on stage again. And he usually reserves his "you should be performing in the background" comments for people who can sing but lack "star" potential. Simon probably still thinks Taylor lacks star potential and wants want of the young boys to win, but Simon knows that Taylor is one of the crucial elements for the success of this year's ratings. I still maintain that this "Simon doesn't like Taylor" stuff is all an act, at this point.

FORT Fogey
    Pillbeam, I never said Simon disliked Taylor Hicks. I only said that Simon claimed to have issues with Taylor's looks, personality and performance skills. But he did admit that Taylor could sing. And I do believe that Simon is afraid that Hicks could win. I also believe that Simon will expend an awful lot of energy to make sure that he doesn't win. I only hope that Paula and Randy continue to stick up for him.

I guess I interepreted that stuff differently. For Simon, that kind of reaction is not bad. Usually when he dislikes someone's talent, he says outright that they suck and should go back to home to the sticks and never set foot on stage again. And he usually reserves his "you should be performing in the background" comments for people who can sing but lack "star" potential. Simon probably still thinks Taylor lacks star potential and wants want of the young boys to win, but Simon knows that Taylor is one of the crucial elements for the success of this year's ratings. I still maintain that this "Simon doesn't like Taylor" stuff is all an act, at this point.
    Simon said that George Huff was a background singer and then chose him for the Wild Card spot, so there are alot of things about what Simon says that come back to bite him.

I believe that Simon doesn't like the overacting on Taylor's part but does believe that he can be marketed if he goes high enough or wins the whole competition.

Also, Simon is constantly criticized for pushing his opinion of who WILL win the competition, so maybe he is trying a little reverse psychology this year?

I also believe that Simon will expend an awful lot of energy to make sure that he doesn't win. I only hope that Paula and Randy continue to stick up for him.
    I agree with you. While I'm certain Simon wants to see Taylor in the competition long enough to boost AI's ratings, I don't think he wants Taylor to win. Simon might say nice things about Taylor in the next few weeks, then "Nadiaize" him--rip him apart around the Top 5. I'm not looking forward to it, but Taylor seems to have a good enough sense of humor to get through it.

+ Reply to Thread

LinkBacks (?)

1. 04-12-2007, 08:01 PM