+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Taylor Hicks - Season 5

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Re: Taylor Hicks - Season 5

I totally agree with you wisgalb...I had heard rumors but didn't have anything that necessarily substantiated those rumors....I don't have a problem with him being dropped by his label and don't feel like its a death sentence for him. His true fans will follow him wherever he may go. I believe that he, just like Bo, is happy to play music and doesn't have to become mega-superstars in order to fill fulfilled.

Hicks is looking forward to a busy 2008 with a primary goal being a new album out in stores.

"I think I'll have a lot more freedom creatively this go-around," says Hicks, whose self-titled last CD came out seven months after he won "Idol."

"I'll also have the time now to create an album without the post-winning-'Idol' constrictions," he says. "I have time for the album to breathe artistically."
    This says it all....a chance to be who HE wants to be....

Taylor, Bo and Ruben didn't fit their "mold" and I'm ok with that....I'll still stand behind them and support them....and still be a big AI fan and supporter! Without AI, I wouldn't know who Taylor, Bo and Ruben were....
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama;2742106;
    I totally agree with you wisgalb...I had heard rumors but didn't have anything that necessarily substantiated those rumors....I don't have a problem with him being dropped by his label and don't feel like its a death sentence for him. His true fans will follow him wherever he may go. I believe that he, just like Bo, is happy to play music and doesn't have to become mega-superstars in order to fill fulfilled.

This says it all....a chance to be who HE wants to be....

Taylor, Bo and Ruben didn't fit their "mold" and I'm ok with that....I'll still stand behind them and support them....and still be a big AI fan and supporter! Without AI, I wouldn't know who Taylor, Bo and Ruben were....
    I don't usually diasgree with you BB, but, I believe that being signed to a label, for all they can provide is better than going it on your own. Distribution chain alone is worth the cost. Getting your music out there & into the hands of the consumers is what these guys should be after. Bo & Constantine have experiences almost no luck with the go it alone policy. Taylor may just experience he same thing. As to the highlighted sentence...that didn't happen for Bo, either that or he had a smaller fanbase that we all believed.

I think I've heard in the past about artists recording an album on their own and then shopping it around to labels for distribution. Maybe if Taylor pursues that method, supply chain issues won't be an issue.

I totally feel that Taylor was screwed over by AI by their lack of promotion and general ignoring of him and hopefully will find a company more in line with his musical direction.
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...usually on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that.

Quote Originally Posted by MiaT2;2742717;
    I think I've heard in the past about artists recording an album on their own and then shopping it around to labels for distribution. Maybe if Taylor pursues that method, supply chain issues won't be an issue.

I totally feel that Taylor was screwed over by AI by their lack of promotion and general ignoring of him and hopefully will find a company more in line with his musical direction.
    I whole heartedly agree with you on that point.

Musically speaking Motown would be a good fit for Taylor. I'm not sure how well Barry Gordy and Taylor would meld as a team.
    Last edited by roses4me; 01-05-2008 at 03:38 PM.
    ~~~~

I can't think when I have to think. ~~moi~~

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;2742695;
    I don't usually diasgree with you BB, but, I believe that being signed to a label, for all they can provide is better than going it on your own. Distribution chain alone is worth the cost. Getting your music out there & into the hands of the consumers is what these guys should be after. Bo & Constantine have experiences almost no luck with the go it alone policy. Taylor may just experience he same thing. As to the highlighted sentence...that didn't happen for Bo, either that or he had a smaller fanbase that we all believed.
    Oh I do agree that being signed to a label is better than going at it alone but if you are signed to a label and they are doing next to nothing to promote you, then is it really all that much better? Taylor has seemed to be the red headed stepchild for the AI chain and I think he's always known that to a certain extent.

As far as Bo is concerned, I think so many people who loved him on AI were very disappointed in the 1st CD he released. They had such high hopes that he would have that good ole Southern rock CD and it was far from it. Its hard to get that momentum back......I bought his 1st CD and liked it...bought his 2nd CD and loved it....it was more true to the Bo we saw on TV....

I do think that Bo and Taylor are 2 artists who are better live performers than on a CD....I thoroughly love watching them perform.

Leo
    Premium Member

I honestly think that for some artists (not all, some) - particular those who tend to have somewhat more niche appeal like Bo and Taylor - we're getting to the point where having or not having a record deal doesn't matter much. The music business is changing a lot, and the labels don't matter as much as they used to.

Originally Posted by MiaT2

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;2742762;
    I whole heartedly agree with you on that point.
    So do I, agree. AI tptb did absolutely nothing for Taylor. Taylor seemed to be doing all the work, making appearances, keeping in touch with his fans, his name out there.

I hope his next cd does very well!! Ruben's too.

Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama;2742917;
    Oh I do agree that being signed to a label is better than going at it alone but if you are signed to a label and they are doing next to nothing to promote you, then is it really all that much better? Taylor has seemed to be the red headed stepchild for the AI chain and I think he's always known that to a certain extent.

As far as Bo is concerned, I think so many people who loved him on AI were very disappointed in the 1st CD he released. They had such high hopes that he would have that good ole Southern rock CD and it was far from it. Its hard to get that momentum back......I bought his 1st CD and liked it...bought his 2nd CD and loved it....it was more true to the Bo we saw on TV....

I do think that Bo and Taylor are 2 artists who are better live performers than on a CD....I thoroughly love watching them perform.
    Taylor's music is very different, it's not the type of music most artists record these days, that will get much air play but it's still very good. On AC stations he'll be heard.

Bo Bice, love his voice on AI, he sang so well but his cds, 1st and 2nd, I didn't like the songs.

From Taylor's myspace: Link Here

A statement from Taylor: To all my fans and The Soul Patrol, I want to take a moment to talk about the recent news that my label and I have mutually parted ways. The important thing for all of you to remember is that I've been a working musician my whole life. This is turning the page on a new chapter of my career. Artistic freedom and control is an exciting prospect. The things that are most important to me is creating my art, performing it, and my fans. With the momentum that all of you have created over the years, Taylor Hicks is not going to stop anytime soon. I've started working on the new album, writing and scheduling exciting collaborations. The DVD, Whomp at the Warfield, is in it's final stages, and will be released soon. So as one door closes, a new one opens for 2008 with more excitement for all my fans than ever before. Sit tight, because the best is yet to come!

+ Reply to Thread

LinkBacks (?)

1. 04-12-2007, 08:01 PM