+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Taylor Hicks - Season 5

Re: Taylor Hicks - Season 5

Did anyone see his performance at the Liberty Bowl? I missed it. Any details would be greatly appreciated.

There's a website which is located known as soul-patrol.com
    It's for black soul music, but I don't know if The Rightgeous Brothers, Taylor Hicks, et al, are included. Does anyone know anything about this site? I'm wondering who coined the phrase first?
    ~~~~

I can't think when I have to think. ~~moi~~

Quote Originally Posted by roses4me;2737916;
    Did anyone see his performance at the Liberty Bowl? I missed it. Any details would be greatly appreciated.

There's a website which is located known as soul-patrol.com
    It's for black soul music, but I don't know if The Rightgeous Brothers, Taylor Hicks, et al, are included. Does anyone know anything about this site? I'm wondering who coined the phrase first?
    My understanding is that the halftime show was not shown of television, but there was an interview that was shown during the second half of the game. I did see performance on a different sight from someone that was at the game, but I'm not able to link the sight.
    I don't know anything about the website from above.

Here is another article:

‘Idol’ sings the blues in Manila - INQUIRER.net, Philippine News for Filipinos

‘Idol’ sings the blues in Manila

By Fran Katigbak
    Philippine Daily Inquirer
    First Posted 19:07:00 01/01/2008

Close this MANILA, Philippines—It’s not easy singin’ the blues to an audience whose daily dose of music comes from skinny teenyboppers, booty-shaking divas and bling-clad “boys from the ’hood.”

Not if you are gray-haired and inclined to play the harmonica or if your dancing looks drug-induced.

But just as he defied pop stereotypes when he won “American Idol” Season 5, soul singer Taylor Hicks also proved it pays to stay true to his style and brand of music.

Filipino fans, even those as young as 6, watched the 31-year-old artist in a series of shows recently sponsored by the Ayala Malls in Manila.

At the show in TriNoma, Hicks was in his element singing tracks from his self-titled album as well as songs he composed early in his career. Of course, not to be missed were the Alabama native’s harmonica-playing and the manic, footloose moves that became his trademark on “AI.”

The chemistry was apparent between the artist and the all-Pinoy band led by composer Louie Ocampo, who had arranged the songs in the program. In fact, the audience would erupt in cheers and wild applause each time Hicks and Ocampo matched antics on the harmonica and keyboards.

The rest of the band had the chance to shine as well. At one point in the show, Hicks introduced each member who then worked up a brief solo on his or her instrument.

Perhaps the only hitch was the fog machine, which produced more artificial smoke than necessary. A wide screen should have been installed to project close-up video shots for the benefit of those behind the VIP/special-pass area.

We also wish Hicks had walked to the audience in “Taking it to the Streets,” like he did on the “AI” finale, but we understand the danger it might pose to security.

The mini-concert put the spotlight on the 2006 “American Idol” as artist and performer. Soulful, energetic, passionate with his music, Taylor Hicks has, indeed, given us reason to be proud of him.
    Last edited by wisgalb; 01-02-2008 at 04:36 PM. Reason: spelling

Taylor must have flown in for the bowl game and then gone back to the Philippines. That's a lot of frequent flyer miles.

It would be nice if he had the former AI contestant from those islands performing with her. Yikes, I can't remember her name.

Thanks for posting the article, wisgalb.
    ~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by roses4me;2739617;
    Taylor must have flown in for the bowl game and then gone back to the Philippines. That's a lot of frequent flyer miles.

It would be nice if he had the former AI contestant from those islands performing with her. Yikes, I can't remember her name.

Thanks for posting the article, wisgalb.
    There two during Season 3. Camille Velasco & Jasmine Trias.

Rumor mill running here that Taylor has been dropped by his record label. Has anyone else heard anything?

Quote Originally Posted by graycat11;2741577;
    Rumor mill running here that Taylor has been dropped by his record label. Has anyone else heard anything?
    We have two of the greatest online "reporters" here who will get to the bottom of this horrible rumor. Bbnbama and wisagalb - let the investigation begin!
    ~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by roses4me;2741695;
    We have two of the greatest online "reporters" here who will get to the bottom of this horrible rumor. Bbnbama and wisagalb - let the investigation begin!
    You didn't include me in the investigators but, According to this, the rumor is true.

Taylor Hicks, Ruben Studdard dropped from J Records? | American Idol, Music Biz | Hollywood Insider | EW.com

Taylor Hicks, Ruben Studdard dropped from J Records?
    It seems winning American Idol is no guarantee that you'll actually keep your major label deal. Just before Christmas, rumors began circulating that season 2's Ruben Studdard, who released three albums for J Records since 2003 (the latest, 2006's The Return, to modest sales), had been dropped. (Studdard continues his management contract with 19 Entertainment.) Now the Hollywood Insider hears that season 5 winner Taylor Hicks has also lost his J Records deal. "Taylor is going to record his next album on his own," said a label rep. "He is no longer on the J Records roster." Back in March 2007, we wrote about Hicks' performance on the charts and later analyzed several more Idol hits and misses. What does this mean for the latest winner, Jordin Sparks? Or, with season 7 kicking off on January 15, the franchise's star-making power?

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;2741751;
    You didn't include me in the investigators but, According to this, the rumor is true.

Taylor Hicks, Ruben Studdard dropped from J Records? | American Idol, Music Biz | Hollywood Insider | EW.com

Taylor Hicks, Ruben Studdard dropped from J Records?
    It seems winning American Idol is no guarantee that you'll actually keep your major label deal. Just before Christmas, rumors began circulating that season 2's Ruben Studdard, who released three albums for J Records since 2003 (the latest, 2006's The Return, to modest sales), had been dropped. (Studdard continues his management contract with 19 Entertainment.) Now the Hollywood Insider hears that season 5 winner Taylor Hicks has also lost his J Records deal. "Taylor is going to record his next album on his own," said a label rep. "He is no longer on the J Records roster." Back in March 2007, we wrote about Hicks' performance on the charts and later analyzed several more Idol hits and misses. What does this mean for the latest winner, Jordin Sparks? Or, with season 7 kicking off on January 15, the franchise's star-making power?
    This is not surprising to me -I don't know about the rest of you, but this is good news as far as I'm concerned.

Taylor was never promoted, pushed or supported like other winners and contestants from that show. He was made to put out an album that he surely had to compromise on and a record that certainly wasn't in line or sounded like his first 2.
    The fact that Taylor's TH.com website recently disappeared and redirected to his myspace makes a LOT of sense now. When Taylor put up "The Fall" on his myspace a few months ago might have been the parting point. We should have figured that out. I have read repeatly that there has been no stocking of Taylor's CD in the stores? Red-Flag alert! There recenly as the comment by Taylor about "was" when asked about Clive - this was a give-away.
    I completely believe Taylor is no longer with J Records, and that's fine with me. Taylor looked absolutely giddy during his recent trip to Asia and on the Liberty Bowl, so I think he's happy with it too.

al.com: Everything Alabama

Taylor Hicks talks about 'Asian Idol' and plans for 2008
    Friday, January 04, 2008ALEC HARVEY

Taylor Hicks was at home - almost.

The familiar "Idol" set was behind him, and he was on stage singing "Do I Make You Proud."

But the Birmingham native was nearly 9,000 miles away from the Kodak Theatre in Los Angeles, where he won the "American Idol" title in 2006. This was Jakarta, Indonesia, and the leader of the Soul Patrol was gyrating on stage during "Asian Idol."

"It was definitely an eye-opening experience having been to that part of the world," Hicks said last week, shortly after returning to the U.S. "The set was very similar, but the singers were sure different."

Hicks, 31, had never been to Asia, much less performed there, so he jumped at the chance to perform on "Asian Idol," followed by a concert in Manila.

"I've done two pretty extensive national tours in the past year, so we started looking for some interest overseas," Hicks says. "It was amazing the interest that was there."

Hicks says his reception in Asia was "warm and gracious."

"As soon as I hit Indonesian soil, they knew who I was, and it was a little nerve-wracking at first," he says.

Turns out "Do I Make You Proud," which debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard singles chart just after Hicks won "Idol," made its way around the world.

"`Do I Make You Proud' is a nice-sized hit in Asia," Hicks says. "People know me over there because of that. It's amazing that the song I didn't think was right for me has taken off over there."
    Something else made an impression on the Asians as well.

"As soon as I walked on stage in South Jakarta in Indonesia, I saw this big, huge `Soul Patrol' sign," Hicks says with a laugh. "They were yelling `Soul Patrol!' and the whole nine yards. I never knew the Soul Patrol would go internationally this quickly, but it has."

So Hicks gave them what they wanted, singing three songs during the show.
    "I don't think they get to see too many white soul singers dance and get funky like that," he says. "The key for me to be able to communicate my music to them was the dancing and more of the visible aspects of the performing as opposed to the lyrics."

Hicks is looking forward to a busy 2008 with a primary goal being a new album out in stores.

"I think I'll have a lot more freedom creatively this go-around," says Hicks, whose self-titled last CD came out seven months after he won "Idol."

"I'll also have the time now to create an album without the post-winning-'Idol' constrictions," he says. "I have time for the album to breathe artistically."

Hicks also has time for other things.

Although he still declines to discuss his personal life, he has been linked to Milwaukee TV anchor Caroline Lyders. After his appearances in Asia, Hicks headed to Milwaukee before heading back down South.

Hicks is affably evasive about where "home" is these days.

"For now, if I'm in one place for two weeks, then that's where I live," he says. "Milwaukee is one of those places."

And he's working out the details of the club he hopes to open in downtown Birmingham's planned entertainment district. He and 2003 Idol Ruben Studdard have committed to opening nightclubs in the district.

"I haven't signed anything, but I'm planning on it," Hicks says. "Some fine-tuning needs to be done, and they're working the details out."

But you can bet on one thing - Hicks won't have a club in name only.

"I'm kind of a hands-on kind of dude, you know?" he says. "I wouldn't get into something like that if I didn't feel like there was a call for it and that I could add to it. A place for some songwriters and some musicians to go is always a good thing."

Right now, Hicks is still taking in "Idol" and what his against-all-odds win has done for his career.

"Playing at Ona's and WorkPlay and all those places a couple of years ago to playing in front of millions of people in Asia is mind-boggling," he says. "I couldn't have done any of it without the massive support I got from the people in Alabama, and I thank them for that.

"It's a very cool opportunity to go somewhere in a different part of the world and then come home to talk about it," Hicks adds. "That was the furthest this Alabama boy has ever been."

Sorry razorbacker! Yikes, I forgot you come here, too.

I was wondering why his website wasn't up anymore and sending me to his MySpace page, although it wouldn't load for me today.

Hopefully, he's going to sign with a soul-based company who will promote his obvious talents.

Thanks for all the information everyone (especially razorbacker )
    ~~~~

+ Reply to Thread

LinkBacks (?)

1. 04-12-2007, 08:01 PM