+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 272 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313272122 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Taylor Hicks - Season 5

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam View Post
    I agree, Levon wasn't Taylor's best work. But the "change in tempo" issue has a lot to do with the AI music arrangers butchering the song by cutting out large chunks of lyrics and the smooth transitions that Elton wrote into it. Taylor is brilliant with changes in tempo, but not when the song's tempo has been screwed up. It's the same problem for the other singers. In addition, a lot of these songs don't lend themselves to being chopped up musically. They need longer lyrical build-ups to give impact to the chorus refrain--that was definitely true for Levon.
    Very well put pillbeam. Couldn't agree more
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

FORT Newbie

Ray Charles Quote

I was reading some old article from an old Life magazine (1967) interviewing the great Ray Charles and I stumbled across this quote from him that explains Taylor Hicks to a "T" :

"Soul is when you take a song and make it part of you -- a part that's so true, so real... it's like electricity; we don't really know what it is, do we? But it's a force that can light a room..."
    After reading this quote, I couldn't help but think about this overwhelming response to Taylor Hicks ( I mean, he's only been on TV for about 15 minutes and his only CD is already sold out and copies are being sold on eBay for $60 !! ). Suddenly, the above quote gave me a "THAT'S IT" epiphany.

Ray Charles EXPLAINED TAYLOR HICKS AND HIS MUSIC !!! The man FEELS his songs and when he sings them, they practically become a part of him.

This is what separates him from the more technically well performing singers -- GENUINE EMOTION -- HEART AND SOUL. People respond to that,

This is of course not easy to find nowadays. When you see it, you get either an overwhelmingly POSITIVE or NEGATIVE response ( depending on how you handle it ). It is either a positive freak out ( WE LOVE HIM ), or a negative freak out ( WE HATE THIS GUY ). That is why on a lot of message boards, you see Taylor with the MOST number of posts ( both positive and negative ). He is a polarizing figure, no doubt.

I for one DO NOT BELIEVE HE IS FAKING IT or IMMITATING Ray Charles. People who know him and have seen him perform in his "soul fires" circuits down south know the man well enough to tell us that he is a genuine fellow without pretensions.

Personally he evokes feelings of joy in me when he sings ( and I have his 7 song CD plus his incredible version of Georgia on My Mind <-- which I believe he will no doubt perform ).

Everybody loves Taylor & so do I.... This season is the toughest of all imo...
    Too much talent to choose from, but this dude will be there in the end!!!
    Good luck to Taylor... I love my NC guys (Chris & Bucky), but props to Taylor for he so belongs in this competition!!! He's got what it takes!!!

FORT Fogey
    As I have stated numerous times, this season is the most predictable ever because it's a no-brainer that Taylor Hicks will win. Why? Because he is unlike anything we have ever seen before. Honestly, I think he will fizzle just like the other flops (ie Ruben & Fantasia), but hey, the show has to end at some point right?

Perhaps in the future I will feel differently, but for now this is how I feel.

Pharoah, I agree with you to a point- Taylor is one of my favorites as far as talent and individuality- but I have to say that I see more talent in two other contenders.
    Go Tigers!

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    Pharoah, I agree with you to a point- Taylor is one of my favorites as far as talent and individuality- but I have to say that I see more talent in two other contenders.

Snoopy,
    I don't particularly care for Taylor. He is just unique. It begins and ends there. He does not have an amazing voice and he is downright odd. I will take your two and raise you two that are also better.

Can I just say that I am a huge van morrison/ boz scaggs fan , and he reminds me of both, so I like his style.
    Go Tigers!

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Pharoah View Post
    As I have stated numerous times, this season is the most predictable ever because it's a no-brainer that Taylor Hicks will win. Why? Because he is unlike anything we have ever seen before. Honestly, I think he will fizzle just like the other flops (ie Ruben & Fantasia), but hey, the show has to end at some point right?

Perhaps in the future I will feel differently, but for now this is how I feel.
    How exactly have Ruben and Fantasia been "flops"?

Nimmy is my American Idol Enya Windo's Avatar
    I don't think they have been. Their albums did pretty well and I think they get played on urban stations too. I think some people compare their albums to Breakaway but that's not fair. It was not Kelly's first CD.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharoah View Post
    Honestly, I think he will fizzle just like the other flops (ie Ruben & Fantasia), but hey, the show has to end at some point right?

If I were Taylor, I would love to "flop" the way Ruben has (double-platinum selling artist) and Fantasia (platinum selling).

With failures like that, Taylor could go far in life.

+ Reply to Thread

LinkBacks (?)

1. 04-12-2007, 08:01 PM