+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Taylor Hicks - Season 5

Heard, read that Taylor's doing several concerts in Alabama.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Quote Originally Posted by graycat11;2269420;
    Heard, read that Taylor's doing several concerts in Alabama.
    He's already been to Mobile, was in Huntsville last night and will be in Birmingham Saturday night! From one end of the state to the other!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

The City Paper - Smart, Fast, Free

Hicks is carrying the banner of modern soul
    By Ron Wynn
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Like other American Idol winners such as Reuben Studdard and Fantasia Barrino, Birminghamís Taylor Hicks has a rugged, natural sound that emerges on any type of song he performs.

A devotee of Sam Cooke, Otis Redding and Arthur Conley as well as the more obscure fellow Alabama soul/blues icon Eddie Hinton, Hicks is now on tour bringing to sold-out audiences the style he deems "modern soul." Hicks, whoíll appear tonight at the Ryman Auditorium, acknowledges there were certain things he insisted on for his self-titled Arista release.

"(Famed recording executive) Clive (Davis) would call in and ask how things were going from time to time when we recorded," Hicks said. "I insisted on having one producer and one A&R person for the complete project. I really wanted to maintain the artistic integrity and ensure that it really be the type of vehicle that would honestly reflect my music and my sound. Iím pretty happy with how it turned out."

Part of Hicksí desire not to fall into the trap of making generic material is reflected in his choice of "Whenever I Lay My Hat" on the disc, a Marvin Gaye tune Gaye co-wrote with Barrett Strong and Norman Whitfield thatís not heard anywhere as often as "Ainít That Peculiar" or "How Sweet It Is" or for that matter, "Whatís Going On" or "Sexual Healing."

"I sure didnít want to just do the same old thing or any of the Marvin Gaye tunes that are familiar," Hicks said.

Another sign of his deep roots in the blues can be heard on "Gonna Move," an animated tune that includes a slashing Hicksí harmonica solo and a mournful, declarative attack that echoes Hinton at his best.

But Hicks also shows on "Places Iíve Seen," a Diane Warren piece, that he can do straight pop with distinction (Paul Simon and Van Morrison are other names he cites as favorites, as well as country Hall-of-Famers Alabama).

Hicks credits Nashville, where he lived and worked earlier in the decade, for giving him vital training in the music business.

"Being in Nashville taught me a lot about listening and understanding music," Hicks said. "The songwriters there are fantastic, and I really learned about what it took to write not just a good song but one that means something ("The Deal" and "Soul Thing" are Hicksí compositions on the current CD). He now owns the masters to the recordings he made here."

But everything changed for Hicks after he won the audition to appear on American Idol. He succeeded despite the open reservations of Simon Cowell.

While Cowell publicly admitted he was wrong in an assessment that Hicks wouldnít make it to the finals, let alone win, thereís been plenty written about the supposed tension between Hicks and Cowell, something Hicks dismisses.

"What you see really is what you get in terms of Simon," Hicks said. "But we werenít feuding backstage or fighting off the set. I saw him at a party after the last show and I havenít seen or heard from him since then. But he wasnít particularly bad to me, and he didnít single me out for anything."

"American Idol is a great show and I owe it everything in terms of my control. If thereís any negative thing I would say about it that would be the hurry up and wait part that comes as you move up the line. But in terms of establishing an identity, helping you reach an audience, getting started, it has been the greatest thing that ever happened to me."

Hicks triumphed May 24 of last year, in a process that drew a staggering 63.4 million votes cast and a worldwide audience surpassing 200 million viewers. Hicks also smashed the age barrier, becoming the oldest champion at 29.

"The best thing about this current tour is getting a chance to appear in some of the greatest venues in America," Hicks said. "A place like the Ryman is so special in terms of music history, and itís the kind of place that you dream about playing in when youíre growing up. Thatís the most wonderful thing about having won on the show, because now you go out and appear in front of great audiences and bring modern soul music to these fantastic sites."

Ohh...it would be awesome to see Taylor play at the Ryman! All that history connected to the building and such.

I haven't forgotten about posting the pictures....Between watching AI and Lost last night, I also had to "battle" hooking up a laptop to a wireless router (that still isn't working correctly) so I didn't have a chance to post them but I will......I promise!

Video from Nashville
    Taylor Hicks Rocks The Ryman

Taylor Hicks Rocks The Ryman | WKRN.COM

Undercover - American Idol Taylor Hicks To Perform Show For Tornado Victims

American Idol Taylor Hicks To Perform Show For Tornado Victims
    By Paul Cashmere
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

American Idol winner Taylor Hicks will donate funds from this hometown show in Birmingham, Alabama to victims of the tornado that stuck Enterprise, Alabama on March 2nd, killing eight students.

"This tragedy affected me very personally," says Hicks in a statement. "I know Enterprise, and have friends from there. When I heard the news, I wanted to be able to do something concrete to help all of the folks affected by the tornado. And I wanted to do it sooner rather than later, as these people need our help now."

Hicks has invited the Red Cross to his show to collect donations.

Hicks will also receive the key to the city when he comes home for the show next week on March 10 and 11.

Thanks for posting that wonderful article, Wisgalb. This is why I admire him so much. He helps whenever he can. I haven't heard any of the other AI contestants doing as much as he has/is.
    ~~~~

I can't think when I have to think. ~~moi~~

Some Alabama press
    al.com: Everything Alabama

Taylor looks back
    Friday, March 09, 2007By MARY COLURSO
    Taylor Hicks is in bed.

That's the first thing he says after picking up the phone in Knoxville, Tenn., on a recent Saturday afternoon.

But don't swoon, Soul Patrol. Calm those fluttering hearts.

Hicks isn't trying to make a provocative statement; he's simply recovering from a long night on the road during his national tour.

"We got to the hotel around 8:15 a.m.," he says. "Then you eat breakfast and go back to sleep for a while. This schedule is about as abnormal as you can get for normal folks."

There's nothing normal about being a celebrity - especially an "American Idol" winner who's been catapulted to fame on television. During six crucial months in 2006, Hicks went from Birmingham bar singer to worldwide star, all because of a singing contest on a top-rated reality show.

Now he's on the road with a seven-piece band, performing tunes from his self-titled debut disc on the RCA label. The Gray-Haired Guy, 30, will be back in his hometown this weekend for two sold-out shows at the Alabama Theatre.

Much has happened to Hicks since he took the "Idol" crown. He's had sit-downs with Jay Leno, Ellen DeGeneres and Dr. Phil. He's performed at the tree-lighting ceremony in Rockefeller Center. He's done crafts on TV with Martha Stewart. He's tossed beads as the grand marshal of the Krewe of Endymion parade at Mardi Gras in New Orleans.

Which events, post- "Idol," have been the most memorable and exciting? We asked Hicks to name the top five moments in his "you know you're famous if ..." category. Here's what he said:

1. "Riding in the tour bus and getting on the Jersey turnpike, with a full moon over New York City. This happened on the "Idol" tour, when it first started coming into New York City. You make a little circle, right under the tunnel, and come out in this brand-new tour bus. And I was in the passenger seat; I wasn't driving. It was one of those moments when you know you've moved on to a different level in your career."

2. "Giving high-fives with the President of the United States, on several occasions, and he calls you by your first name. It's all fun when it happens, but when you have time to think about it later, it's pretty amazing. This happened when I was doing the Christmas special on TNT in Washington. It was a pretty festive atmosphere. He called me Taylor. I called him Mr. President."

3. "Being so close to Ray Charles' people. Being in his studio, my mentor's studio. Getting a jacket and sunglasses that belonged to him, to put on the wall of a house I don't have yet. On my next album, I'll record a song in that studio.

"I was really interested in music performed live by Ray Charles, so they took me down to the music vault and everything was labeled in Braille. I bent down and picked up a box; in it was Ray Charles live in Tokyo, on a reel-to-reel. It was nice. It confirmed and validated me, being there with those people. It couldn't be more relevant. It felt like I was supposed to be there."

4. "Having my name called out in the gallery at a PGA event - not just to sing the national anthem, but to hit a freaking golf ball. It was one of the most nerve-wracking things I've done in my whole life. That particular event allowed me to be a natural entertainer, in a completely different atmosphere, without the pressure. If I made a good shot, it was really cool. If I made a bad shot, everyone laughed.

"Alice Cooper and Scott Hamilton and I made a pretty good team (in the Bob Hope Chrysler Classic). On the fairway, people were having a party, bowing down to Alice and going `We're not worthy!' Then they'd look at me and go, `Whoo!' `We're not worthy!' `Whoo!' `We're not worthy!' `Whoo!' It was a blast."

5. "Really feeling the energy of all the people who are fans. I've always wanted to perform for crowds of people. The more people I perform to, the more energy they give me to give back to them. It's easier to reciprocate that energy. I walk into some of these theaters, and it's standing room only. I've created an audience for myself as an entertainer. When it happens, it's the greatest gift God can give you." I did an outdoor event for 22,000 people at Universal Studios. It was a tour stop. There's a Mardi Gras parade that goes through the park and everybody plays. They closed Universal Studios down to see me perform. That was great."

I'm going to post a few of my pics from the Huntsville concert right now and then I'll post more later. Its funny...going back through my pics that I took a lot of my pics are blurry because Taylor is constantly in motion!

This is what the stage looked like:

Here he is:

+ Reply to Thread

LinkBacks (?)

1. 04-12-2007, 09:01 PM