+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Taylor Hicks - Season 5

On tour, reigning 'Idol' champ is balancing the Fox franchise

Here's another article/interview about our main man:

SunJournal.com - On tour, reigning 'Idol' champ is balancing the Fox franchise

By Sean Piccoli , South Florida Sun-Sentinel
    Sunday, March 4, 2007 PHOTO GALLERY

At the moment, the reigning "American Idol" isn't ruler of the charts. Taylor Hicks' self-titled debut has slid down Billboard magazine's Top 200 albums list, to No. 87 after nine weeks in stores.

First efforts by a pair of Hicks' runner-ups, rock singer Chris Daughtry (No. 3, 12 weeks) and pop singer Katharine McPhee (No. 11, 2 weeks), are selling more briskly. Carrie Underwood's "Some Hearts" (No. 19, 65 weeks) continues to fly off shelves, and Underwood preceded Hicks as the people's choice on the mother of all TV sing-offs.

So has Hicks' career gone as prematurely gray as his hair? Not according to the Birmingham, Ala., native. In an interview, Hicks said that to measure him against, say, Daughtry or Underwood is a case of apples and oranges.

"You know, it's funny: People want to try and compare us, and that's hard to do because I'm not singing rock and I'm not singing country," he said. "So to compare us - I find that interesting because we're in different genres."

Hicks said "interesting" with a droll air that suggested what he meant was "inappropriate" or "misinformed."

"If I was a rocker, I could see that (comparison)," he said. "But I'm a blue-eyed soul performer."

Hicks, 30, came to "American Idol" with more experience than most: He had already sung in clubs, opened for stars and put out independent albums. He was anything but an amateur. "Idol" gave a hard-working regional performer the kind of national name recognition that a candidate for president covets, and Hicks opened his campaign for life after television on a high note: "Taylor Hicks" (Arista/19) bowed at No. 2 in December.

Whatever the size of the audience for his brand of contemporary blue-eyed soul, Hicks called the album "definitely a step in the right direction," adding, "I worked very closely with that producer to capture who I am as an artist and who I was as an "American Idol."'

Taylor Hicks was produced by Matt Serletic, known for his studio work with rock acts including matchbox twenty, Collective Soul and Carlos Santana.

The album and the artist haven't disappeared from view. Hicks is on a U.S. tour underwritten by a major label and a high-profile management company. He just served as grand marshal for one of the Mardi Gras krewes in New Orleans and played a private gala at the Superdome. (Talking by telephone from New Orleans, he called the post-Katrina signs of life there "promising.")

But considering his success on a phenomenally popular television show, and considering the general scale of "Idol" stardom, Hicks' debut feels like it's come up short. The question is what that slippage in the rankings means for his prospects.

Hicks sees himself at the beginning of the curve, not the end. "You have to start out small and work your way towards a bigger goal," he said, "and that's what I am doing right now, playing the musical theaters and clubs all across the country. It's better to start out small."

He described his obligations as twofold: He's out there representing himself and the franchise that made him famous: "You have to work both ways, as an artist and as an "American Idol,"' he said.

At the moment he is more focused on the artistry. "You really have to work towards being ... your own voice and your own singer, and that's what I've done," he said. "My thinking right now is that I've done 2½-minute TV segments for the last six or seven months, whereas prior to the "American Idol' experience I was performing four hours a night. And that's something I look forward to getting back to."

Hicks said the live show is a mix of new songs, covers and material that he wrote and recorded before "American Idol." He called touring a "rekindling of the artist and the creative process, and it's my job to go out and perform the music that I wrote."

He joked about the boost his tour budget has gotten from "Idol": "It's interesting to compare minivan gas prices to tour bus gas prices." He also said he is keeping tabs on the show as it goes about picking his successor.

"I'm enjoying being a viewer this season," he said.
    ~~~~

I can't think when I have to think. ~~moi~~

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Tonight's the night I go see Taylor!

I'll have to miss AI but I've already got people lined up who are going to call my cell and give me the judges reviews and their reviews of the performances and the numbers so I can call once the concert is over! Tonight's an important night to vote and I don't want to slack on my job!

Hopefully I can take pictures at Taylor's show and I can post them later.

Everyone enjoy AI tonight!!!

Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Oh you are so lucky bbnbama. Taylor isn't coming to Houston and unfortunately that's the only way I'd get to see him
    I can't wait to read how much you enjoyed the show! Have fun.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

Techsan by the grace of G texasgirl73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama;2264289;

I have stated before that I don't necessarily think that Taylor will be a dominant AI winner in the same vein as Carrie or Kelly but I do believe that his true fans will stick with him irregardless. I put him in the same category as Bo....they both kinda got screwed by AI because they aren't so called "marketable to the mainstream" but their fans are diehard fans who will stick with them through thick and thin!
    I agree with everything you said here because I'm one of those fans of both those guys.

In answer to your question wisegalb, I voted for Taylor non-stop all season long. I bought his CD (more than one copy) and I truly love it. And if he'd ever make it out here to my part of Texas I'd be the first in line to see him. I love reading all your posts and articles about Taylor even though I may not comment all that much. And I'll join in on the razorbacker and bbnbama love since they are awesome posters of all things Idol and Carrie...two of my favorite things! So keep up the good work!

Have fun at the concert and take LOTS of pictures if you can!!
    *Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes*

This article is wrong - or at least very misleading. Late in the article it acknowledges that Taylor's album debuted at #2, but the first part, about Katharine's album "selling more briskly" presents a totally false picture.
    Quote Originally Posted by roses4me;2265515;
    Here's another article/interview about our main man:

SunJournal.com - On tour, reigning 'Idol' champ is balancing the Fox franchise

By Sean Piccoli , South Florida Sun-Sentinel
    Sunday, March 4, 2007 PHOTO GALLERY

At the moment, the reigning "American Idol" isn't ruler of the charts. Taylor Hicks' self-titled debut has slid down Billboard magazine's Top 200 albums list, to No. 87 after nine weeks in stores.

First efforts by a pair of Hicks' runner-ups, rock singer Chris Daughtry (No. 3, 12 weeks) and pop singer Katharine McPhee (No. 11, 2 weeks), are selling more briskly. Carrie Underwood's "Some Hearts" (No. 19, 65 weeks) continues to fly off shelves, and Underwood preceded Hicks as the people's choice on the mother of all TV sing-offs. ...
    Taylor's album sold more (~299k) in its first week than Kat's has sold in its first three weeks (~199k), and in 10 weeks it's sold close 634k units. Katharine's CD may eventually catch up -- who knows? If she gets a lot of airplay she may soon catch up -- but she's not off to that good a start, and the only reason her CD is "selling more briskly" (albeit not by a lot) right now is that it's just recently debuted.

No question that Chris, like Clay back in 2003, is "upstaging" the official "Idol," and that the Season 4 winner, Carrie, is running circles around all the Idol contestants' debut albums in sales. But let's keep it real.
    Taylor's not doing all that badly, and so far Katharine isn't even keeping pace with 6th place finisher Kellie Pickler (who's sold around 435K in 16 weeks).
    Dogs have owners. Cats have staff. §;-D

Huntsville Reveiw

al.com: Everything Alabama

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

hicks review
    A sellout crowd of 2,100 fans came out to the Von Braun Center’s Concert Hall Tuesday night to see if the Birmingham singer they pulled and voted for in last year’s “American Idol” was just as fun and entertaining in person as he was on television.
    Taylor Hicks didn’t disappoint the Soul Patrol ... or anybody else in the house.
    Hicks took the stage in a sports jacket and jeans to a loud standing ovation and many in the crowd - including everything from 10-year-olds wearing “Chicks for Hicks” T-shirts to old ladies with walkers - never sat down. Hicks sang, danced, played a little guitar, blew on his harmonica and never stopped moving during his nearly 90-minute soul/blues/R&B/rock set.
    He was a little James Brown, Joe Cocker and Taylor Hicks all thrown into one - often goofy-looking-but-still-entertaining - singing, dancing machine.
    “Hey there Huntsville,” Hicks said, trying to shout over the loud ovation. “Thanks for voting for me.”
    The 30-year-old who some call Gray Charles for his salt-and-pepper hair opened with “Soul Thing” and performed other songs from his Dec. 12 debut album, including “Heaven Knows,” “The Maze” and the Marvin Gaye tune, “Wherever I Lay My Hat,” where he dropped in a few lyrics from the Commodores’ “Night Shift” and Sam Cooke’s “Chain Gang. He performed the first single from his debut, “Just to Feel That Way,” and then picked up his guitar for the first time for “Heart and Soul.”
    Hicks was good up to that point, but he threw it into another gear - and might have thrown out his hips in the process - when he launched into “Compared to What” and went into full “Idol” mode. It was the classic Taylor we all know and loved from the show, the dancing fool that irritated Simon Cowell and won over the hearts of all us dance-challenged folks.
    He continued with Rob Thomas’ “Dream Myself Awake,” Rod Stewart’s “Young Turks,” Bryan Adams’ “The Right Place” and pulled out his harmonica for “The Runaround.” Other highlights included “The Deal” and “Hold Onto Your Love.”
    He returned for an encore and sang “Long Train Running” with Wayne Mills of the Wayne Mills Band from Arab, who opened the show. Some might have wondered about getting a country band to open for a soul/blues guy, but that became apparent in the encore when Hicks invited Mills on stage.
    “I’ve known Wayne Mills since I was 17,” Hicks said. “I remember going to a bar in Tuscaloosa and he let me play my harmonica.”
    Some might have hoped for “Dance to the Music” and/or “I Want to Take You Higher” in the encore, but nobody seemed to complain when Hicks exited.
    “I thought it was great,” said Bonita Houser, who won tickets from Go: Your good Times magazine and took her daughter, Lyndsie. Did her daughter have fun? “What do you think?” Houser said, watching her daughter enjoy the show.
    Christy Lee Worsham also enjoyed the show with her husband Ben and got to meet Hicks before the show. Worsham gained national attention when People published an article last year that said Worsham was Hicks’ first crush when he lived briefly in Huntsville.
    - Chris Welch

bbnama - I can't wait to read your review......

Taylor's selling out, very good. Getting good reviews from critics and fans.

Quote Originally Posted by graycat11;2269061;
    Taylor's selling out, very good. Getting good reviews from critics and fans.
    I know before I type this it is going to come out wrong, but Taylor sold out a venue with 2100 seats in his home town. You would think they could have found him a bigger place to play & sold that out as well. Something still smells fishy about the way TPTB are treating him & his career. It is almost as though they are setting him up to flounder.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;2269104;
    I know before I type this it is going to come out wrong, but Taylor sold out a venue with 2100 seats in his home town. You would think they could have found him a bigger place to play & sold that out as well. Something still smells fishy about the way TPTB are treating him & his career. It is almost as though they are setting him up to flounder.
    I'm at work so I can't really type a whole lot but actually razor, Taylor is from Birmingham not Huntsville where I saw him last night. He'll be in Birmigham Saturday night. I'm not really sure of the seating capacity of the show in Birmingham. I actually liked the smaller venue. There were no "bad" seats (I was actually 11th row dead center of the stage ). It was alot more intimate and it had more of a club type feel and Taylor seemed really at ease and comfortable. I loved the review that wisgalb posted about the show last night because it was really accurate.

I'll post more when I get home tonight along with some pictures! If you get a chance to see Taylor, I HIGHLY recommend seeing him. You won't be disappointed!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama;2269174;
    I'm at work so I can't really type a whole lot but actually razor, Taylor is from Birmingham not Huntsville where I saw him last night. He'll be in Birmigham Saturday night. I'm not really sure of the seating capacity of the show in Birmingham. I actually liked the smaller venue. There were no "bad" seats (I was actually 11th row dead center of the stage ). It was alot more intimate and it had more of a club type feel and Taylor seemed really at ease and comfortable. I loved the review that wisgalb posted about the show last night because it was really accurate.

I'll post more when I get home tonight along with some pictures! If you get a chance to see Taylor, I HIGHLY recommend seeing him. You won't be disappointed!
    Thanks for the report BB. Sorry I got Taylors home town wrong. Actually he is going to be in Little Rock on the 20th I believe, & I would love to see him, but I'll be working. I have always liked small venues as well for the intimacy, but it just seems strange that they couldn't have found a bigger place.

+ Reply to Thread

LinkBacks (?)

1. 04-12-2007, 08:01 PM