+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 272 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829303171121 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Taylor Hicks - Season 5

Quote Originally Posted by burntbrat View Post
    No doubt Clive has had a big part in music history. And who knows, maybe it wasn't his influence that made Bo's cd so bland (Fantasia's wasn't so good, either and she thanked Clive for being so ghetto). But I have to blame somebody for the big disappointment. I just don't want to be disappointed again. So I hope Taylor is signed with somebody who will help him showcase his style, not replace it with what they think we want to hear.
    Clive's very public face is the one that's painted on the Bull's Eye, so naturally, he's the one that gets blamed. But time and time again, after he's been ousted from record companies he's started (claims of his being "too old") ,he reinvents himself and signs on such power singers as Alica Keys. That's not so bad for an old boy.

No, there's too many cooks in the remixing soup for Clive to be blamed for ruining someone's career. Besides, WHY would he shoot himself in his foot, at HIS age, by toying with someone's image when it's that very image that made them popular to begin with? Now, if Clive were 30+ years old, I could figure that he's a Boy Wonder and was not learning from the past but Clive's too old, too smart, and too successful to sign someone "on" and then hobble their talent.

Regarding if Taylor wins or loses American Idol, I don't care. This is my 4th year of watching Idol and if there's one thing that I've learned: you do NOT have to win American Idol to have a very lucrative recording career after the fact. Truthfully, I already believe that Taylor will NOT win Idol, but it doesn't bother me in the least. This show made him a house-hold name; even Simon said to him that he's received MORE positive feedback about Taylor than any other contestant. That says it, right there.

If we were to take all of Clive's headliner acts, put them on a stage to battle it out to number 1, there would still only be one official winner. But, that doesn't mean that the "losers" were losers, regarding talent. It just means that they did not get a title. It's just like the Academy Awards: how many truly famous films like Shawshank Redemption and It's a Wonderful Life were initially dismissed by the public, only to be deemed Classics, later on?

There's Short Term, Long Term and then just Classic. Whatever catagory Taylor falls into will be determined by his fan base.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post
    The highlighted sentence is the most disturbing thing about a Taylor win. We have seen multiple examples of Clive Davis' heavy handed production & neutering of these folks. If Taylor were to win I would hope Clive Davis stays way way out of the picture. Afterall, you only need to look at last year's runner up album & see the mistakes made with Bo.
    My only exposure to a Clive AI album is Ruben's first two with him. They are good. I know that Clive accommodated Ruben's interest in a hip-hop flavor on the first album while keeping it kinda pop. The CD was a double platinum seller, though I think neither pop nor hip-hop purists were completely satisfied with it.

I am a big fan of Fantasia and Bo, but I never heard their CDs. Although, reports are that Fantasia's is good. I suspect Bo's CD, if not good, suffered from the same tension over Ruben's album--Bo probably wanted harder rock (as opposed to Ruben's hip-hop) while Clive wanted more pop.

My instincts tell me that Taylor would have the best outcome of any Idol with an album with Clive for two reasons: Taylor's unique style is still well within the realm of pop and Taylor has had experience making a varied pop CD on his own. Time will tell!

P.S. Whether or not Taylor wins the title, I am certain Clive is planning to record him. Nobody has recorded blue-eyed soul in years, and it must be an irresistible opportunity for Clive.
    Last edited by pillbeam; 02-24-2006 at 02:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam View Post
    P.S. Whether or not Taylor wins the title, I am certain Clive is planning to record him. Nobody has recorded blue-eyed soul in years, and it must be an irresistible opportunity for Clive.
    What an incredible way to describe Taylor, pillbeam!
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Thank you. Tho, technically, he may have brown eyes. But you all know what I mean The term was first used about 40 years ago for the Righteous Brothers, I believe, and has had its definition broadened since then.

His rendition of Levon was simply amazing. I honestly think that it was better than original! It's just so great to watch how he enjoys on the stage, and how he is into the music. There's no doubt that this guy absolutely loves what he's doing. And you can both here that as well as feel that when he's performing. I had high hopes on him and he didn't let me down.

There are certain people who have "it", and Taylor Hicks is that person this season. I was worried he might not fare well in the public voting but I am happily wrong. Great voice, great personality - quirky but not so different as to ailianate (sp) . I actually fear what AI will do to him in order to `clean him up' he just woulodn't look right all polished and pop `idoly' looking ...but I'm ahead of myself. Just a wonderful talent who delivers...

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by nemo78 View Post
    His rendition of Levon was simply amazing. I honestly think that it was better than original!
    I wouldn't go quite THAT far. "Levon" is one of Elton John's classics, and while Taylor is my favorite amongst the guys, his rendition was a little sloppy. He "worked it out", so to speak, but the changes in tempo didn't seem to suit his style. Once he hit the chorus, it was a lot better performance, IMO.

Still, he's very talented. I'm excited to watch him...

Resident Anime Robot Griffin11287's Avatar
    Taylor is my #2 favorite guy behind Chris, this guy rocks. LOVE him. His exchange with Ryan after his performance last week had me rolling. His positivity is so INFECTIOUS. I love it.
    I heart comedy. It's one of the things that makes the world go round.
    Comedy Quote of the Moment:
    "I got pulled over by the cops for being drunk, and I was like 'I'm sorry officer, it's a misunderstanding, I'm not drunk, I have Cerebral Palsy!' and they're like 'Damn, that's a pretty big word for a drunk ass!' I was in there for 7 days, they see me they're like, 'Damn buddy, what'd you drink?!"-Josh Blue (ROCK ON BROTHER!)

Nimmy is my American Idol Enya Windo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lambikins View Post
    For all of the alledged mishandlings of careers by Clive, THESE are some of the famous people he's helped launch their careers:

" Janis Joplin and Big Brother & the Holding Company, and Columbia went on to sign Electric Flag, Santana, Bruce Springsteen, Chicago, Billy Joel, Blood, Sweat & Tears, and Pink Floyd. The company, which had previously avoided rock music, doubled its market share in three years. In 1972, Davis also signed the group Earth, Wind & Fire to CBS Records.

In 1974, he founded Arista Records, naming it after his secondary school honor society. This label has one of the most diverse lineups in the record industry. It has been home to Barry Manilow, Dionne Warwick, Whitney Houston, Monica, Exposť, Angie Aparo,Sarah McLachlan, Annie Lennox, Kenny G, Puffy Combs, Aretha Franklin, Toni Braxton, Air Supply, Ace of Base, The Alpha Band, The Grateful Dead, TLC, Willie Nile, and Patti Smith, among others. In the 1970s, Arista also had an extensive jazz line, most notably its Freedom imprint, concentrating on contemporary, sometimes avant-garde, musicians and widely praised reissues from the legendary Savoy label.

In building his new company,J Records, some of his first signings were recording artists Luther Vandross and Alicia Keys. That same year, Davis was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in the non-performers branch."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clive_Davis
    Maybe as time goes by, any artist is going to suffer from "The Grass is Greener" syndrome and want to move on. But, with producers like Clive Davis....damn....that's a pretty hefty help out of the Starting Gate into a recording career!
    Yes but those artists were not connected to American Idol and 19 Entertainment. Maybe it is not Clive himself who is screwing up the debut albums of Idol contestants but Simon Fuller. (Didn't Fuller have something to do with some prefab pop girl group?) In spite of Clive's long track record I still get worried about what kind of album he would produce for someone like Taylor.

Quote Originally Posted by jstylzz View Post
    I wouldn't go quite THAT far. "Levon" is one of Elton John's classics, and while Taylor is my favorite amongst the guys, his rendition was a little sloppy. He "worked it out", so to speak, but the changes in tempo didn't seem to suit his style. Once he hit the chorus, it was a lot better performance, IMO.

Still, he's very talented. I'm excited to watch him...
    I agree, Levon wasn't Taylor's best work. But the "change in tempo" issue has a lot to do with the AI music arrangers butchering the song by cutting out large chunks of lyrics and the smooth transitions that Elton wrote into it. Taylor is brilliant with changes in tempo, but not when the song's tempo has been screwed up. It's the same problem for the other singers. In addition, a lot of these songs don't lend themselves to being chopped up musically. They need longer lyrical build-ups to give impact to the chorus refrain--that was definitely true for Levon.

+ Reply to Thread

LinkBacks (?)

1. 04-12-2007, 09:01 PM