+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Taylor Hicks - Season 5

FORT Fan
    I got my free (shipping only) cd in yesterday's mail but haven't had a chance to listen to it yet. Glad for the report that it's good. It came very quickly - I think I ordered it last Wednesday and it arrived yesterdday (thursday).

FORT Fanatic
    sorry but thats just crap. $5.99 total. for a ***FREE CD*** with shipping. for only 3 songs.

ive shipped a cd for less than $1.50 (including cost of buying cd box/case/envelope). so that leaves 4.49 of what. cd, case, labor of putting songs on it, quality, any sort of payment fees to taylor, producers, etc.

i like taylor, but that site should re-word it different. advertising for a FREE CD, i think not. yeah yeah, they have that disclaimer stuff somehere on the page. but on the main page they do not mention any shipping cost etc until you click on the link. and if one wasnt paying attention and didnt see the disclaimer about paying for shipping, one would get a shock to see you have to pay total 5.99 to get the FREE cd.

i guess i wouldnt have complained and rant here if the price was at 1.99 or even 2.99, heck 3.50 or maybe in 4. but 5.99, come on.

but glad you guys are happy about it. and dont feel ripped off cause you guys love the songs. but hope you guys understand why im ranting about it.
    not my frickin fault. fine, my fault, i always get blamed anyways.

That's still minus the whole cost of actually buying the CD itself. Imagine paying for the CD and shipping.
    2003-2008.

Nimmy is my American Idol Enya Windo's Avatar
    I think when you order Under The Radar you pay something like $15 for the CD (7 songs) and about $3 for shipping. If you order 2, you save a buck or so on shipping. That seems a lot more reasonable than $6 for shipping one CD.

I have a theory though. Maybe the Idol powers that be won't allow Taylor's "In Your Time" to be re-released now that Taylor is under contract to them. By "giving away" the CD they can legally distribute it (not sell it). Having people hear Taylor's originals is good PR for him.
    Charging $6 "for s and h" brings in enough money to make it worth their trouble.

Otherwise, why not just say the CD costs $5 or $6 and tack on a couple bucks for shipping?
    Last edited by Enya Windo; 07-15-2006 at 07:21 PM.

FORT Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by Enya Windo View Post
    Otherwise, why not just say the CD costs $5 or $6 and tack on a couple bucks for shipping?
    i would rather have what you said than them advertise a FREE cd and add the whopping $6 as s/h. its a shocker for a 3 song cd.

it should have been advertised like what you said. about $3.00 for the cd alone (a $1 per song which is what most download sites sell singles) and $2.99 for shipping (which are normal cause most sites that sell cds charge about that much for 1 cd and little more for double cd with discounts if buying additional cds). if it was worded that way, then it wouldn't be so bad. or the complete opposite...cd cost so much with FREE shipping.

sorry im nitpicking but oh well. it was a shocker for me when i read earlier posts about a FREE cd of some taylor songs. i thought it would cost about $2-3 dollars for shipping but 2x...hell no. not even for taylor. or any other artists. even if the 3 songs are good.

oh, just wondering, are those songs from an independent label or whatever. i think taylor wrote those songs right. if so, AI/rca or whoever could just buy the rights or pay fees to include his old recordings to ensure sales. they must have heard that his old albums have been selling like crazy. they just can pay some royalty fees to others.

but again, AI are selfish and want all the money to themselves.
    not my frickin fault. fine, my fault, i always get blamed anyways.

19AEIOU pay for something? It will be interesting to see what happens with any previous songs of Taylor's. All depends on who has rights to what.

As for that 3-song CD. They aren't allowed to charge for it, so, they call it free and make the $ off shipping. Happens all of the time. Now, it must be very popular, because when I purchased it, I believe that shipping was $4.50. I felt it was worth it for some extra versions of Taylor's original stuff. Of course, I wish he got part of the $, but, at least it gives me another chance to let new people hear his non-AI talent.
    Sing & dance the night away!

$5.99 is expensive for shipping but when we download songs from the internet it costs $1.99 so for 3 songs I guess that's reasonable.

If they can't sell Taylor's cd's, this is good for people to get to know his music.

FORT Fan

CD Update

Listened to the cd and you can certainly tell that it's early Taylor. Good, but missing some production qualities.

Yesterday I got the cd again. I wonder if they'll send me a third next week? Pretty soon I'll be making a profit.

Quote Originally Posted by graycat11 View Post
    $5.99 is expensive for shipping but when we download songs from the internet it costs $1.99 so for 3 songs I guess that's reasonable.

If they can't sell Taylor's cd's, this is good for people to get to know his music.
    I agree, gc. I'm sure Taylor would be objecting if he didn't approve of his earlier songs getting out there for people to hear.

BTW, paid downloads of songs cost anywhere from 79 to 99 apiece (rhapsody, wal-mart, iTunes) and now iTunes is selling the 2-song album singles for $1.49. So $2 apiece for a song is higher than paid downloads. But it's not unusual for an 8-song CD to sell for $16 or a 10-song CD to sell for $15 + S&H.
    Dogs have owners. Cats have staff. ;-D

Taylor appeared on GMA yesterday morning. Performed DIMYP & TI2TS, also, one of his original songs, "Hell Of A Day". Soul Patrol was out in force! You can see photos at wireimage and filmmagic sites. ABC's site has a video of the DIMYP performance.
    Sing & dance the night away!

+ Reply to Thread

LinkBacks (?)

1. 04-12-2007, 08:01 PM