+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Taylor Hicks - Season 5

Know what, y'all? I'm really glad Taylor wasn't allowed to play his harmonica and guitar on AI only because being on AI forced him to hone in on his vocals,his vocal skills. He said himself on Idol Extra that playing the guitar and harp was a crutch when he was performing. Guess he wasn't all that confident in his singing ability but now he knows his voice will, can carry him. Practice makes nearly perfect.

I agree, Buffynut. Some of my favorite male singers don't have the best "vocal instruments" in the world but they sure are great performers or songwriters and they are also great to listen to on radio or CD.

Taylor was #1 on the Billboard Singles Sales chart again this week but Katharine beat him on the Hot 100 chart. Her Over The Rainbow cover got counted as the A side and ranked #12, with My Destiny at #60 on the Hot 100. Taylor's DIMYP was #14 and his TI2tS didn't make the Hot 100.

But there seems to be a big push to get Taylor's "underground" recording of "The Fall" played on radio stations both in the south and around the country. It isn't on UTR or any available Taylor album but you can get a FREE copy of it if you go to the address given in this article:

http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/in...&news_id=50718

New underground single emerges from ‘American Idol’ winner
    By Ron Wynn, rwynn@nashvillecitypaper.com
    June 30, 2006
    “Do I Make You Proud” sits atop this week’s Billboard singles chart. Yet many of his fans, plus some critics, feel this song doesn’t accurately or completely spotlight Hicks’ attributes as a performer like the cut “The Fall.”

A more soulful, less slick and technology reliant work that Hicks also wrote, it’s one of three tunes produced by Will Smith that were recorded locally in 2001 at the Sound Emporium Studio. These songs were engineered by Jim DeBlanc and featured several top session players. Now “The Fall” is emerging as a regional sensation, and also attracting favorable national attention.
    [QUOTE]
    “When we did the song it was a bit more lo-fi than some cuts I’d do for groups aiming at a more explosive, Linkin Park type of sound,” Smith said. “I didn’t want it to be a country single, but more of a pop-rock thing. But it also has some really nice lines in there, good singing and I think it really does show off his voice well.”

Now such national publications as People are also noticing the single, while Smith credits the power of the Internet and the passion of Hicks’ most ardent supporters (known as the Soul Patrol) with creating enormous demand for “The Fall.”

Interesting article about Taylor allegedly not liking his single. The article claims Taylor would prefer "After the Fall" for his single.They quote Taylor's long-time producer in Nashville.

http://www.nationalledger.com/artman...27266673.shtml

Here is the list of songs I found that Taylor performed last night during the tour:

Taylor: “Jailhouse Rock” by Elvis (enters through crowd)
    Taylor: “Hollywood Nights” by Bob Seger (he plays electric guitar)
    Taylor: “Sweet Soul Music” by Wilson Pickett
    Taylor: “What’s Going on” by Marvin Gaye
    Taylor: “Living For the City” by Stevie Wonder (harmonica)
    Taylor: “Don’t Let Me Down” by the Beatles (plays a different guitar)
    Taylor: “Do I Make You Proud”
    Taylor: “Takin’ It To The Streets” by Michael McDonald (harmonica)

Quote Originally Posted by wisgalb View Post
    Here is the list of songs I found that Taylor performed last night during the tour:

Taylor: “Jailhouse Rock” by Elvis (enters through crowd)
    Taylor: “Hollywood Nights” by Bob Seger (he plays electric guitar)
    Taylor: “Sweet Soul Music” by Wilson Pickett
    Taylor: “What’s Going on” by Marvin Gaye
    Taylor: “Living For the City” by Stevie Wonder (harmonica)
    Taylor: “Don’t Let Me Down” by the Beatles (plays a different guitar)
    Taylor: “Do I Make You Proud”
    Taylor: “Takin’ It To The Streets” by Michael McDonald (harmonica)
    Wow...I really wish I could see him perform live. I watched video of the Stadium of Fire performances (the one in Provo, Utah) and he was wonderful (though a little out of breath on DIMYP). He did such an awesome job on "The Deal." There was one segment where he played guitar AND harmonica at the same time! He is so talented...

pillbeam, I read that, too, in another interview somewhere. I don't blame Taylor for not liking the song.

Wouldn't it be great if his original record company reissued Taylor's Under the Radar album? I bet if it was available widely enough, it'd be a biggie!

I'm going to order it soon!

Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam View Post
    Interesting article about Taylor allegedly not liking his single. The article claims Taylor would prefer "After the Fall" for his single.They quote Taylor's long-time producer in Nashville.
    Is there a link where we can listen to Taylor's "After the Fall"?

Quote Originally Posted by graycat11 View Post
    Is there a link where we can listen to Taylor's "After the Fall"?
    You can do better than that. In Sandy's post of that article about Taylor "not liking his single," there is a website given that is letting you get mp3s of the song free, with Taylor's approval.
    I think he really wants people to hear one of his own best songs rather than have so many people's first impression of him as a musician be based on an AI single consisting of a karaoke-like cover and a middle-of-the-road songwriter-stable-penned pop ballad.

Here's the post: Taylor Hicks - Season 5
    Dogs have owners. Cats have staff. ;-D

You know what, I remember reading on another website that the Tyler Music Group was a scammer site. They were trying to sell something of Taylor's in the past and people were saying it was a scam.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharrhys View Post
    You know what, I remember reading on another website that the Tyler Music Group was a scammer site. They were trying to sell something of Taylor's in the past and people were saying it was a scam.
    You know what? I have another website that is supposed to be the only one where you can buy Taylor's first CD. Here is the link:

http://www.lasersedgecd.com/hicks_taylor.html

I believe I got this info from a poster here about 5 or 6 pages ago, but I'm not certain.

Good luck all!

+ Reply to Thread

LinkBacks (?)

1. 04-12-2007, 09:01 PM