+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Taylor Hicks - Season 5

Hello! I haven't been around for a bit because I was camped out at a Taylor site. It was great reading his personal posts to his fans, albeit short and sweet.

Anyway, I am happy to report his Ford commercial is playing in Hawaii. I see it every night during the news. I read a Google Alert that I deleted (sorry) that talked about the impact the song "Possibilities" has been having. It is to the extent where some (or somebody?) recommended it be made into a full-length recording.

Can all of you lucky AI concert ticketholders post a review and details after you go? Alas, as you know, they are not coming to Hawaii...I have no choice but to wait to hear from you friendly folks. (At least I get to see Michael Buble - YIPPEE!)

Techsan by the grace of G texasgirl73's Avatar
    I won't get to see Taylor (and the other Idols) until September 8th, one of the Grand Prarie, TX shows. I just hope everyone stays healthy until then!
    *Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes*

Stadium of Fire Delights Crowds

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=337374

American Idol, Taylor Hicks performed a new song and was certainly the crowd favorite tonight. LeeAnn Womack headlined the show, singing a number of her hits.

This is what I found out from someone on a different board:

Taylor has only been on very briefly so far. He came out and played harmonica in an opening sequence with the dancers. No singing yet. He’s supposed to sing with Lee Ann – duet. Tina doesn’t know if that’s the surprise millerrocks talked about.

He’s wearing a charcoal gray suit with a white shirt. He looked really good – thinner in person.

He was in the middle of the field with dancers when he played the harmonica. The crowd went crazy, standing up and trying to find out where he was. You could see him on the jumbo-tron but couldn’t see him on the stage. Then they figured out he was on the field. He’s gotten a HUGE crowd reaction. Tina thinks more than half the audience is there for him.

Tina said the harmonica bit was really good – you could hear it really well throughout the whole stadium.

Besides that opening thing, he also came out when they did a fly over with jets. He came out and was watching that and liked it. He also came out and watched some fireworks. He was off to the side during these times.

Tina will call again later after he’s been on for his set.

Then this:

He sang the Deal with just himself accompanying on guitar and harp.

Also TI2TS & DIMYP (dedicated to the troops, of course)

Here is another article:

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,640191708,00.html

XM Channel 25 is playing his single.

Another Taylor Appearance

Here what Dave Schools (bassist for Widespread Panic) has to say about jamming with Taylor the other night:

Click here for the full story:

http://blog.myspace.com/widespreadpanic

Here is the Taylor part:

At set break it came our attention that our newest American Idol, Taylor Hicks was in attendance. Not really being much of an Idol fan (I like the early auditions with all the crazy people telling Simon that they are far more talented than he could know), I only knew a few things about Taylor: that he was a Panic fan from Alabama and that he was actually talented and soulful enough to possibly pull off this star-maker machine opportunity.

We didnt actually plan to have him onstage, but during the drum solos, Jojo realized that he had a harmonica with him so we switched the encore around and he came out and wailed on Fishwater with us. And wail he did. Being a Panic fan from way back it probably wasnt the first time he had played this one. I was frankly happily shocked and surprised. Taylor listened, interacted, and played what the song called for. These are the three most important things in this brand of music (not to mention that he navigated the stormy funky waters like a pro with that harp). You could tell that the audience was prepared to despise him on sheer principal alone (as some of you are as well I am sure) but once he started to play with the band in the context of the tune he really won them over. I would beg you to check out his performance with us...you may be surprised! Taylor could be just what the world of Pop music needs: someone to put a little real soul back into it. One thing is for sure: my little sister and her friends thought Taylor was the greatest thing since sliced bread!

Thanks for all the great posts about Taylor's performances. I have a question, and forgive my ignorance, what is the song "The Deal?" Did I miss something or am I just having a serious senior moment? LMAO

On another note (no pun intended) I wonder if Simon is regretting his tacky comments about Taylor. Taylor is going to make some serious bucks for E19. His popularity seems to be growing stronger after each performance. Taylor is truly an American Idol. Carrie, too, as I'm a big fan of hers also! Both singers represent what's good about America. Corny, yes, but heartfelt. You know what I mean?
    Last edited by roses4me; 07-03-2006 at 04:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by roses4me View Post
    Thanks for all the great posts about Taylor's performances. I have a question, and forgive my ignorance, what is the song "The Deal?" Did I miss something or am I just having a serious senior moment? LMAO

On another note (no pun intended) I wonder if Simon is regretting his tacky comments about Taylor. Taylor is going to make some serious bucks for E19. His popularity seems to be growing stronger after each performance. Taylor is truly an American Idol. Carrie, too, as I'm a big fan of hers also! Both singers represent what's good about America. Corny, yes, but heartfelt. You know what I mean?
    "The Deal" is one of Taylor's original songs from his CD "Under The Radar"

Your can order this CD here:

http://www.lasersedgecd.com/hicks_taylor.html

I agree with you roses4me since I am also a big fan of Carrie and Taylor. I will finally see Carrie for the first time later this month at Country Thunder and will report back on her show.

Taylor was the co-headliner for the Stadium of Fire in Provo Utah. It is a local 4th celebration that was held on the 1st. I wasn't able to go, but I hear it was teriffic. The only thing that sucks is AI is considering that our tour stop so we don't get to see the rest of them.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

I typed this out in response to a post on Kat's thread before realizing, "Ooops, this is the runner up's thread!" (Someone was saying that she didn't understand why America chose Taylor, and that she's more anti-Taylor than pro-Kat, or something along those lines). I just had to jump in and have my $0.02.

Why America Loves Taylor, Part XXIIVVVV*

The thing I like about Taylor is his raw quality and how he somehow harkens back to the "old days" of performers -- like dressing his "Sunday best" when he's on stage, old-school dancing, and just putting it all out there without any reservations, throwing caution to the wind -- unlike the others who are relatively, definitely more careful with their actions.

On top of that, his voice is polished and so pleasant to listen to with this earnest, endearing factor coupled with his rough-and-tumble look. That, to me, is why America chose Taylor. "Freak show?" I'd say 100% not.

And perhaps yes, if you "only hear him singing without watching his act, there isn't anything special about his voice", but it's the whole package that's delivered to us on TV. Taylor up there, on stage, with his voice and other elements of him as a performer.

Go Taylor! Soul Patrol, Soul Patrol! (Couldn't resist, sorry.)

* I don't actually know what Roman numeral that would be. Heh. Sorry if it doesn't even make sense or follow the numerical rules of Roman numbering.
    2003-2008.

FORT Newbie
    Great response Tickety. I also saw that post on Kat's thread. I'd say Taylor's pure love of perfroming is what I love about him. And man, if he had been allowed to use his harp during any of those AI performances, he would have really blown everyone away! I am puzzled when people say his voice is weak or not that good. I guess because I love his style, I don't notice that, but I also think about some of the performers who have been around for decades and they too have their personal style, maybe not the best voices. Sure there's Andrea Botecelli, but there's also Rod Stewart, Mick Jagger, Bruce Springsteen, Huey Lewis, Ray LaMontagne,and the list goes on. I can'twait to see the AI tour!

+ Reply to Thread

LinkBacks (?)

1. 04-12-2007, 08:01 PM