+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Taylor Hicks - Season 5

You can see "cover boy" Taylor on the June 14 issue of People Mag. by clicking here: Hottest Bachelors 2006

Plus, it seems the 150K projection does not include digital downloads, which should add another 30-40K. If this materializes, Taylor would rank 4th in Idol contestants' first week singles sales:

Clay - 393,000
    Ruben - 286,000
    Kelly - 236,000
    Taylor - projected 180,000+
    Carrie - 170,000
    Fantasia - 142,000
    Bo - 106,000
    Diana - 65,000
    Justin - N/A

(DK about Kim Locke and Josh Gracin, but I don't think they beat Diana in first week sales, did they?)

(Kelly, Ruben, and Clay did not have the benefit of paid digital downloads being counted for SoundScan for their first singles, did they? Not sure Fantasia and Diana did either, but I think they did, as long as you bought both/all 'sides' of the single together.
    The bad news for artists in the "iTunes" era of SoundScan is that you can now pay to download individual songs off the American Idol Compilations albums -- something you could not do in 2003 and 2004. That may have increased sales of the compilation albums but if you bought those albums for Kelly's, Clay's, or Ruben's songs, the artist didn't get the credit at SoundScan.

It's really hard to compare the Billboard data from one year to another when the "rules" and accounting methods keep changing.)
    Last edited by Grisabella; 06-14-2006 at 06:19 PM.
    Dogs have owners. Cats have staff. ;-D

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    Wow - he sure looks like George Clooney in those photos.

Quote Originally Posted by marybethp View Post
    Wow - he sure looks like George Clooney in those photos.
    Was there more than the first picture of Taylor? I didn't want to sort through them all when I saw #2 was Nick Lachey. That guy gets on my nerves.

That is a great picture of Taylor. He's hunkalicious!

Ace is there too, and Ryan Seacrest.

(Also Donald Faison (Scrubs), Jake Gyllenhall, Kenny Chesney, Nick Lachey, Matthew McConaughey, a cute golfer guy, the guy from "The Closer," and I forget the others.)

Link to Taylor's song, "Possibilities" for the Ford commercials:

http://media.ford.com/newsroom/relea...?release=23630

Very catchy tune!

The Today Show featured the People Issue and showed Taylor's picture on the cover - the biggest picture!

http://video.msn.com/v/us/msnbc.htm?...0Entertainment

As of today (changes quickly), Taylor is #5 on the pop charts and #11 on overall songs on ITunes. TI2TS is #13 on pop (from CD single) and #72 (from AI Encores) and #40 on overall top 100.

It's so great to see him doing well. There are so many articles out there right now that I can't keep up!

I saw the other picture of Taylor when I clicked on the Main Page link after the last bachelor picture. What a cutie.

Taylor's Single CD

Got the CD today and it's AWESOME! Gosh, this guy is good! I can't wait for his CD this FALL!!!

WOOOOOO!!!

He was great on ET! tonight, filming the Ford commercial and talking about it and about being "single and looking!"

He looked great and sounded great too!

FORT Newbie
    Plus, it seems the 150K projection does not include digital downloads, which should add another 30-40K. If this materializes, Taylor would rank 4th in Idol contestants' first week singles sales:

Clay - 393,000
    Ruben - 286,000
    Kelly - 236,000
    Taylor - projected 180,000+
    Carrie - 170,000
    Fantasia - 142,000
    Bo - 106,000
    Diana - 65,000
    Justin - N/A
    Grisabella, do you know if just the single sales(individually are added in). DIMYP is at #7 on the overall chart and TIITS is #33. I think people are DL the singles to support his sales or some DL both songs instead of buying the single. SOmebody said today that these sales wont be counted in the 150k unless you DL the album single for 1.98. I know his album single isn't even anywhere in the top 100. I don't think anyone is aware of it. There's no way to know about it unless you were to look for it. Someone on another board found it by clicking on the main page on his CD cover but noone is DL it. Last year Carries album single was #1 on the albums. Maybe that's where her DL totals came from. I'm afraid Taylor won't have any DL totals to carry over to his debut sale.

As I understand it, Billboard now does a Digital Singles Chart that reflects paid downloads of individual songs. They award a digital Gold award for 100k paid downloads and Platinum for 200k.
    (This is a fairly new Billboard chart.)
    For paid dowloads to count the same as a purchase of a "standard" (CD) single, you have to buy both (or in some cases all 3) 'sides' of the CD single -- in this case, both DIMYP? and TIttS. (You might even have to purchase the songs as an "album" on iTunes (or Wal-Mart.com, etc.). I'm not sure about that.)
    What I don't know is whether a single purchase can count for both the BB Singles Sales chart -- the one that combines CD purchases and both-sides online purchases -- and the BB Digital Downloads chart and RIAA Digital awards.

I'm guessing no. But I really don't know.

I will say this. Now that RIAA is awarding Gold and Platinum for digital singles, it's a helluva lot easier to rack up a bunch of Gold and Platinum and Multiplatinum awards for your singles than it was 2 or 3 years ago. And I'll bet most people don't realize the difference.

E.g., if you read that Clay's first single was certified Platinum* and he also has a Gold** certification for "Invisible" and that Kelly's first single was certified Gold* but she has several Platinum** singles too, would you think to ask "Are we talking 'standard' or 'digital' singles?" There's a huge difference, but does the average listener know that?

*standard
    **digital

+ Reply to Thread

LinkBacks (?)

1. 04-12-2007, 08:01 PM