+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Taylor Hicks - Season 5

Quote Originally Posted by Sharrhys View Post
    Oh, I reread what I wrote about Taylor's range and I have to take back something. I said he has "amazing range" and I really should have said an "amazing voice." While I have heard him sing a whole note over two octaves in full voice (B2 - C4) which is very, very good, it isn't amazing in the world of singing, especially when it comes to classical music. (Sorry, just keeping it real - and I haven't had the time to determine how low he can go in full voice and how much of a falsetto range he has on top of this.) Anyway, what he does with his voice is what amazes me every time I listen to him. My main point was that he actually used more range than Kat in the finale song.
    Good distinction, Sharrhys.
    Have you checked how high Taylor went on the high notes on "In The Ghetto" and "Something" or other songs where he did a high "Whoo hoo?" (I know it's not an AI performance, but he goes into a high falsetto on "Georgia" - which you can find via his fan sites.)

Sometimes on Idol it seems like viewers judge contestants' "range" on the basis of individual songs. If you do a Whitney-Mariah show-off arrangement people are impressed. If you two different 1 1/2-octave songs in widely different keys (using a 2 1/2-octave range between them), people say you have "no range."
    Dogs have owners. Cats have staff. ;-D

I hope I don't get into trouble with this, but here's a link where to buy Taylor's CD, Under the Radar. A review of his CD, which really isn't his CD at Amazon said that the only place to buy it was Lasers Edge. However there's quite a few websites with this name. After entering "Taylor Hicks cd" in yahoo search, I found the correct Lasers Edge. The album includes 7 songs. I am going to order it soon.

http://www.lasersedgecd.com/hicks_taylor.html

Enjoy!

Taylor's cd UTR finally arrived, it's not bad, like 4 songs out of the 7. Some of the songs sound like Southern country songs, bluesy, pretty good.

Did he write all of the songs himself?

I think he did write all the songs on UTR but I'm not sure. I know he wrote several. Doesn't it list the songwriter credits on the CD or in the liner notes?
    (I just ordered mine so I won't get them for at least a couple more weeks.)
    Dogs have owners. Cats have staff. ;-D

Quote Originally Posted by Grisabella View Post
    I think he did write all the songs on UTR but I'm not sure. I know he wrote several. Doesn't it list the songwriter credits on the CD or in the liner notes?
    (I just ordered mine so I won't get them for at least a couple more weeks.)
    It just says "All songs copyright Taylor Hicks". No liner notes, nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by graycat11 View Post
    It just says "All songs copyright Taylor Hicks". No liner notes, nothing.
    The copyright holder is usually the one who created the work (unless you're Michael Jackson buying the copyrights of the cash-strapped Beatles).

Also I've read on Taylor's fan sites that he did write "Hell Of A Day," "Heart And Soul" (not the old standard), "Soul Thing," etc.

I wonder if he has more songs he's written that he just hasn't put on a CD yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy in SD View Post
    The copyright holder is usually the one who created the work (unless you're Michael Jackson buying the copyrights of the cash-strapped Beatles).

Also I've read on Taylor's fan sites that he did write "Hell Of A Day," "Heart And Soul" (not the old standard), "Soul Thing," etc.

I wonder if he has more songs he's written that he just hasn't put on a CD yet.
    I'm sure he has, probably too expensive to record them.

DIMYP number 17 and rising, based on airplay alone!

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/chart...1-20&g=Singles

I read about how Chris Daughtry's single on AI Encores is doing better than Taylor's TI2TS on Billboard based on internet downloads. Some are questioning the popularity between the two - I say how is that fair? What people are forgetting is that this is Chris' only song and is only available by itself digitally. TI2TS is on the DIMYP CD single that hasn't been released yet. Why purchase the internet download when fans are going to get it with DIMYP? Wait until the single is released...then I'm sure we will see flying billboard numbers.

Another link about a possible endorsement:

http://www.nationalledger.com/artman...27266272.shtml
    Last edited by Sharrhys; 06-08-2006 at 04:42 PM.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060608/dcth061.html?.v=49

American Red Cross to Benefit From Sale of New American Idol Taylor Hicks' Single 'Do I Make You Proud'
    Thursday June 8, 2:32 pm ET

WASHINGTON, June 8 /PRNewswire/ -- As the "soul" survivor of "American Idol's" fifth season, the passionate Alabama native, Taylor Hicks, has signed a record deal with 19 Recordings Limited/Arista Records with a portion of the proceeds from the sales of his single, "Do I Make You Proud," benefiting the American Red Cross. For every CD sold, $0.25 will go to the American Red Cross, as well as $0.15 for every digital download sold, and $0.20 for every ringtone and ringback.

The single to be released on June 13, marks the fourth "American Idol" single to provide financial support to the mission of the Red Cross and the people it serves. Sales of the past three recordings generated more than a quarter million dollars in donations.

"It has been a privilege these past three years to support the American Red Cross in their fundraising efforts and on behalf of the RCA Music Group and 19 Entertainment we are proud of our association with them," said Charles Goldstuck, BMG U.S. President & COO. "With an active hurricane season predicted, what better time to continue support of their enormous efforts and everything they stand for."

"Great traditions are meant to be extended. It's been a wonderful experience working with the American Red Cross over the years and 19 Entertainment is proud to continue helping those who need their services the most," stated 19 Entertainment's Simon Fuller.

"You do make us proud, Taylor, and we are grateful for the generosity of the RCA Music Group and 19 Entertainment," said Jack McGuire, President and CEO of the American Red Cross. "With the help of these supporters we will be more prepared to help people prepare for and respond to emergencies."
    Sing & dance the night away!

Nimmy is my American Idol Enya Windo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharrhys View Post
    DIMYP number 17 and rising, based on airplay alone!

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/chart...1-20&g=Singles

I read about how Chris Daughtry's single on AI Encores is doing better than Taylor's TI2TS on Billboard based on internet downloads. Some are questioning the popularity between the two - I say how is that fair? What people are forgetting is that this is Chris' only song and is only available by itself digitally. TI2TS is on the DIMYP CD single that hasn't been released yet. Why purchase the internet download when fans are going to get it with DIMYP? Wait until the single is released...then I'm sure we will see flying billboard numbers.
    Good points.
    It could also mean people like one song better than another, not necessarily the singer.

Another link about a possible endorsement:

http://www.nationalledger.com/artman...27266272.shtml
    Thanks for the info.

I hate the National Ledger because they are always spreading smears and gossip about stars, even when they put on a facade of defending them. They're helping spread them about Taylor too. But even the tabloids occasionally have some useful info to share.

+ Reply to Thread

LinkBacks (?)

1. 04-12-2007, 08:01 PM