+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Taylor Hicks - Season 5

FORT Fogey
    I think they should've put the sam cooke song he sang "You send me" or "Dancing in the dark" because those were the best performances of his the whole competition and takin it to the streets like someone said is already on the compilation album.

FORT Fogey
    The reason they are sticking Kat with Taylor constantly is to give some sort of legitimacy to the competition. They have to have someone that even remotely looks and sounds like the title implies, otherwise it just comes off as a SNL sketch.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharoah View Post
    The reason they are sticking Kat with Taylor constantly is to give some sort of legitimacy to the competition. They have to have someone that even remotely looks and sounds like the title implies, otherwise it just comes off as a SNL sketch.
    So are you intimating that an American Idol is supposed to be about looks? That is so shallow - America has proven time and time again that talent and personality are more important - and they did again this year. Then again, many women find Taylor attractive and a true soul man. And people feel Taylor is truly authentic - there isn't anything fake about him. What you see is what you get and that is far more appealing than beauty that fades over time.

I don't know why I waste my time defending Taylor when he already has the crown. I guess it's a form of stress relief for me .

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Pharoah View Post
    We all know Katharine's ridin' on Taylor's coat tails - not the other way round!! And she's gunna need all the help she can get - cos with her inability to 'feel' the music on most performances; her inconsistency, and up against Alicia Keyes, Kelly Clarkson and the like, she ain't going nowhere but down. Unless she chooses the Hollywood stage, in which case she'll have a fine career - though not an excellent one. She's as beautiful as they came for sure, her pipes are technically stunning - when they're on, but mostly she just doesn't have the smarts. Yep, harsh I know, but having watched her the whole season, nice girl as I'm sure she is, she doesn't have a lot of depth to pull from - something Kelly Clarkson did have and was her redeeming quality after the Idol glow. But, if she learns something from Bocelli ... maybe.

Great to see Taylor's single at no.2 on Amazon - even with the poor song selection. Personally, I would've liked to see Trouble as the B-side, or even a recorded version of a change is gonna come ... oh well, such is the AI machine. Speaking of which, did you hear Taylor has described his time with AI as 'dancing with the devil'!!! LOL! Great interview with Rolling Stone ... finally an interview that doesn't ask the bland and boring aka how did you feel ... was it good to prove Simon wrong ... blah blah blah. They actually get into his taste in music ... and he is quite the music afficiando:

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/sto..._american_idol

Also, an awesome write-up from one of his 'way back when' fellow muso's

http://www.thecornernews.com/servlet...=1137836464154

Love this bit specially:
    Forget about words that entertainment media refer to like quirky, spastic and appeal - his love of performing music made it happen.
    Amen brother! I think both of those articles sum up what I like best about Taylor - he is the real deal ... not some starlet-wannabe just lookin to get their name in lights, but someone who'll do whatever it takes (including dancing with the devil) if it'll give him the chance to sing. Bring it on Taylor ...!
    Last edited by JR.; 06-01-2006 at 08:07 PM.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharrhys View Post
    So are you intimating that an American Idol is supposed to be about looks? That is so shallow - America has proven time and time again that talent and personality are more important - and they did again this year. Then again, many women find Taylor attractive and a true soul man. And people feel Taylor is truly authentic - there isn't anything fake about him. What you see is what you get and that is far more appealing than beauty that fades over time.

I don't know why I waste my time defending Taylor when he already has the crown. I guess it's a form of stress relief for me .
    Yes, it is shallow, but honestly, ideally yes, looks do play a factor. When someone says "he/she has matinee idol looks", it doesn't mean that they are ugly. If Kat only had looks, then it wouldn't be enough, but she has a tremendous amount of talent to back it up. It's the entire package. Anyway that's what I think of from the title American Idol. If the show were called America's most talented singer then I would go strictly on vocal abilities.

FORT Newbie
    Yes, it is shallow, but honestly, ideally yes, looks do play a factor ... Anyway that's what I think of from the title American Idol. If the show were called America's most talented singer then I would go strictly on vocal abilities.
    Then thank goodness you didn't have the final say this year ... I'd have to agree with this writer on that score ...

The truth about him was that you couldn’t take your eyes off of him from the moment he appeared on camera. He was the only contestant who got the idea that music and performing is about connecting with the audience. He was the only one who sang songs that made you want to hum them all day long. (How many of you had to go and listen to Elton John’s “Levon” after Hicks sang it?)

But let’s get this straight, folks. I saw him first! Hicks was the only contestant I ever voted for consistently from week one. He was the only reason I tuned in week after week and he is the only contestant, aside from perhaps Barrino, to make the Idol competition seem like more worthwhile than the silliness it’s been in the past few years. Finally, he is the only Idol whose CD I will happily buy and not be embarrassed to play it, and sing to it, in my car.

Could it be that Americans aren’t as stupid as everyone’s been saying? (Well, as long as Pharoah doesn't have his way ...) Could it be that we actually do know what we’re doing in picking our American Idol? That we don’t like them cocky or dynamic or hip and trendy, but rather kind and honest and singing from the heart type? Or could it be that Taylor Hicks just needed an audience and the magic was all his.
    http://www.smmirror.com/MainPages/Di...s.asp?eid=3300

JR.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    Maybe someone with more knowledge about the music industry can help me out here. If they're all under the same corporate ownership (as all the labels mentioned in the article are), does it matter what the actual label is? Or is it more for marketing than anything else?
    Most of the time the parent company will use the different labels to separate the different genres. So, you can say it's for marketing. Sometimes the smaller ones are aquired and kept "as is" for name recognition,

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwigal View Post
    Then thank goodness you didn't have the final say this year ... I'd have to agree with this writer on that score ...

Great article! I'm going to post it in the media thread (in case you haven't already). Thanks!

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwigal View Post

I can almost guarantee that the writer of that article has unfortunate looks.

FORT Newbie
    ... and speaking of Alicia Keyes, I know this is pretty old and y'all may have seen it already, but I was excited to hear she caught the Taylor vibe too!!!

http://www.al.com/entertainment/birm...190.xml&coll=2

Alicia Keys, a Grammy-winnilng singer and songwriter, admitted that she occasionally watches "Idol" with her grandmother, who's hooked this season. "I like the guy with the gray hair," Keys said. "His little flow is hot."
    Hmmm ... am wondering if Pharoah finds Alicia 'unfortunate' in the looks department ... or Mandy Moore for that matter???
    Mandy Moore, ... gushed that she and boyfriend Zach Braff are "huge Taylor fans." Moore added, "He's such a soulful individual."

+ Reply to Thread

LinkBacks (?)

1. 04-12-2007, 09:01 PM