+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Taylor Hicks - Season 5

6/1: Kat, Taylor singles
    By Rodney Ho | Wednesday, May 31, 2006, 03:06 PM

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

The new Taylor Hicks CD single “Do I Make You Proud” with “Takin’ it to the Streets” will be out June 13. It’s been in the top 10 on Amazon.com the past few days. Runner-up Katharine McPhee’s “My Destiny” with “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” will be out June 27 and sales trail far behind. As of Wednesday afternoon, it was ranked #35 vs. #5 for Taylor’s single.

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRobinGA View Post
    6/1: Kat, Taylor singles
    By Rodney Ho | Wednesday, May 31, 2006, 03:06 PM

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

The new Taylor Hicks CD single “Do I Make You Proud” with “Takin’ it to the Streets” will be out June 13. It’s been in the top 10 on Amazon.com the past few days. Runner-up Katharine McPhee’s “My Destiny” with “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” will be out June 27 and sales trail far behind. As of Wednesday afternoon, it was ranked #35 vs. #5 for Taylor’s single.
    I actually noticed Kat's single was in the 100s (103, 131, 150) for a few days and the sales really picked up when they changed the second song from "Think" to "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" and added the CD cover with her beautiful face on it. I wish Taylor could have had a different second song that wasn't available on the AI album - something like "Levon" or "Try a Little Tenderness." I also noticed how he went from #8 to #4 when they added his CD cover image - it's a very nice picture of him. I imagine it is difficult to rise up 4 spots in the top ten versus being lower in the rankings. That adds up to a lot of sales...good for Taylor. I already pre-ordered my copy.

Did ya'll hear about that crazy, yet addicting site: www.moosak.com? People can vote for their fave once every 5 minutes. Elliott has been leading on a consistent basis. Don't know how I got myself into this...

Hi Shar,

Thank you for addressing my query. What you described is teen adoration. Adults, however, are another thing entirely. The newspapers are filled with stories about celebrity stalkers, one of whom was following Jessica Sierra all over the country. I believe he started out with jewelry, but I'm not sure. Jewelry is a very personal gift. If I was Bo's wife, I'd get freaked just a bit.

A fan should consider donating money to a worthwhile charity that a celebrity supports.
    Last edited by roses4me; 06-01-2006 at 10:26 AM.

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar
    Taylor just signed his record deal

http://people.aol.com/people/article...199758,00.html
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

Quote Originally Posted by echo226 View Post
    I remember Ruben and Clay on Oprah. I'm pretty sure Ruben sang 2 songs and Clay only one ... and Ruben got more face time ... maybe she visited him at AI ? Oprah went out of her way to acknowledge Ruben as the winner and Clay as the runner-up. Wonder if she'll invite Taylor and if Kat shows up, do Taylor the same favor.
    Ruben was out first by himself for quite a while before they even brought Clay out.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharrhys View Post
    ... I wish Taylor could have had a different second song that wasn't available on the AI album - something like "Levon" or "Try a Little Tenderness." ...
    I think that's ridiculous marketing strategy (or lack thereof) on the part of 19E because one reason people buy the Idol compilation albums is for the songs by their favorites. Now Taylor's fans have no reason to buy the "Encores" CD unless they happen to be fans of Elliott, Chris, Paris, etc., as well.

It may work the other way around too. If you bought the Encores CD and if, like me, you really don't like the song "Do I Make You Proud?" very much, why buy the single? (I'll buy one just for the cover but otherwise I'd just download "Takin' It To The Streets" alone on iTunes.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharrhys View Post
    ... I also noticed how he went from #8 to #4 when they added his CD cover image - it's a very nice picture of him. I imagine it is difficult to rise up 4 spots in the top ten versus being lower in the rankings. That adds up to a lot of sales...good for Taylor. I already pre-ordered my copy.
    I haven't heard the actual recording that Taylor did for his single, and I am hoping it sounds better than he has sounded on the song on R&K, Today, and The Early Show. It's pretty ho-hum.
    Dogs have owners. Cats have staff. §;-D

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723 View Post
    Ruben was out first by himself for quite a while before they even brought Clay out.

That's because Ruben wasn't only the winner, but he was also Oprah's personal favorite. I really hope they do give Taylor the extra time if they do appear together anywhere. He deserves it
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolBabe View Post
    The Today show has always had both winner & runner-up on, nothing new. Taylor will probably get one extra song.
    Taylor did get an extra song on Today today, but it was during the third hour of the show, which many local NBC affiliates do not carry. Katharine did not hog the camera or mic deliberately, but I think the cameramen (I'm guessing this is men's doing) did focus on her longer than they did on Taylor, and the hosts kept treating them as though they had basically tied for the title and were essentially "co-winners." In fact, one of the show's co-hostesses twice referred to Taylor and Kat as this year's "American Idol winners" or "your American Idols."
    They didn't do that when it would have made sense, in Season 2 (given the producers' announcements on the finale), nor did they do it in Season 3 (when Bo was arguably a more popular contestant than Kat was this year). In fact, in a way both Katharine and Taylor got short changed. Last year, Bo was on Today by himself and got to sing 3 songs, to a crowd heavily filled with his fans. (I didn't see Carrie's appearance but I'm guessing she got as much mic time as Bo did, or more.)

I am hoping we don't have to see more of these appearances where the show hosts are acting like Katharine barely lost to Taylor. If they want to fawn over her in a separate appearance, that's fine. But Taylor and Kat were not a Laurel-and-Hardy type comedy team on Idol, nor were they bosom buddies. There's really no excuse for acting like they're some sort of team.

Quote Originally Posted by combatcutie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723
    That's because Ruben wasn't only the winner, but he was also Oprah's personal favorite
    Justin Guarini was also on the show. The reason they were all on together, I think, was that Ruben's and Clay's singles were released on the same day (to "continue the competition," per TPTB) and Justin's debut album was released the same week (IIRC).
    Since Kat's single will be released a week or two later than Taylor's, I think it would be better for her if she got her "spotlight" closer to the release of that CD.
    Last edited by Grisabella; 06-01-2006 at 02:42 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

LinkBacks (?)

1. 04-12-2007, 09:01 PM