+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 272 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232464114 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Taylor Hicks - Season 5

FORT Fogey
    To me, this year's winner is VERY OBVIOUS. It is in fact Taylor Hicks. Mark my words. This bores me, but I know the human psyche and what makes them tick. Taylor will win and end up fizzling out after his debut CD.

FORT Newbie
    May not make it far maybe 7-8 but he definitely has a serious future.

FORT Fogey
    I would love to see Taylor Hicks win this thing, but it won't be easy, even with his obvious talent. For one thing, Simon Cowell won't let it happen without a fight.

Quote Originally Posted by ericsshop View Post
    May not make it far maybe 7-8 but he definitely has a serious future.
    I think you are underestimating by a long shot. There are other Idol boards out there where some contestants have posts in the 50's & 60's while Taylor is up in the 1,000's already. Unless he completely falls flat he will be around for evah!

I know I'm in the minority but I have to say I am not a Taylor Hicks fan. He just seems so phony. I cringed during Hollywood week when he came in playing that harmonica. Ugh. Nothing about him is appealing to me, style, voice, looks, nothing.

FORT Fanatic

Billy Klippert

Quote Originally Posted by Remus Lupin View Post
    In Canadian Idol 1, 3rd place finisher Billy Klippert sang "Levon" and eventually recorded it for his first album. He did pretty well with this song. I can imagine Taylor also doing a good job.

*FA edit- links to filesharing site*
    Billy Klippert Singing LEVON is my favourite Idol performance of all. Of any of the Idol shows. He was absolutely superb. I don't see it being Taylor's style though. However, I want Taylor to win already. I could sit and listen to this man all night. He has the blues in him for sure.

FORT Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post
    I think you are underestimating by a long shot. There are other Idol boards out there where some contestants have posts in the 50's & 60's while Taylor is up in the 1,000's already. Unless he completely falls flat he will be around for evah!
    I think we just hit 10,000 posts on another board... and the man hasn't sung for more than 15 seconds yet!

Birmingham News article (2/21/06):

http://www.al.com/entertainment/birm...010.xml&coll=2

Soul patrolman
    Tuesday, February 21, 2006
    MARY COLURSO
    News staff writer

Taylor Hicks knows precisely what he's going to buy if he makes the big bucks on "American Idol."

A sleek Ferrari? An Armani wardrobe? A mansion in Greystone?

Nope.

"A couch," Hicks says. "The most expensive couch in the whole world."

This Birmingham musician says he hasn't exactly been living the luxe life on his earnings from years of playing in area bars and restaurants.

"I've been lying on a couch that I had in college," says Hicks, 29. "And it's not even a couch, just bundles of cotton. My friend's dog rolled in a cow carcass and sat on it."

But the shabby upholstery in Hicks' Southside apartment seems likely to improve in the near future, along with a shiny upgrade in his public profile.

Last week, Hicks was chosen for the top 24 on "Idol," a nationally televised singing contest on the Fox network. His soul stylings - although unusual for a reality series that aims to create pop stars - earned Hicks a spot among 12 men and 12 women competing for the "Idol" title on its fifth season.

The winner receives a recording contract from RCA and, typically, the devotion of millions of viewers.

"I'm really excited to be at this point, because I know it's going to help my career," Hicks says. "This could be my big break. A rate increase is on the way."

Struggling and scraping have been his lot since age 18, when Hicks performed one of his first professional concerts at the Flora-Bama Lounge & Package Store in Perdido Key. He was inexperienced and green, while already sporting the prematurely gray hair that has become his trademark.

But Hicks had a talent for the harmonica and a love of classic tunes by R&B greats such as Ray Charles, Sam Cooke and Etta James.

"Taylor always liked the blues," recalls his grandmother, Joni Hicks, 78, of Gulf Shores. "I can remember him at age 12, bursting in the room doing a Mick Jagger strut. He'd say, `Grandmother, you've got to hear this!' And then he'd play `Try a Little Tenderness' by Otis Redding. What other kid do you know who does that?"

Relatives say they encouraged Hicks to become a marketing director like his grandma, or a dentist like his father, Bradley Hicks of Hoover.

'I can feel it'

Mother music, Hicks says, had other ideas.

His calling kicked him in the gut as a teenager - from the minute Hicks heard, understood and imitated the harmonica solo on Supertramp's "The Long Way Home," from the 1979 album "Breakfast in America."

"I can't read music," he says. "I can feel it, though. I started playing and the notes made sense. That was it for me. I knew that if I put my mind to it, I could be good at this."

Hicks' focus has never wavered from that goal, although, for practicality's sake, he did attend Auburn University and the University of Alabama at Birmingham. A degree in broadcast journalism just didn't have the allure of entertainment, nor did it hold Hicks' interest for long.

Late-night sets at the War Eagle Supper Club proved much more intriguing, as did a long line of nightclub and festival dates to follow. Hicks rattles off the names with ease: Marty's, the Oasis, Zydeco, the Open Door, Billy's, City Stages, BayFest, Jubilee CityFest.

"I stopped going to school when somebody started paying me to play music," he says. "All I've ever wanted is an agent, a van and a trailer."

Success on "American Idol" can provide these things and more, as the show has done for previous Alabama finalists. Birmingham's Ruben Studdard, the season two winner, had the top-selling gospel album in 2005 and a gold record in "I Need an Angel."

Huntsville native Bo Bice, the season four runner-up, went gold with his pop-rock debut, "The Real Thing," and left a modest Helena home last year for pricier digs in Nashville.

Both "Idol" graduates are undeniable celebrities, with resumes that include magazine spreads, award nominations and appearances on TV talk shows. They've paved a glittering path that Hicks is hoping to follow.

"The whole Birmingham pipeline interested me," he says. "I knew that I had performed a lot, and if they could do it, maybe I could, too. I had the idea that being on `American Idol' is a great way to get your voice heard. It's an outlet. I kind of went for it."

Hicks will take the next step Wednesday on a live broadcast from Hollywood at 7 p.m., trying to charm the judges and out-sing his male competitors. The female finalists will perform tonight. Results of voting for both groups will be announced on Thursday, and the list of contestants will shrink from 24 to 20.

"Bo broke it open for somebody like Taylor to be looked at as a possible `American Idol' winner," says Sam Gunderson, 32, the guitarist in Hicks' band. "He's not a cookie-cutter pop singer, but he has a dynamic they need to make the show interesting. He's a consummate professional. And he can pretty much sing anything."

'Whoopee'

Hicks says producers for the show, Ken Warwick and Nigel Lythgoe, have encouraged him to be as flamboyant on camera as he might be in the grittiest Southern saloon. During his audition for the judges in Las Vegas, for example, Hicks says he first approached Randy Jackson, Paula Abdul and Simon Cowell in a subdued manner.

Warwick and Lythgoe, who had seen Hicks in earlier rounds, missed the Joe Cocker homage and Ray Charles movements they'd seen him perform before.

"Ken came around the corner and said, `Take your hands out of your pockets and do what you do,'" Hicks remembers. "Paula and Randy were taken aback. They said I'm a throwback. Simon said, `No way.'"

Apparently, Cowell remains unenthusiastic about Hicks, but Abdul and Jackson have been his champions. On the last episode, when Hicks heard he'd been selected for the top 24, he serenaded the judges with his harmonica and sang a bluesy little ditty about Hollywood.

"Whoopee," Cowell said flatly, as Hicks left the room. But the other two judges were all smiles.

"What's wrong with this guy for you?" Jackson protested.

Winning without Cowell's support might be difficult, but Hicks already has developed an enthusiastic fan base on the "American Idol" bulletin boards. His admirers call themselves the Soul Patrol and have posted thousands of Internet messages on his behalf.

If their praise translates to a sufficient number of votes, Hicks might spend the next few weeks, or possibly months, in Los Angeles. That's far from hardship duty, he says, although it will mean canceling some previously scheduled gigs in bars.

Also, Hicks will have to find a temporary caretaker for his two goldfish, Lamont and Ray.

"I'm not worried about them," he says, "because they've been through the mill. Two bay windows blew open once and semi-froze them in their 10-gallon tank. They're still here.

"They're survivors," he concludes. "Just like me."

E-mail: mcolurso@bhamnews.com

© 2006 The Birmingham News
    © 2006 al.com All Rights Reserved.

I don't get everyone's love for him. There are others in the competition who have better vocals and performances. I guess it's the two together in this guy? From what I've heard, though, he's the "talk of the town" this season.
    "...but this, all pleasures fancies be; If ever any beauty I did see, Which I desired, and got, 'twas but a dream of thee..."

FORT Fogey
    Okay, I take back what I said about him being the American Idol. He will not be. He looks like he's having seizures on stage and vocally he's not one of the best.

+ Reply to Thread

LinkBacks (?)

1. 04-12-2007, 08:01 PM