+ Reply to Thread
Page 95 of 163 FirstFirst ... 45858687888990919293949596979899100101102103104105145 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Elliott Yamin - Season 5

I really think there's hope. I think that at this point people are not voting for the particualr night's competition--they are voting for their Idol, their favorite, and people already have their favorites.

Remember that Elliott had more votes than Kat last week, and I would imagine a lot of Chris's votes will go to Taylor and Elliott before they would go to kat--different kind of style and all. Taylor and Elliott both have a lot of soul like Chris did.

All my Chris votes went to Elliott.

Quote Originally Posted by natashapierre View Post
    I'm completely with you on the conniption fit, as well as on, Let's have more *music* on this show.

Also on how gorgeously Elliott did I Believe in My Soul. ... loved it loved it loved it.

But I do think that the judges' lukewarm response may have worked. They're looking for a pop idol, and an awful lot of people like bland pop music, and probably just don't connect with Elliott's style or the songs he loves at all. How many I Believe in My Soul's do we hear on the radio?

I think Elliott would rather sing what he sang and let the chips fall, really.
    I hope you're right about the judges' comments. And I completely agree with you on Elliott's song choices. I respect him more for not shying away from songs that got him the "too hip for the room" critique from Clive. He knows his own style and sticks with it, and I admire him for that, because he has great taste. So I'm fine with letting the chips fall too; I'd rather him sing what he wants and sing the heck out of it than court a pop crowd by dipping into banality.

I got in about 100 votes for Elliot in the last 30 minutes of voting.

I re-watched Elliott's performances from last night this morning and I'm a lot happier with them. As usual, I'm too nervous the first time around to truly enjoy them, and last night's serious de-pimping from the judges didn't help matters. But I Tivo-ed through all the crap this morning and just focused on the songs, and you know what? What You Won't Do For Love and I Believe It To My Soul were actually pretty great. IBITMS takes a couple listens before the hook kicks in, but once it does, it's awesome.

Open Arms was still The Return Of Nervous Elliott, though.

Quote Originally Posted by tdoug View Post
    Yes, but I thought he sounded good on it nevertheless.

I re-watched Elliott's performances from last night this morning and I'm a lot happier with them. As usual, I'm too nervous the first time around to truly enjoy them, and last night's serious de-pimping from the judges didn't help matters. But I Tivo-ed through all the crap this morning and just focused on the songs, and you know what? What You Won't Do For Love and I Believe It To My Soul were actually pretty great. IBITMS takes a couple listens before the hook kicks in, but once it does, it's awesome.

I totally agree with you. I watched it again this morning and I thought he sounded great, AS USUAL. Along with the judges and the reaction of a lot of people on here last night, I was second guessing myself. He did his thing without over the top singing or dancing, and he did it good. I even thought he sounded pretty good on Open Arms. I loved the way he did WYWDFL and IBITMS.

Thank you to all the fans of former contestants who took the time to vote for Elliott last night.

Quote Originally Posted by kattatude View Post
    Thank you to all the fans of former contestants who took the time to vote for Elliott last night.

Yes! Thank you all!!

FORT Newbie

Yep...I had the exact same take when I was watching it. I know people weren't really hot for "I Believe"...but my mouth dropped during that performance. He was hitting all the rapid chord changes and the riffs like a pro! You give a song like that to Kat and her voice would collapse.

Quote Originally Posted by marlap View Post
    I really think there's hope. I think that at this point people are not voting for the particualr night's competition--they are voting for their Idol, their favorite, and people already have their favorites.

Remember that Elliott had more votes than Kat last week, and I would imagine a lot of Chris's votes will go to Taylor and Elliott before they would go to kat--different kind of style and all. Taylor and Elliott both have a lot of soul like Chris did.
    Marlap I so hope you're right and Chris' votes went to Elliot. I would hate to see Kat in the finale over Elliot. Simon's "your mom would be proud" comments really annoyed me (they seemed condescending) and prompted me to vote extra for Elliot. Hope the same went for others! I just love Elliot--his voice and his humility.
    As I got older I had to step out of the lines and make up my own mind. --Liz Phair

+ Reply to Thread