+ Reply to Thread
Page 94 of 163 FirstFirst ... 4484858687888990919293949596979899100101102103104144 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Elliott Yamin - Season 5

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Quote Originally Posted by natashapierre View Post
    As for the last song, I choose to believe that, not only was he trying to reprise his growly attitude on Trouble, and I think he did. But I also choose to believe that the song was basically a message to the show: I know your game.

Look at these lyrics -- plus the lyric he rewrote:

One of these days, and it won't be long,
    You're gonna look for me and I'll be gone.
    I believe, oh, I said I believe, oh yeah
    I believe, baby you're trying to make a fool out of me.

And then this part --

Last night when you were sleeping, I heard you say
    "Oh Nelly" when you know my name,
    When you know my name, when you know my name is Elliott Yamin.
    Oh yeah - I believe, baby, said I believe you're trying to make a fool out of me.
    I love it that he put his own name into the song, and I think he knew exactly what he was doing.
    I loved that he did that....me and my son looked at each other and said "did he just say his name in that song?"......
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

I got in about 40 votes for Elliott. I'm not sure it made the difference, but I've never voted so much for anyone.

I really wish Kat would get sent packing. I feel like she doesn't get the meaning of her songs, and the floor thing is getting pretty old. I'm pretty confident Taylor would squash her in the final 2, but I'd rather El be there.

The first placement didn't help Elliott at all. I'll be sad if he goes tonight, but maybe with continued support by Paula/Randy, he'll be a top 3 finisher that actually makes it big.
    Why is it boys talk so much, when they have nothing to say? And girls have plenty to say, but no one will listen?
    --Vada Sultenfuss

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama View Post
    I loved that he did that....me and my son looked at each other and said "did he just say his name in that song?"......
    That was cool and certainly I think he knows how the game is played. No doubt....whatever the outcome everyone does know his name

Quote Originally Posted by jasminefan View Post
    I'm calling the shenanigans on this one. Here's the breakdown for the mp3 song lengths:

Elliott = 4:43
    "Open Arms" 1:31
    "What You Won't Do For Love" 1:20
    "I Believe To My Soul" 1:52

Katharine = 5:37
    "I Believe I Can Fly" 1:43
    "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" 2:34
    "I've Got Nothing But The Blues" 1:20

Taylor = 5:18
    "Dancing In The Dark" 1:35
    "You Are So Beautiful" 1:56
    "Try A Little Tenderness" 1:47

Credit: Formicide @ TWOP
    This really ticks me off. Elliott is the best singer of the 3 and they screwed him!

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama View Post

I love it that Elliott is now nervy enough to put his own name into songs on national television. I think that probably means that he's now nervy enough to try to pursue his dreams by using his new contacts, contacting record companies, and so on.

When he was interviewed on Richmond TV, asked whether he'd still call Richmond home, he said that he always would but that from now on he'd "go where work takes me." So I think he's got the confidence now to actually look for that work, when he didn't before.

That's all that really matters to me, actually. I want him to work in music. He's clearly made friends with AI's vocal coaches, backup singers, and so on, so he's getting a feel for how it all works. And since he's such a nice guy as well as so talented -- plus *raw*, and not already stuck in one mold of performing -- I can't believe that people aren't going to be intertested in working with him, when he comes calling. I think somebody out there is going to be happy to mold him, and in a good way, not the 19E way that results in the horrible AI-related albums.

Quote Originally Posted by LAGuy View Post
    Elliott got screwed.
    I totally agree that Elliott got screwed.

I think I may have had it with this show. Their manipulations are getting more and more blatant.

I would seriously enjoy a Taylor / Elliott final. However, I don't think I'll bother watching if Katharine is in it, because I know they're setting her up to win. And If she does, IMO she will be the worst singer to ever actually win the title, and this show has lost whatever little credibility it had.

I'm calling the shenanigans on this one. Here's the breakdown for the mp3 song lengths:

SOTR was so obviously a staged moment.... I enjoyed it, but I don't think it was fair to Taylor or Elliot.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    SOTR was so obviously a staged moment.... I enjoyed it, but I don't think it was fair to Taylor or Elliot.
    Fair? Nothing's fair on this show. Taylor got to sing the first Bruce Springsteen song on the show and got to announce that Clive made a personal phone call to get the song for him. Now that's the daily "Pimp Special"!
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

Conniption fit? Anyone with me?

First, why the heck was there only 15 minutes of singing during an hour-long singing competition? Gosh, I hate this show.

Second, yeah it sucks that McPhee got to sing all of SOTR, allowing her song to flow naturally and build upon itself, while the others, particularly E's "Open Arms" were gutted to the point of being awkward. I think if E had been able to knock out the other verse or at least repeat the chorus, that performance would've been worlds better.

The only thing about last night's show that worries me though, is Elliott's last performance. It was sooo great. I'm a lover of that song from way back, and I was more impressed than I thought I would be by Elliott's take on it. He tackled the complicated melody perfectly. He had the soulful, growly, manly spirit down pat, and his vocals were awesome too. I dug it. I dug it very deep. He did an excellent job ...

... and then the judges panned it. He gave them a really great heartfelt, soulful performance, and he got pats on the back from R&P, and then Simon pats him on the head and tells him he's a good boy? Whaaa? They completely overshadowed how good he was by making it seem like he'd failed. Making people think he'd failed. That mess had me nearer to cursing than I've ever been in my whole life. And what's worse, and what has me worried, is that I think it might've worked. I sincerely hope not; I hope people rallied around Elliott instead of giving up on him, because he does not deserve to go home tonight.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by MotherSister View Post
    Conniption fit? Anyone with me?

First, why the heck was there only 15 minutes of singing during an hour-long singing competition? Gosh, I hate this show.

....The only thing about last night's show that worries me though, is Elliott's last performance. It was sooo great. I'm a lover of that song from way back, and I was more impressed than I thought I would be by Elliott's take on it. He tackled the complicated melody perfectly. He had the soulful, growly, manly spirit down pat, and his vocals were awesome too. I dug it. I dug it very deep. He did an excellent job ...

... and then the judges panned it. He gave them a really great heartfelt, soulful performance, and he got pats on the back from R&P, and then Simon pats him on the head and tells him he's a good boy? Whaaa? They completely overshadowed how good he was by making it seem like he'd failed. Making people think he'd failed. That mess had me nearer to cursing than I've ever been in my whole life. And what's worse, and what has me worried, is that I think it might've worked. I sincerely hope not; I hope people rallied around Elliott instead of giving up on him, because he does not deserve to go home tonight.
    I'm completely with you on the conniption fit, as well as on, Let's have more *music* on this show.

Also on how gorgeously Elliott did I Believe in My Soul. ... loved it loved it loved it.

But I do think that the judges' lukewarm response may have worked. They're looking for a pop idol, and an awful lot of people like bland pop music, and probably just don't connect with Elliott's style or the songs he loves at all. How many I Believe in My Soul's do we hear on the radio?

I think Elliott would rather sing what he sang and let the chips fall, really.

+ Reply to Thread