+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 163 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181959109 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Elliott Yamin - Season 5

Elliot was amazing last night. I think he probably has the best voice of all the men.

Quote Originally Posted by jasminefan View Post
    Elliot is fantastic! Based on voice alone he should win the competition.
    Here may be his problem. It's not based on voice alone. I'm having a hard time imagining him as a pop star. Just unable to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by RubyRed View Post
    Here may be his problem. It's not based on voice alone. I'm having a hard time imagining him as a pop star. Just unable to do it.
    The same argument could have been made about Clay Aiken and he made it to the final 2. I also don't think Reuben fit the "pop star" mold.

Quote Originally Posted by ballin1 View Post
    man..this guy is REALLY impressive. i don't know if most people appreciate just how hard it is to sing the songs he has sung the way he sings them. seriously, i was impressed when he sang his first song last week, but this week just solidified in my mind how talented he is. forget his looks for a minute...this guy's voice is HEAD AND SHOULDERS above everyone else's in the comp. The guy's got great range and incredible voice control. Its hard as heck not to go falsetto in any stevie wonder song. Notice, he didn't go falsetto once! He voice just basically glides over the high and low notes with no hint of shallowness. His voice is so rich and resonant through all the notes, without a HINT of strain. Its crazy. Its the type of voice that you're born with and something you can't teach. Simon was right (as he usually is) last week when he said this guy could potentially be the best male vocalist they've had on the show. I'm not at all concerned whether he can sing "other types of songs" like Simon indicates. He's a natural. And with a voice naturally that good, you can sing pretty much anything well.

to the FORT, Ballin.

I agree with everything you said, especially your comment that it is "crazy" that someone that talented is on the show.

Here's what I said in the show thread:

Elliot was fantastic. He has a genius for interpreting a song. Not only is the tone of his voice beautiful and his pitch almost flawless, he can improvise around the melody--ie. he can change the rhythm, lenghth of notes and volume to add depth to the meaning of a song. Each time I replay his singing, I hear new aspects of his changes. It is astounding to me that his experience has been limited to karoke.
    Last edited by pillbeam; 03-02-2006 at 12:08 PM.

I love him and think he's got the most incredible and marketable voice on the show. However, he reminds me of what a "Hatfield" or "McCoy" might look like on the show.
    Support bacteria -- it's the only culture some people have.

Quote Originally Posted by realityfan101 View Post
    The same argument could have been made about Clay Aiken and he made it to the final 2. I also don't think Reuben fit the "pop star" mold.
    Clay was molded a LOT after he made the finals. I expect that Elliott will make the finals, so I'm withholding judgement on him until then when the professional stylists get ahold of him.

FORT Fogey
    I usually like Elliot, but I didn't care for last night's performance at all (regardless of what the judges said).

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam View Post
    to the FORT, Ballin.

I agree with everything you said, especially your comment that it is "crazy" that someone that talented is on the show.

Here's what I said in the show thread:

Elliot was fantastic. He has a genius for interpreting a song. Not only is the tone of his voice beautiful and his pitch almost flawless, he can improvise around the melody--ie. he can change the rhythm, lenghth of notes and volume to add depth to the meaning of a song. Each time I replay his singing, I hear new aspects of his changes. It is astounding to me that his experience has been limited to karoke.

Thanks, pillbeam. I've been a visitor to this site but never posted before. But I HAD to give it up for Elliot. I've tivoed each of his performances and rewatched them a number of times, which I've never done before. Each time I watch, I just keep shaking my head. He really is a natural. And I agree with everything you've said. When someone is that good at singing where it comes so naturally, they can almost "play" with the rhythm, volume and the notes so that it seems they're not singing but almost interacting with the song. Whitney Houston is a great example of this.

Its like Simon always seems to say...people have to remember you after the show is over. Judging by the comments here, I think people are really starting to be won over by him, looks or not. People just like to listen to him, and relisten to him. And that's the biggest compliment a singer can get. I just hope the rest of America doesn't get all caught up in the "looks" department. I mean, seriously, Ace over Elliot?

I think the "looks" issue is kind of a non issue. Besides, if anything, they give Elliott a type of underdog status, and Americans love to root for the underdog, especially if he is talented. Many American Idol viewers pride themselves on being independent "judges" of good singing talent--almost to the point of snobbiness. I'm sure there are plenty of voters who are saying "I don't care what Elliott looks like, I know talent when I see it and I'm going to support it."

For me, I was initially put off by Elliott's look, but as I've grown to appreciate his talent and modesty, I'm finding him kinda cute in a down-to-earth, average-joe way.

Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam View Post
    I think the "looks" issue is kind of a non issue. Besides, if anything, they give Elliott a type of underdog status, and Americans love to root for the underdog, especially if he is talented. Many American Idol viewers pride themselves on being independent "judges" of good singing talent--almost to the point of snobbiness. I'm sure there are plenty of voters who are saying "I don't care what Elliott looks like, I know talent when I see it and I'm going to support it."

For me, I was initially put off by Elliott's look, but as I've grown to appreciate his talent and modesty, I'm finding him kinda cute in a down-to-earth, average-joe way.
    It's an odd thing about his looks -- in some of the Hell Week clips they showed last night, when he was forgetting the words and his face was in repose, he looked handsome. It's when he grins that crooked grin that he looks weird. So I guess the best thing the judges can do, to ensure those teen girl votes, is make him unhappy.

+ Reply to Thread