+ Reply to Thread
Page 58 of 163 FirstFirst ... 8484950515253545556575859606162636465666768108158 ... LastLast
Results 571 to 580 of 1623
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Elliott Yamin - Season 5

  1. #571
    FORT Fanatic
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    583
    Quote Originally Posted by MotherSister View Post
    I think he could pull it off too, but it's a bit expected and predictable. I want to hear something upbeat, which is why I think "Only the Good" is a good choice that Elliott could knock out of the park. And who doesn't like vintage Billy Joel.

    Or! I'd like to hear "Back in Love Again" by LTD. I just found out that was released in 1978. It's got a really great bass line, and an exciting tempo, great riffing potential. It's perfect to get him back in "funky white boy" territory. Too bad he's probably never heard of it.
    I remember Back In Love Again, but wasn't it titled Every Time I Turn Around? Regardless, not a bad choice. Still, for '78 I'd prefer he go uptempo, especially if he chooses an R&B or Buble song for his Top 100 performance. How about Poor Poor Pitiful Me, a fun song with some nice complexities in the vocals? Linda Rondstadt had her hit with it in 1978, but of course E should do the Warren Zevon arrangement. Zevon was the original artist, and his smirking, firmly tongue-in-cheek presentation would be perfect for the normal-looking Elliott. C'mon: "All these girls won't let me be/Lord have mercy on me...." Priceless.

    Unfortunately, "Only The Good Die Young" would be a terrible choice. Not that it isn't one of the all-time great pop-rock classics. But, it's firmly associated with Billy Joel and any attempt at a cover would be measured up to the original. Plus, it was, in its time, quite controversial; some considered it to be anti-Catholic. There is no reason at all to court controversy at this stage of the game.
    Last edited by dpiranha; 04-28-2006 at 11:39 AM.

  2. #572
    FORT Fanatic
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    583
    Quote Originally Posted by Jexter View Post
    I think Elliott could pull off Always and Forever. It's a great song.
    It's a good song, but it's been so overdone by every lounge singer and wedding band on six continents. Simon would spend 20 minutes making Portuguese Cabaret analogies. E needs to stay FAR away from it; he's come this far because of some smart song choices and deft vocals, and he's been praised well for it. The only words one normally hears after A&F are either (a) "Congratulations, Tyler and Ashley!" or (b) "Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all week."

  3. #573
    FORT Fan FeralFeeder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    164
    Ah, I went back and read the Idol site. I thought the song from the year they were born had to be from the Top 100 chart for that year, but it only says it has to be a song from the year they were born. Oh good, more choices!

  4. #574
    REMAIN INDOORS MotherSister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    2,845
    Quote Originally Posted by dpiranha View Post
    Plus, it was, in its time, quite controversial; some considered it to be anti-Catholic. There is no reason at all to court controversy at this stage of the game.
    *Showing my age.* I had no idea there was any controversy over that song. I wasn't even a twinkle in my parents' eyes in '78. But I went back and had a listen, and I can see where the controversy came from. I tend to think Elliott could weather a vocal comparison to Billy, and it is a great song, but I understand how it might be offensive.

    I went and listened to snippets of that Linda Rondstadt/Warren Zevon tune, and I agree, a rendition of that could be really entertaining.

    I fear for him on the current charts theme, though. There's a Rascal Flatts song on the country charts that might work, but I wish he had more to choose from.

  5. #575
    FORT Fogey razorbacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    9,408
    Quote Originally Posted by dpiranha View Post
    I remember Back In Love Again, but wasn't it titled Every Time I Turn Around? Regardless, not a bad choice. Still, for '78 I'd prefer he go uptempo, especially if he chooses an R&B or Buble song for his Top 100 performance. How about Poor Poor Pitiful Me, a fun song with some nice complexities in the vocals? Linda Rondstadt had her hit with it in 1978, but of course E should do the Warren Zevon arrangement. Zevon was the original artist, and his smirking, firmly tongue-in-cheek presentation would be perfect for the normal-looking Elliott. C'mon: "All these girls won't let me be/Lord have mercy on me...." Priceless.

    Unfortunately, "Only The Good Die Young" would be a terrible choice. Not that it isn't one of the all-time great pop-rock classics. But, it's firmly associated with Billy Joel and any attempt at a cover would be measured up to the original. Plus, it was, in its time, quite controversial; some considered it to be anti-Catholic. There is no reason at all to court controversy at this stage of the game.
    Poor Poor Pitiful me, as you said was written by Warren Zevon, but I heard a cover of it just this past week by Jackson Browne that was incredible. I had no idea he had even done the song. That's why I LOVE XM Radio. You hear stuff that you didn't even know existed.

  6. #576
    Bushbasher JFlo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    The soap opera in my head.
    Age
    39
    Posts
    334
    So many good songs to choose from out of 1978, which is arguably one of the best years for singer/songwriters. My thoughts...

    My Top 3 choices:

    "Just The Way You Are" - Suggested by many. Perfect choice. One of the most sincere, beautiful love songs of all time (too bad Billy wrote it for his ex wife, which has always made me ask "If Billy doesn't really mean it, then who does?) I think I finally have my answer to that question, Elliott Yamin. Ruben did a mediocre version in season 2, so it's ripe for the takin'. While we are on the subject of Billy Joel, I wouldn't mind hearing Elliott cover the entire album of THE STRANGER. John Stevens massacred "She's Always A Woman" in Season 2. Elliott would sing the heck out of this, but it's a little too low key. Our boy needs to shine.

    "Reminiscing" - Little River Band ("Hurry don't be late. I can hardly wait. I said to myself when we're old, we'll go walking through the park, dancing in the dark and reminiscing!"): Now here is a great upbeat pop song that is a throw back to the old standards. In many ways this is the perfect song for E. It's a love song, but it's got a lot of energy and style to it.

    "Two Out of Three Ain't Bad" - Meatloaf: If Elliott can cover Queen as well as he did, he can take on a voice like Meatloaf's and really knock us out.

    Other possibilities:

    "We're All Alone" - Rita Coolidge ("Close the window, come alive, and it will be alright...): suggested by A1TexasGal. Yes, a guy can sing it, in fact it was written and originally sang by Boz Scaggs.

    "Baby Come Back" - Player ("Baby come back. Any kind of fool could see, I was wrong, and I just can't live without you.") This would be great because it can be done very soulful, which is Elliott's forte.

    "Got To Get You Into My Life" - Earth Wind and Fire cover of The Beatles song. (Can he do that?) - Another upbeat soulful love song, allows for a lot of variation. Has anyone ever tried to sing a Beatle song before?

    "I Go Crazy" - Paul Davis ("I go crazy, when I look in your eyes I still go crazy.") A very sincere, sad song.

    PLEASE DON"T DO:

    "On Broadway" - George Benson "Movin' Out" - Billy Joel or any disco!!!

    Good luck Elliott!!!
    Stay Gold, JFlo

    "Craft Idea: Want to prevent a rerun of the Gulf of Tonkin off the coast of Iran? Just send Britney to the Strait of Hormuz and drop her on the Frigate USS Ingraham." Paparazzi As Unexploited Guardians of Democracy by Cintra Wilson [cintrawilson.com]

  7. #577
    REMAIN INDOORS MotherSister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    2,845
    Oh, man. Was EWF's "Got To Get You Into My Life" from 1978? That would be such an infectious hit if they could get it cleared. Which they probably can't. But it's nice to imagine.

  8. #578
    FORT Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Austin Texas
    Age
    67
    Posts
    9
    Some very good suggestions there, Jflo! The contestants can't do any Beatles song because they don't have the rights. Even if they could I think it would be suicide on TV because I've read on way too many forums/blogs people saying "Thank goodness they can't have Beatles week" because they think they would have to have been a Beatle or that they would have to perform the song precisely like the Beatles did. Holy ground we're talking about.

    I'm trying to figure our why your number one choice would be "Just The Way You Are" by Billy Joel when at the bottom you say "PLEASE DON'T DO: "On Broadway - George Benson "Movin' Out" - Billy Joel or any disco!!!

    What really scares me is when I look at the current Billboard top 10 for April 28th through May 4th. Turns out there is no Michael Buble there and hardly any music there at all. I'm at a loss - anyone have a suggestion.

    Also, I asked before whether Elliott or Claudette would possibly need $ to cover expenses while in L. A. If anyone knows I would appreciate an answer.

    ______________________
    old adage:
    Give a man a fish - feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish - feed him for a lifetime

    me:
    Also, teach a man to fish and probably his wife will be sitting at home alone while he is out fishing

    Later!

  9. #579
    FORT Fan
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    167
    Saw another list that listed Ambrosia's "How Much I Feel" on the 1978 charts. Would loooooove to hear him sing that.

  10. #580
    FORT Fan FeralFeeder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    164
    Quote Originally Posted by A1TexasGal View Post
    I'm trying to figure our why your number one choice would be "Just The Way You Are" by Billy Joel when at the bottom you say "PLEASE DON'T DO: "On Broadway - George Benson "Movin' Out" - Billy Joel or any disco!!!

    Also, I asked before whether Elliott or Claudette would possibly need $ to cover expenses while in L. A. If anyone knows I would appreciate an answer.
    That person was simply saying NOT to do George Benson's "On Broadway," Billy Joel's "Movin' Out," or any disco. I agree with all three.

    I said earlier I'd like "Just The Way You Are" or "I Go Crazy." I actually like the version Barry Manilow did of the latter on his Summer of '78 album.

    Who is Claudette?

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.