+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 163 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141555105 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Elliott Yamin - Season 5

Elliot has a good voice, but WHEWWWWWWWWW dude is UGLAY! UGLAY! The kind of UGLAY that a makeover can't even help.

I think he has a wonderful voice and a great personality also--that can make people very attractive in the eyes of someone who looks for the good in everyone.
    "...but this, all pleasures fancies be; If ever any beauty I did see, Which I desired, and got, 'twas but a dream of thee..."

Anya | Kata | Aimee so into you's Avatar
    I dont' think he's ugly at all. He's rather cute, with that subtle and raw quirkiness.
    beauty is only skin deep.

I was stunned to hear Simon say that this guy had the best voice. I sure didn't hear the same quality of voice Simon did. This guy wasn't BAD at all. But the best? How do ya figure that? This guy's performance is forgetable. The only thing I remember about it is what Simon said, because it seemed so undeserved. Oh well. Good luck to him.

Quote Originally Posted by FireStorm View Post
    Elliot has a good voice, but WHEWWWWWWWWW dude is UGLAY! UGLAY! The kind of UGLAY that a makeover can't even help.
    I respectfully disagree. I am looking forward to what the stylists and voice coaches do with this guy. Talk about raw material!
    Count your blessings!

FORT Newbie
    Eliott is the perfect example of the saying — DO NOT JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER.

He has a refreshing motown sound that’s very radio friendly, it’s pure, clear and vibrant. I mean he handled the tempo changes, stops and starts to Stevie Wonder's song effortlessly and gave it some of his own flair. Now that's definitely NOT karaoke in my book.

His looks reminds me of the Faun, Mr. Tumnus of the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe ( you know, the Chronicles of Narnia ). He needs a dental makeover but it would be a big mistake to do that.

If Taylor’s white hair is what distinghishes him, Eliott’s dentures will be the one that makes him stand out in the face of the pretty boys and girls.

He is one smart guy for toning down Simon's effusive praise when he said he has one of the best voices in 5 idol competitions. Eliott added the word -- POTENTIALLY -- which makes him look humble. Definitely a plus in this competition.

Can anyone tell me what ethnicity the family name -- YAMIN is ? Sounds Semitic to me.

dvm
    Get off the hate train.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blues Fan View Post
    Eliott is the perfect example of the saying — DO NOT JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER.

He has a refreshing motown sound that’s very radio friendly, it’s pure, clear and vibrant. I mean he handled the tempo changes, stops and starts to Stevie Wonder's song effortlessly and gave it some of his own flair. Now that's definitely NOT karaoke in my book.

His looks reminds me of the Faun, Mr. Tumnus of the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe ( you know, the Chronicles of Narnia ). He needs a dental makeover but it would be a big mistake to do that.

If Taylor’s white hair is what distinghishes him, Eliott’s dentures will be the one that makes him stand out in the face of the pretty boys and girls.

He is one smart guy for toning down Simon's effusive praise when he said he has one of the best voices in 5 idol competitions. Eliott added the word -- POTENTIALLY -- which makes him look humble. Definitely a plus in this competition.

Can anyone tell me what ethnicity the family name -- YAMIN is ? Sounds Semitic to me.
    Awesome assessment, Bluesfan. And I think that your right about his last name.
    Last edited by dvm; 02-24-2006 at 12:44 PM.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by fireflyer View Post
    I was stunned to hear Simon say that this guy had the best voice. I sure didn't hear the same quality of voice Simon did. This guy wasn't BAD at all. But the best? How do ya figure that? This guy's performance is forgetable. The only thing I remember about it is what Simon said, because it seemed so undeserved. Oh well. Good luck to him.

Simon said Elliot was "potentionally" the best male singer that they'd ever had. But no, I don't see it (or hear it), either. He's good but not great. He's not even the best from this season- Taylor owns that distinction.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Blues Fan View Post
    He has a refreshing motown sound thatís very radio friendly, itís pure, clear and vibrant. I mean he handled the tempo changes, stops and starts to Stevie Wonder's song effortlessly and gave it some of his own flair. Now that's definitely NOT karaoke in my book.
    I think that is what fools some people into thinking it wasn't such a great performance. As you said, it was so effortless.

Who else sings effortlessly? Stevie Wonder. That's why so many people think they can sing his songs, but few can actually do it well. In this same week, we saw a clear example of a bad cover version - Brenna certainly messed up one of the simplest Stevie Wonder songs.

After Simon complimented Elliot, I replayed his song once to evaluate him, then about 10 more times for the pleasure of listening to him. This guy has a gorgeous voice and practically flawless pitch and timing. And I agree, his take on the song was his own style. In fact, the emotional expression was layered in a complex way that gave more depth to the song. If you TIVO'd that show, I recommended replaying him.

I think his looks are fine except for the teeth, which just need to be capped. But it's no big deal to folks like me who are wowed by his talent. And, yeah, my favorite is Taylor, but there's room for more that one star on that stage, IMO.

+ Reply to Thread