+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Elliott Yamin - Season 5

Re: Elliott Yamin - Season 5

Elliott's new single Fight For Love is up on AOL Music. I love it! Album comes out May 5th.

Elliott's new single Fight For Love is available today at iTunes.

Fight For Love is starting to get some airplay in my part of the country...it is always a thrill for me to hear him on the radio!

I can't wait until his CD drops on May 5!

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Just four weeks from tomorrow for Elliott's new cd.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

'Idol' Yamin goes independent route
    By Lisa Respers France

(CNN) -- How does a Jewish guy from Richmond, Virginia, end up mining for gold in the genre of R&B music?

"I know, right," laughed Elliott Yamin. "And don't forget the two Christmas albums I've done."

Yamin, the third-place finalist in season five of "American Idol," is not what you would expect from someone who has achieved fame and success from the hugely popular show.

Years after he wowed judges with his soulful sounds, the independent artist remains humbled by the attention and grateful to the show and its fans for a shot at stardom.

"I still have a sizeable fan base from being on the show," Yamin said. "To get a toenail in the door of this business is hard enough and to sustain your success is even harder."

He's shooting for that continued good fortune with the planned May release of his sophomore album, "Fight For Love," which continues his love affair with soulful R&B music.

His self-titled debut album, which came out in 2007, entered Billboard as the highest new artist debut on an independent label in SoundScan history (No. 3 on the Top 200) at that time and spawned the platinum-certified, Top Five hit "Wait For You."

This time around, Yamin doesn't have the mega-machine that is "American Idol" buoying him, but he does have a few years experience in the business and more creative control, he said.

"The first album, we took our time with it, but at the same time we wanted to capitalize on the exposure that 'American Idol' gave me and I was green to the process of recording," he said. "This record differs because I've really grown and come into my own as an artist and a singer and I got to be part of the whole record. I co-wrote most of the album."

He also enlisted the help of some high-profile producers, such as Dave Tozer (who has worked with the likes of Jay-Z, Kanye West and John Legend), StarGate, and Jermaine Dupri.

And while he acknowledges that he has not had the same type of career as a fellow contestant from that season, Grammy-nominated rocker Chris Daughtry, Yamin said he is content with being an independent artist on Hickory Records.

"There's nobody really breathing down my neck telling me what I should or shouldn't do. It's very grassroots style and very organic the way we have done it," Yamin said. "When it comes to touring and merchandising, it's a little more profitable to me than, say, somebody even like Daughtry, who is selling millions and millions of records, because our deals are a little different."

"I don't have to sell millions and millions of records, although that would be nice, to see a profit," he added. "[As an independent artist] I'm my biggest asset."

Cortney Harding, indies correspondent for Billboard, said Yamin appears to be playing it smart.

" 'American Idol' gives you a boost and you can take that and use it how you want," said Harding, who added that the indie deals can be structured so that the artist recoups money quicker. "If you are a radio artist, you kind of need that major label machine, but if you want to do something that's not straight radio-friendly pop -- and you find the right partnership and the right people -- then it's great to go indie."

Yamin has clearly done well, as evidenced by the recent purchase of his first home in Los Angeles, California.

But it's the creative freedom that he most enjoys, and which allowed him to pour himself into this latest project.

Yamin used the album in part to help him deal with the grief from the death of his mother at age 65 this past year. "Someday" is about the loss of Claudette Yamin, who could often be seen in the audience of "American Idol" proudly cheering for her son.

"Losing her was really tough," Yamin said. "Music has always helped me in that it has always been a creative outlet for me to channel any emotion, whether it be good, bad or sad."

Yamin can thank his mother for his exposure to R&B, because she was also a soul singer. He grew up listening to the greats like Stevie Wonder and Donny Hathaway.

He said people have always expressed surprise at how soulful he sounds, and "American Idol" helped showcase his talent to the world.

For that reason, Yamin said, he doesn't mind that he is still talking about "AI" three seasons later.

"I understand that I will always be synonymous with the show. I get that and I am all right with it," he said. "I think I am a few more hits away from just being 'the artist Elliott Yamin.' "
    Link

FORT Fogey

Richmond Times-Dispatch review of Elliott's new album (due out Monday!) here:

Elliott Yamin&#39s new album bursts with soul, emotion | Richmond Times-Dispatch

It is the hometown paper, but she was pretty critical of the first album, so this isn't entirely without credibility. I know I'm excited to hear it.

MELISSA RUGGIERI MUSIC CRITIC
    Published: April 30, 2009

Two years of dues-paying. Two years of meeting the right people. Two years of training his voice and honing his songwriting skills.

They all equate to Elliott Yamin's second album soaring at a completely different level than his self-titled 2007 debut.

Granted, despite that record's shortcomings banal lyrics and tinny production the worst offenders -- Yamin did score a Top Five, platinum-certified hit with "Wait For You," the smooth R&B ballad that helped push his album past half a million in sales.

He has returned with an A-grade new single: the title track, "Fight For Love," which floats with an irresistible combination of husky emotion blanketed in Yamin's silky voice.

The album is impeccably produced by a slew of names, including Stargate and Dave Tozer, and doesn't veer much from the R&B-pop Yamin courted on his debut -- and why should it? His strength is an expressive, doused-in-whiskey voice that bulldozes through even the most pedestrian songs.

But the processed moments are rare. And hearing him delve into the meaty funk of "Cold Heart," an organic song stacked with brass bleats and a loose, spitting vocal turn, is an instant reminder of what makes Yamin so much more than an "American Idol" also-ran.

The dark, pleading ballad "You" leads into what should be a no-brainer as the next single, "Can't Keep On Loving You," on which Yamin's voice intimately caresses a gliding piano-doused melody.

But while "Can't Keep On" is the album's earworm, the centerpiece of this sophomore effort and the standout song among the 10 he co-wrote -- is "Someday," a heart-twisting valentine to his recently deceased mother, Claudette.

Even those who haven't lost a parent will find it easy to brush away the cynicism to be moved by Yamin's emotional questioning, "Do you still hear me when I call your name? Will you be with me when I lose my way?"

That the song isn't a gloppy Celine Dion-ized ballad, but a rich, gospel-flavored hand-waver packed with organ and a squealing guitar riff is testament again to how much Yamin has learned.

Urban Renewal - a new era BuckeyeAddict's Avatar

Thanks Natasha. I was an Elliott fan, but was very disappointed in his first album. It wasn't to my taste at all. Good to hear a glowing review from somebody who is being objective! I'll have to check this one out.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeAddict;3430375;
    Thanks Natasha. I was an Elliott fan, but was very disappointed in his first album. It wasn't to my taste at all. Good to hear a glowing review from somebody who is being objective! I'll have to check this one out.
    You're welcome!

Of course, this one may turn out to be particularly heavy on stuff you don't like! .... I know he hasn't gone for much old-school production -- trying to get pop airplay to build himself a nest egg, I think!

Anyway, here's hoping...

I thought Elliott's first album wasn't too bad....I'm hoping I like this new one better though....He's got what it takes to make an awesome album!!! I will be buying it!!!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by bill'swife;3430898;
    I thought Elliott's first album wasn't too bad....I'm hoping I like this new one better though....He's got what it takes to make an awesome album!!! I will be buying it!!!
    Me, too. Elliott's voice and interpretation of songs can pretty much make me like anything. On AI, he made me like least favorite song -- Heaven -- by my least favorite pop composer -- Bryan Adams -- among other things.

And I loved some things on the first album, such as Train Wreck and Movin' On.
    I'm even buying at Walmart, which I ordinarily don't do *ever*, because they've got the exclusive on one of the leaked tracks that I like a lot -- This Bridge is Burning. Elliott pretty much still has me captive after all this time.

+ Reply to Thread