+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Elliott Yamin - Season 5

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Re: Elliott Yamin - Season 5

Link Here

LIFE AFTER "IDOL"

Elliott Yamin takes breakthrough CD on the road
    Posted by the Asbury Park Press on 08/31/07
    BY LARRY RODGERS
    GANNETT NEWS SERVICE

Like several "American Idol" runners-up before him, soulful singer Elliott Yamin is trying to make the most of his experience and exposure on the blockbuster reality show.

Yamin, who has been touring in support of his self-titled debut CD, hopes to follow in the footsteps of Clay Aiken, Chris Daughtry, La Toya London, Kellie Pickler and Bo Bice, who all have parlayed finishes in at least the top six into successful record deals.

"The exposure that you get from the show is just out of this world," says Yamin, who finished third last season.

"Everybody and their mother knows the show and what it's about, and you become this household name overnight," adds Yamin, whom "Idol" kingpin Simon Cowell called "potentially the best male vocalist" to have competed on the program.

In its sixth season, "American Idol" attracted 40 million viewers during some of its broadcasts.

Yamin's album debuted in March at No. 3 on Billboard magazine's Top 200 chart and his single, "Wait for You," received healthy airplay.

"It's one of our most requested songs," says Mark Medina, program director at a local pop radio station in Phoenix, Ariz. "There is a lot of momentum for him (Yamin)."

The single also did well at the station's sister station in Los Angeles, Medina says.

Unlike several of his predecessors, Yamin, 28, is creating a career independent of the "American Idol" machine.

Series producer 19 Productions has inked recording or management deals with all the "Idol" winners and several finalists. But the company passed on making an offer to Yamin.

And that's just fine with the singer, who was born in Los Angeles and spent his teenage years in Richmond, Va.

"I wasn't insulted by any means. I really wanted nothing to do with them, to be honest," says Yamin, who has relocated to Los Angeles since his "Idol" run.

Despite the praise he drew from Cowell, as well as judge Randy Jackson, who was impressed by Yamin's duet with Mary J. Blige in last year's season finale, Yamin says the show's structure conflicted with his independent streak.

"I didn't really care for the way they treated us while we were on the show . . . I made the decision early on that I didn't want to continue with them," Yamin says.

"I didn't want to be anybody's puppet - I'm not saying anybody else is. But I wanted to seek a deal and seek everything independent of "Idol.' "

Yamin negotiated a sweet deal with Sony/ATV to release his debut on an independent label, Hickory Records, and receive a 50-50 share in profits an unheard-of level for a new act. Yamin also shares ownership of the five songs on the album that he helped write.

"I don't know anybody else from the show who got the kind of deal I got. They (19 Productions) didn't want me and I didn't want them. So it worked out great for both of us," the singer says.

Yamin acknowledges that his exposure through the show played a role in his recruiting some heavy-hitting collaborators for his debut, including the duo known as Stargate (who have written for Beyonce and Ne-Yo), DJ Lethal (Evanescence, Limp Bizkit), Michael Mangini (Joss Stone) and Derek Bramble (David Bowie).

"It's a totally new ballgame for me," Yamin says. "I hadn't had too much experience with writing prior to this, so I have a lot of work to do, a lot or learning."

~*~**~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    Hmmm...some interesting words from Elliott...I would gather that there is no love lost between him and 19.......I Elliott though!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

FORT Fan

Hmmm...some interesting words from Elliott...I would gather that there is no love lost between him and 19.......

Well they invited him back and he accepted last season despite being outside 19, whereas the likes of Kat, Diana, and Josh (who had comparable success to Elliott signing elsewhere) weren't asked back.

FORT Fanatic

but elliot was lucky that 19 wasn't going to sign him and let him go on his own (even though with some "advice" like don't release anything until his fellow AI5 released theirs). 19 could have played hard ball and try to sign him and blah blah blah. but i think they realized how popular and talented elliot was, but i don't think they just had any plans for him since they made up their minds about chris early on.

and even though he said he's glad he has nothing to do with 19...im sure its just the contract situation. but he knows how much American Idol helped him with his career...exposure. and glad he hasn't snubbed AI altogether.

im glad his having a time of his life and success on his own terms. not many idols have succeeded but he released good material that will sustain him. just love the song "wait for you" and the video.
    not my frickin fault. fine, my fault, i always get blamed anyways.

I've read that Elliott has some TV appearances coming up:

He'll be on the ABC Family TV show "Lincoln Heights" on Tuesday, Sept. 18th and he'll be on Rachael Ray's show on Thursday, Sept. 20th.

Did ya'll see Elliott on Lincoln Heights? I love that show and he was awesome on it. They actually have a lot of really cool musical guests (like Elliott of course, and Chrisette Michele). I'm such a fan- it's really intense and dramatic - esp for ABC Family...

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    Benjamin Franklin.

Link Here

Elliott's girlfriend, Jaime, is in the running for Maxim's 2007 Hometown Hottie...right now she's in the Top 10.....you can vote for her at that link...I think voting goes through 10/8/07.

Banner from Elliott's myspace

Link Here

Tunstall, Yamin, Swift Ring In NBC's 'Season'
    October 03, 2007, 3:50 PM ET

Taylor Swift, KT Tunstall and Elliott Yamin have been chosen as the featured artists for the fifth annual "NBC Sounds of the Season" music collection. Comprised of three individual albums retailing for $6.99 each, the collection will be sold exclusively at Target stores beginning Oct. 14.

"NBC Sounds of the Season" is being released by Big Machine Records, Hickory Records and the Capitol Music Group in association with NBC Universal Video, Music & Product Development.

The release also coincides with NBC-TV's annual live special centered around the tree lighting ceremony at Rockefeller Plaza. This year's telecast, featuring various musical guests, is slated for Nov. 28.

In addition to holiday classics treated to new arrangements, the collection includes original songs recorded specifically for the project. Among them: "Christmases When You Were Mine" (on the Swift album) and "Let's Be Naughty (and Save Santa the Trip)" (the Yamin album). Last year's compilation, "NBC Sounds of the Season: Classic Holiday Song Book," is also being made available this year as part of the collection.

E has a girlfriend? o.0
    Question: What did you do in your downtime?
    Anya: We made up Couture Twister and Model-opoly! Katarzyna made it up.
    : Awwwwww!

Elliott's new video to "One Word" on AOL Music..

Video

Love the song..not loving the girl in the video..not loving his hair slicked back or him in the white suit.....but I still love him!

Yeah, the hair is definitely a mistake. Thanks for posting the video, bb!

+ Reply to Thread