+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 163 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232464114 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Elliott Yamin - Season 5

A solid performance by Elliott last night, but I worry that he's not flashy enough. Going up against Ace and camera-hog Taylor, among others, you've really got to concentrate on showmanship. I hope he gets another chance to show off his wonderful voice.

I didnt think Elliot's version of Bryan Adams song did him any justice. HARD to stand up to a musician like Bryan Adams. Way too risky.
    "At the beach, life is different. Time doesn't move hour to hour but mood to moment. We live by the currents, plan by the tides, and follow the sun." - anonymous

I really like Elliot too. I know I voted ALOT for him last night. I was a little nervous because even at 9:15 I wasn't getting very many busy signals.

I have to say - I do like his voice and his "Average Joe" type looks and personality. I just can't get past the teeth. He needs some serious grill work.
    "Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by lovesrealitytv View Post
    I just can't get past the teeth. He needs some serious grill work.

Most of us do.... With a new recording contract maybe he can!

giz
    I like Elliot, but I was bored last night with his song choice. I agree with Simon (ack, ack). I'd like to hear him do Simply Red or Marvin Gaye.

I don't know - my French students were watching Cyrano de Bergerac today and Roxanne tells Christian she loves his soul so much (meaning Cyrano's letters) that she wouldn't mind if he was ugly - in fact it would make her love him more. I kind of feel that way about Elliot. If he were a pretty boy with that voice, I'm not sure I'd be as enamored. When you love someone who's not traditionally handsome, you start to love the unusual things like the scrunchy things above his cheekbones and under his eyes when he smiles. He is so sincere compared to Taylor and Ace. I'm smitten.
    Count your blessings!

giz
    I actually think Elliot's kind of attractive. Sure there are teeth issues, but he's got great eyes, nice shaped face etc. I think we're all just used to seeing a certain Rob Lowe sort of face on tv and anything else challenges us. So I'm not quite smitten, but I can definetly see how you got there Gut.

FORT Newbie
    ugh...not impressed with Elliott tonight. After his last two performances, I was really looking forward to this one, and it was definitely a let-down. I guess that's the price you pay for having kicked serious bootie in your previous performances. The song was simply not right for him. He's got so much soul in his voice, but all of it was wasted on a ballad that, in my opinion, is very basic in rythym and tone. Technically speaking, the singing was fine. He was on tune, hit all the notes, etc. But he really didn't own the song, and I could tell he wasn't really feeling it.

I disagree with Simon, however, when he said it was a "safe" choice. I think Elliott knows what kinds of songs he sings best. Chris is rock, Taylor is old school adult contemporary soul, and Elliott is neo-soul (like John Legend, D'Angelo, etc). Elliott could probably even pull off a soul/rock combo like Maroon 5's Adam Levine. But Bryan Adams? No way. I think Elliott was trying to reach a broader audience by taking a stab at a singing style he probably knows is not his most comfortable style. So for him, it probably wasn't a "safe" choice, and I respect him for that. But dude, get back to what you do best! Show off that soul in your voice! Hope he makes it to the final 12...

dvm
    Get off the hate train.
    Quote Originally Posted by ballin1 View Post
    I disagree with Simon, however, when he said it was a "safe" choice. I think Elliott knows what kinds of songs he sings best. Chris is rock, Taylor is old school adult contemporary soul, and Elliott is neo-soul (like John Legend, D'Angelo, etc). Elliott could probably even pull off a soul/rock combo like Maroon 5's Adam Levine. But Bryan Adams? No way. I think Elliott was trying to reach a broader audience by taking a stab at a singing style he probably knows is not his most comfortable style. So for him, it probably wasn't a "safe" choice, and I respect him for that. But dude, get back to what you do best! Show off that soul in your voice! Hope he makes it to the final 12...
    FANTASTIC POST!!! What an astute observation. I totally agree. You can tell he wasn't too confident after he performed-- I think he winced after he finished (right before Randy started in).

I also felt like the band was too loud for his voice-- did anyone else catch that?

Regardless, I still think he's terrific and has a huge amount of potential. He's got an amazing raw talent. Definitely the dark horse to watch this year.

+ Reply to Thread