+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Elliott Yamin - Season 5

Amazon rocks. Their review for American Idol Season 5 Encores:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=glance&n=5174

Editorial Reviews

Amazon.com
    This is going to sting, Soul Patrol, but if American Idol Season 5 Encores proves anything, it's that nearly everybody who busted into the top 12 of this year's installment of American Idol carries a tune more convincingly than your man Taylor Hicks. Which is what makes this disc so useful: When you can't see your favorite contestant stumbling around stage aping Michael McDonald or Joe Cocker (or, in the case of Ace Young, George Michael), you really can pay attention to the vocals, some of which--sorry, music snobs--are not at all bad. Paris Bennett's "Midnight Train to Georgia" single-handedly snaps preconceived notions about the show's talent caliber even if you're not familiar with the spunky 17-year-old singing it, and Chris Daughtry's "Wanted Dead or Alive" may not have a lot on Bon Jovi's version, but it showcases his rock-god pipes to maximum benefit (if he hasn't already signed on to lead an up-and-coming modern rock outfit, this should do it). By far the most flagrant example of America messing up what should have been a sure thing arrives on track nine, though: Elliott Yamin's "Moody's Mood For Love" outshines everything around it. Voters who contributed to his dismissal before the finals in favor of takin'-it-to-the-streets Taylor or--worse--mediocre Katharine McPhee will listen with their heads hung in shame. --Tammy La Gorce

FORT Newbie
    Please Lord...let Elliot get some good business advice before he signs anything from anybody.

You guys are scaring me!

19E's already got 2 new American Idol singers that they are putting money behind for album production and promotion. It's already been announced that 19E will put out an album for Taylor and an album for Katherine. I would think that a top, counter-productive priority for 19E/American Idol is that no matter where Elliott lands, his debut cannot be more successful than either Taylorís or Katherineís. Clayís album sales vs. Rubeunís was a complete embarrassment to American Idol. Do you think they would want a repeat of that? It could be even worse because it would be the third place finisher doing better than both the 1st and 2nd place finishers. Even if Elliott outsold only Katherine, it would be considered another embarrassment. If 19E exercises their right to work with him, my guess would be that they would do so only to pacify him and yet still maintain control of the level of success he has. Since Elliottís vocal talent outshines Taylorís and Katherineís IMHO, I would suspect his 19E album would probably contain all the dreck and castoff songs that nobody wants. Elliott would not get half the marketing promotion he deserves. 19E would make a small profit from his hardcore fans, but overall they will have accomplished their main goal of why they produced an Elliott album: to keep him from outselling Katherine or Taylor. And after being released from his 19E contract, he would have to battle extremely hard to get another label to sign him.

I hope with all my soul, there is a lapse in 19Eís judgment, and they cut him loose.

I meant 19E are putting out singles for both Taylor and Kat, not albums.

The rest was just my imagination ranting a conspiracy. I hope none of it will come to pass.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by miadora View Post
    If 19E exercises their right to work with him, my guess would be that they would do so only to pacify him and yet still maintain control of the level of success he has. Since Elliottís vocal talent outshines Taylorís and Katherineís IMHO, I would suspect his 19E album would probably contain all the dreck and castoff songs that nobody wants. Elliott would not get half the marketing promotion he deserves. 19E would make a small profit from his hardcore fans, but overall they will have accomplished their main goal of why they produced an Elliott album: to keep him from outselling Katherine or Taylor. And after being released from his 19E contract, he would have to battle extremely hard to get another label to sign him.
    I think the most likely scenario would be that they'd jerk him around and antagonize him in ways that would pretty much indefinitely postpone his being able to put out an album at all, and *then* dump him or allow him to leave, without having put out any music at all. ... That would probably be even more damaging to his future and would completely, totally remove any possibility at all of his outselling anyone else they've signed.... Elliott's good enough that he might even make dreck sound pretty good, on a studio recording, and I'll bet they know this, so I think they'd be pretty motivated to prevent the emergence of any album at all. This would not be unusual "business" behavior in this industry, I think.

Seriously. I will pay for the lawyer who can keep Elliott from being screwed by a contract with 19Evil. That "evil" is attached to them for a reason. I'm just going to hold out hope that they don't want him.

Although, after he tears the roof off with what has to be a brilliant duet tonight, I don't see why they wouldn't want him.

Shucks. I just depressed myself.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by MotherSister View Post
    Seriously. I will pay for the lawyer who can keep Elliott from being screwed by a contract with 19Evil. That "evil" is attached to them for a reason. I'm just going to hold out hope that they don't want him.

Although, after he tears the roof off with what has to be a brilliant duet tonight, I don't see why they wouldn't want him.
    Seriously, I'll pitch in.

I freaking love this picture!!!!

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Quote Originally Posted by jasminefan View Post
    I freaking love this picture!!!!
    http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j250/mollylala/elliottmary.jpg
    Beautiful picture jasminefan.......that picture says a 1000 words....humble, awed, respectful, blessed and more........that's Elliott......
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

I just wanted to say OMG!! Elliott’s solo on the Luther Vandross song was outstanding. I was worried because his voice has sounded a little fatigued lately. But on the song, he didn’t hold back. And it made me cry... And I am NOT a crier. I am the farthest thing from, but there were definitely a few tears. And I must be a masochist because I re-watched my recording of his performance several times over. The only additional wish I had was wishing that Elliott could have been given more time to riff on the last line of the song several times, like Luther does in his version, I would have been in heaven. But I’ll still take the 20 seconds of heaven Elliott bestowed upon me. I wish E all the success in the world, he deserves it all!
    Last edited by miadora; 05-25-2006 at 05:20 AM.

+ Reply to Thread