+ Reply to Thread
Page 102 of 163 FirstFirst ... 2529293949596979899100101102103104105106107108109110111112152 ... LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 1623
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Elliott Yamin - Season 5

Very nicely put, MotherSister. I'm going to miss seeing our guy on the show, too, and like you said, it would have been over next week anyway. I hadn't quite looked at it that way.

He was truly wonderful to watch and listen to, and I thought he was the star of the show last night. I teared up when I saw how deeply Elliott was affected by the montage of his home visit. And he was smokin' hot during his performances, outshining both the other contestants, IMO.

Well Damn.

First I must confess that this was my first season watching AI from the start and not missing a show. I only tuned in to watch Elliott ~ who is a friend of a friend ~ to see how he fared each week and became hooked .. not on the show but on the singer.

To whoever takes the title next week “good job” but I ask myself of the final three who is the real winner?

Taylor of decent voice already has a cd floating out there somewhere and his penchant for spazin on the stage and gyrating through the audience was at times a real hoot to watch but come on . . how long and far is that gonna take ya – dare I say – in the real world?

I liked Kat in the beginning and thought she’d go far in the competition but . . she just doesn’t have the “it” factor (IMHO) that will take her past the 15 Minutes of Fame allotted to the majority of AI Alumni.

Ahh . . and then there is Elliott ~ an absolute treasure that’s been buried just waiting for someone to discover; a diamond in the rough with a voice of pure platinum. He has that something ~ that magical something that reaches out and grabs you by the throat and heart and doesn’t let go. I get goosebumps thinking what he’ll sound like with just a little proper training and smoothing of the edges and look forward to hearing his work for years to come. Richmonders for the most part lean towards the blasé in dealings with celebrity types ~ there always seems to be movie crews popping up here and there all over town . . currently parts of Evan Almighty are being filmed in the River City . . and I’ve been on hand when a few mucky-muck political bigwiggers have graced us with their presence but never have I seen the crush, the outpour of love and excitement for one individual as I witnessed when Elliott came back to town ~ we’re talkin’ a serious Hallmark moment. And the really, really cool thing is . . that I’m told he is as nice, genuine and gracious as he appears.

33 Million units sold – hmmm . . would love to know how many of those units collectively now reside in a bin at the local thrift store. I have never bought an AI cd, nor do I intend to, however, you betcha I’ll be on the pre-order list for Elliott’s when his is due to come out.

It's not often that I post and didn't feel the need to with Celestique, MotherSister & tdoug saying all that I was thinking, feeling and more ~ thank you!
    Remember ... no matter how hard you work, no matter how right you are ... sometimes the Dragon wins.

They did a great job speaking for us, didn't they Triskele! Watching Elliott this year is what finally got me inspired to start actually posting on the forum instead of always just reading. He's also what got me inspired enough to actually pick up the phone and start voting. I'm glad his hometown is so proud of him!

FORT Fanatic
    In an interview with Elliott today, he made an oblique reference to having made some bad choices when he was younger, something his mom and his friends and family have hinted at as well. It's not entirely clear if he dropped out of high school or was kicked out, for example, and I'm sure we'll soon learn he's had some other problems along the way.

What E showed the past four months though is that he truly has a beautiful soul. The legions of people connected with AI, on and off the record, who say he's the flat-out nicest guy who has ever appeared on the show only underscores that fact. Some lost boys never find their way, some find it on their own, and some need a little help, and AI gave Elliott the helping hand he's needed all his life. I hope he makes the most of it, and I suspect he will.

For all the absolute filth, greed, shallowness, crass manipulations, and falseness associated with the Idol machine, I'll continue watching it if once a season they bring us a goodhearted true amateur with an amazing voice -- a Florida postwoman or a Virginia pharmacy clerk, to name just two -- who needs exactly the help and opportunity that AI offers. Nice guys (and girls) seem to finish third on this show, but sometimes that's just as good as winning.

And yes, if Clive Davis comes anywhere near Elliott, I hope he runs like hell in the other direction.

Quote Originally Posted by kattatude View Post
    They did a great job speaking for us, didn't they Triskele! Watching Elliott this year is what finally got me inspired to start actually posting on the forum instead of always just reading. He's also what got me inspired enough to actually pick up the phone and start voting. I'm glad his hometown is so proud of him!

I joined this site last year but didn't post very much at all untill Elliott came along. He makes me want to tell the world about his greatness, but since I'm not Oprah or somebody like that, this is my only outlet.

I never posted much either but Elliott got me excited too!!

FORT Fogey
    Elliot was my fave from the start. Honestly I dont see how people doubted so much that he would make it as far as he did. This guy has the best voice in this competition! It wasnt suprising at all to me that he made it to the final 3. Im proud of our boy but also dissapointed. I cant figure out for the life of me why people would prefer Kat over Elliot. I like Taylor also but Elliot more but I can see how people can find Taylor endearing. Yes Kat is gorgeous with a lovely voice but I just think "so what" when watching her. She comes a dime a dozen. Elliot though is so unique, so unassuming, so genuine, so talented! Maybe he's just a regular guy with a great voice without a gimmick is the reason why he didnt become the american idol. Although I like Taylor, Elliot can easily outsing him. I cant wait til he records an album. He is the best contestant to have ever come out of this show. Isnt his girlfriend such a lucky woman? What a great guy. His hometown video tape had me in tears. Cant wait to get the AI album so I can listen to Moody's Mood for love over and over and over again. Love you E!
    Last edited by caramelbeauty81; 05-18-2006 at 06:57 PM.

I enjoy FORTplay JayPea Patches's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by caramelbeauty81 View Post
    I like Taylor also but Elliot more but I can see how people can find Taylor endearing. Elliot though is so unique, so unassuming, so genuine, so talented! Maybe he's just a regular guy with a great voice without a gimmick is the reason why he didnt become the american idol. Although I like Taylor, Elliot can easily outsing him. I cant wait til he records an album. He is the best contestant to have ever come out of this show. Isnt his girlfriend such a lucky woman? What a great guy. His hometown video tape had me in tears. Cant wait to get the AI album so I can listen to Moody Mood for love over and over and over again. Love you E!
    I'll second all that ... nice post!

BTW, did you all know that Taylor has a new sponsor?

"An apple a day may keep the doctor at bay" ... but on top of that, an Apple™ consumer won't get any viruses either!!!

You know, I don't even know what I want to say. Year after year I promise myself I won't get sucked in again. I was a Kelly fan all the way in season one, but I've never backed a winner since then.

I'm not going to put Taylor or Katharine down. They both have fans, and they're both talented, but Elliott was so obviously head and shoulders above the rest. I agree with most of what's been said here about him, and I really hope he gets a great record deal, but part of me remembers that today's idols are yesterday's news too quickly. I hope he makes it. He deserves to, not just because he's a nice guy, but because he's awesomely talented.
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

great interview with Elliott..

http://www.vh1.com/news/articles/1
    532080/20060518/index.jhtml?headlines=true

Ousted Elliott Relates To Paula, Says Taylor's High-Strung

Secret to Yamin's 'Idol' makeover: 'All I did was let my hair grow out.'

by Corey Moss

"American Idol" finalist Elliott Yamin (Photo: Ray Mickshaw/ FOX)

As hard as "American Idol" producers tried to make stories out of contestants like Kellie Pickler and Chris Daughtry, by far the story of the fifth season came from a singer who was hardly on camera in the early half of the series. Elliott Yamin, a
    27-year-old Richmond, Virginia, high school dropout who suffers from diabetes and is 90 percent deaf in his right ear, gradually became the biggest underdog in "Idol" history, overcoming his lack of performing experience and superstar looks with a genuine, soulful voice that seemed to improve week after week. Between the tears falling from his own eyes and his smiling mother in the front row, Yamin's narrow elimination Wednesday marked one of the most emotional "Idol" shows (see " 'American Idol' Voters End Elliott Yamin's Finale Hopes").

Q: It's hard to imagine there was a dry eye in the room last night, or in our living rooms for that matter. Why were you so emotional and why do think your story touched so many "Idol" fans?

A: I'm emotional anyways; it kind of runs in my family's blood. And maybe because I'm an underdog. I was the kid who came from nowhere. They know I've beaten a few odds here and there, and they can relate to that. It's real. ... And the fact that I was able to realize my talent and validate my artistry at the same time, it doesn't get any better than that. And I think people respect that.

Q: What was your reaction when you heard less than 1 percent separated each of you?

A: It was so flattering to be attached to such a tight race. I had the intuition that my name would be attached to that 33.08 percent, or whatever it was, the bottom number, and I was prepared for it. So it was easy to grasp. I had made peace with that.

Q: What did you think at the time when Simon said you were potentially the best male vocalist "Idol" has ever had?

A: I was like, "Wow, I can't believe he actually said something that awesome to me." At the same time, a lot of people around the country, media and friends and family, failed to realize he did use that word: potential. I'm the kind of guy who's always thinking there's room to grow and get better, so I loved the fact that he used the word potential. That's a good thing. I'm used to being labeled the kid with a lot of potential, and I feel like I'm reaching for that every day that I live, and I'm getting closer to it.

Q: Why do you think Paula was particularly so upset last night?

A: I think she just loves my voice and likes me as a person. She's just a sweetheart, and she's got a big heart like I do, which is probably why we can relate. And we're both Jewish too. Us Jews, we kind of have a bond at birth.

Q: Simon sounded like he was saying goodbye after your third song on Tuesday. What did you think?

A: He's sounded like he's saying goodbye numerous times, so I've grown quite accustomed to that. No, Simon knows what he's talking about and what America wants. The song I chose was a questionable choice to many. People told me off-camera I might want to reconsider my choice because it wasn't a well-known song, but I love Donny Hathaway. ... The bottom line is, it was my choice and I wouldn't change a thing.

Q: Did you deliberately sing mainly unfamiliar songs throughout the season?

A: I did it because I can relate to being a person coming from relative obscurity myself and having overnight success from the show. I know it's good to sing songs people know and that are modern and that people can relate to and are familiar with, but at the same time, that's what deterred me from picking those types of songs. I wanted to give people a taste of something different, help them fall in love with different songs. And they're just songs I enjoy singing.

Q: How do you feel about how your look changed over the season?

A: I love it. All I did was let my hair grow out, and this is actually the longest my hair has ever been.

Q: What did it mean having your mom with you through this?

A: It made a huge difference. It meant the world to me. When I came out for the Hollywood round, she was quite ill. The last vision I had was saying goodbye to her in the ICU, and she wasn't even coherent. She never knew I was leaving to start this incredible journey. She's been as big an inspiration to me as anyone. ... She's such a trooper. It's great to see her like a kid again. She hasn't been this way in, like, three years, and I think this experience has helped her confidence. She's taking better care of herself, and now she has all these great incentives to stay healthy.

Q: You always came across as so happy. Are you really that happy?

A: Absolutely. Why not? What's there to be upset about? This is the best thing I've ever done in my life, for myself and my family. I've had the time of my life. Why not let it show?

Q: Is Taylor as confident and relaxed as he seems on camera?

A: It's funny. Taylor's a really high-strung dude. He's got a lot of energy and passion. He doesn't seem to relax when he performs, to me. [Yamin laughs.] No, he's been doing what he's done his whole life, which is entertain people. It's easy for him; he's got a lot of experience. Same thing with Kat. Me, I definitely was more nervous. I just don't have that kind of experience. I've learned a lot from them, as far as how to be onstage and how to present my performance. I'm still learning, but they've been great models for that aspect. I have nothing but the utmost respect for both of them. I'm great friends with Taylor. We're going to be friends for life.

Q: And, finally, is Katharine as worried as she seems?

A: We're all perfectionists. She's definitely very mechanical, and that's a good thing. I've taken something away from that too. She just has a godly gift. She's going to go so far.

+ Reply to Thread