+ Reply to Thread
Page 52 of 118 FirstFirst ... 2424344454647484950515253545556575859606162102 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Kellie Pickler - Season 5

FORT Fogey
    I, for one, (or th0usands ) think she is working it. She has the voice and showmanship to make it and she might. I dont' care. I don't like country music, so there is that. She cant win. Someone tell me this is true? Please. She hasnt conjured Jesus yet, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Dogbat View Post
    Please. She hasnt conjured Jesus yet, right?
    Yes, I'm sure she has prayed since she is a christian.
    "So, what is fame? It's lightening that strikes some people. It's lightening that some people seek." Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by angelic_one2002 View Post
    You should not need an 'angle', or need to be 'fake' to get votes on a SINGING talent show. All you need is a beautiful voice that can surpass the rest. If you allow the angles and the fakiness, then you're changing the whole premise of the show into an ACTING show.
    You're only talking about how it SHOULD be, not how it really is.

Inherently, if a show is decided by popular vote, it's nothing but a popularity contest. Mass voting doesn't allow for consistent standards, or even consistent use of logic instead of emotion.

I'm not saying I like it. In fact I hate it. But since the very first season my attitude has been that I'm watching this as much as a cultural experiment as a real contest. And I have to admit that over time the show has occasionally surprised me--at the very least after the fact. I mean I didn't think much of Kelly Clarkson at the end of season 1, but I believe time (and distance from the bad production and career management contracted from Idol) has shown her to be a decent artist. And as much as I hate Clay Aiken, his career also surprises me for even more reason--that in his case it wasn't just that I didn't like him but that I couldn't even comprehend his career being successful. So the show HAS proven to me that I don't know everything. I mean I assumed that Bo Bice might come out with good music, and look what the heck happened with that!

Anyway, back to the topic at hand--Kellie Pickler, and our little secondary topic about whether or not this is a show about singing excellence. It's not. Or at the very least, it only is to the extent that the winner hopefully has both singing talent and marketability, because marketability is what this formula most easily discerns.

If this were a radio show instead of TV, it might have a chance at being more of a "fair" singing contest.

Or alternately, a live TV performance as it is, but one where there are no dumb interviews, clip collections, product pimping commercials using the contestants, "judges" to help spin things but give us no real information, or thousands of outside outlets with news stories, interviews with friends and relatives or AI judges, discussion sites, poll sites, Votefortheworst.com, etc. etc. etc., then there might be a chance people could judge these folks purely by singing. But that's not going to happen, is it? People are going to collect, share and discuss all kinds of impressions and information about these people and only a very small portion of that will be about their singing. And human nature being what it is, if that other information is present in people's brains, a large percentage of those people will use it as part of their process to decide who to vote for. Some consciously, some unconsciously.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Quote Originally Posted by Dogbat View Post
    I, for one, (or th0usands ) think she is working it. She has the voice and showmanship to make it and she might.
    Kellie's performances so far, even the Stevie Wonder one, have always been perfectly on-pitch AND they always show off her personality. She's been consistently great!! Kellie's just a real nice girl living out her dream! And that's her appeal - for those who aren't busily trying to psycho-analyse every move and apology she makes, and the clothes she wears, and the talks she has with Ryan.

Go Kellie!!
    2003-2008.

This is not a show about singing- pop music by it's very nature is about image first and foremost- talent is pretty much secondary (or thirdary lol) i mean, unless you are relatively attractive and thin you don't have a shot in heck in the pop world. It's all about marketing a persona and an image -is the person marketable? That's the bottom line- it's about making money . How else to explain Jessica Simpson? The girl isn't talented-no one would care about her if she wasn't spilling
    out of her tops and making idiotic remarks-sex and stupidity sells. Especially in terms of female performers.
    When a woman who is as physcially big as Reuben Studdard wins the show, then I'll eat my words. But it ain't going to happen. The media and the public won't let it happen. The most beautiful voice in the world could come out of a physically deformed human being and that person would not win AI. Because AI doesn't really care about talent so much as
    marketability.
    " I have a simple outlook-leave every person I meet with a smile on their face."-Donny

And that's very SAD.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

[QUOTE=Muduh;1857138]Well, we certainly each have a right to an opinion, and to totally disagree, which I do.

White trash? Believe me, I know what an act is, and as I said, they all have one, but white trash? I don't think so.

We disagree strongly on whether Kellie can sing or not. I think she's very good, as many others must since she's still there. I don't think that she gets votes because she doesn't know what Calamari is. I think that much of her dumb personna is caused by Ryan, and I wish he'd stop. His comment about the car was uncalled for and just stupid. He's trying too hard for a laugh, at her expense. She is trying to be nice about it in order not to rock the boat. I'd love to know what her opinion is after the show is over.

I can't believe that anyone can't see through Paris' act, either. and as far as the person that you call BUCKET, he is very good and I like him, but just as all the others, he has a act.

QUOTE]

I dont think Kellie white trash, but I do believe she is just that stupid, but playing it up some also, I agree with froggy, Paris is just a young girl being a young girl, I just dont believe that "some" people have been around young girls like Paris, I have, grown up around girls like Paris all my life and most young girls act like that. and there is nothing wrong with the way she acts, polite, gratitude. yes her talking voice makes you want to kick her, but she cant help that. but she is one of the better singers.
    I'll get you my pretty, and your little dog too...

I went to the Southern Ideal Home Show in Raleigh this weekend and there was a winery from Albemarle (Kellie’s hometown) at the show as a vendor. They, of course, had Kellie’s t-shirt up and I was talking to the woman there about the show, Kellie and doubts about Kellie and she said “that’s just the way she is – she’s a real sweet girl – Believe it or not, it’s not an act, it’s just Kellie”.

We talked about the calamari thing and that I didn’t know what calamari was either until a couple of years ago when I moved from a small with calamari on NO menu to Raleigh where it seems it’s on every menu. The lady there said the same thing – she didn’t know about calamari until about 3 years ago – evidently it’s not big in Albemarle either, at least at restaurants where Kellie would be dining. I agree that Kellie might be pouring it on a little thick. I personally love the “I’m sorry’s” because she sounds just like me and so many of my friends. I think “ballsy” was a little over the top but who knows??? I think the producers aren’t helping things with her dumb image but I think she is naive and sweet and a breath of fresh air. Also, I definitely have a southern accent but when I deal with people from other parts of the country, my accent RELLY comes out. I don’t necessarily do it on purpose but you do what you think works and it works pretty well for me. Maybe that’s her thought too and it’s just gone too far. I haven’t been voting for her because I don’t think she’s as talented as some of the others and I probably won’t vote for her unless it comes down to it being between her and Ace because I do enjoy her performances better than what Ace has done so far. I just thought I would post because this is coming from someone who lives in Albemarle, knows Kellie and might be on the Kellie bandwagon just because of that. What she isn’t, is jealous, like some of the posts I’ve read about things said that seem to be from people who “supposedly” know her.

But you see, she CAN help that baby voice, and doesn't. For some reason, she seems to think it's cute, and it just isn't. "Most" people have been around more Paris' than they cared to, and just don't need another one in their face every week. She may be there till the end, but I for one, would be greatly disapponted if that were the case.

It's funny how different things about people irritate some, and not others. For some reason, Paris does not irritate me in the least. I think she can really sing, too. A certain sound of voice (baby-sounding..etc) does not irritate me as much as someone trying to be humorous on a show judging for vocal talent.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

+ Reply to Thread