+ Reply to Thread
Page 46 of 118 FirstFirst ... 36373839404142434445464748495051525354555696 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Kellie Pickler - Season 5

I expected better from Kellie last night. She will have a career in country music with her personality and voice but..she is not Carrie Underwood or an American Idol.

Quote Originally Posted by jmb View Post
    I am having a hard time believing the story about Kelly paying $300 for her haircuts. Does anyone know where young Kelly Pickler, roller skating waitress from Albemarle, NC who lives with her grandparents, would get $300 for a haircut??? The story that she has been a regular customer at Carmen Carmen in Charlotte, NC seems crazy to me. Yes, I realize the story was in the Charlotte Observer, but even if she did have $300 to spend on a haircut, where would the girl (who had never had calamari and who did not know how to pronounce "salmon") even find out about a swanky salon like that???
    Seems strange. Perhaps the salon is looking for some free publicity??
    Not that she looked bad, but if the haircut she started the show with cost her $300, she needs to sue someone.

I wish people would cut Kellie some slack on the "sall-mon" thing. It's a regionalism, and many highly educated people in the southeast pronounce the "l" in "salmon." Just as many educated people in the Pacific northwest pronounce "grown" as a 2-syllable word and people in Brooklyn pronounce "turn" as though it rhymed with "coin."

As for the regular $300 haircut thing, I'll take that with the same grain of salt I keep handy for reading most entertainment media "news" reports. Bill Clinton was widely accused in the press of "getting a $200 haircut on a major airport runway and tying up air traffic," when the haircut actually cost about $50 and the plane was off to the side and not interfering with scheduled flights. That is merely one example of the way the media so often exaggerate and distort things. Maybe Kellie once splurged for a prom or something and that spawned the "urban legend" about her being a regular customer.

Anyway, I think Kellie proved last night that she really can sing and can do it without the beauty-pageant gestures. I think she will be safe for a while.
    But I hate it when contestants take a 5-minute song that tells a whole story and cut out a 90-sec. segment for AI. Telling just part of the story usually doesn't work.
    Dogs have owners. Cats have staff. ;-D

I thought Kellie was great last night. She really committed to the song and turned on the personality. She basically woke me up for the second half.
    Why is it boys talk so much, when they have nothing to say? And girls have plenty to say, but no one will listen?
    --Vada Sultenfuss

Quote Originally Posted by Grisabella View Post
    I wish people would cut Kellie some slack on the "sall-mon" thing. It's a regionalism, and many highly educated people in the southeast pronounce the "l" in "salmon." Just as many educated people in the Pacific northwest pronounce "grown" as a 2-syllable word and people in Brooklyn pronounce "turn" as though it rhymed with "coin."
    Ummm... it had nothing to do with regional accents/mispronunciation. Kellie said last night that she just thought you pronounced the L in salmon. It's nice to give her an excuse, but she's already admitted to just not knowing the word. Simple as that.

I've got many family members in Florida and Louisiana (with a serious, serious cajun accent ) and none of them pronounce it "sall-mon," nor have I heard anyone in that region pronounce it that way. Kellie just plain got it wrong.

Anyway, I think Kellie proved last night that she really can sing and can do it without the beauty-pageant gestures.
    With the minor exception of the misplaced squat and point at the end of the song. The move had nothing to do with the song... and seems to be her move of the moment as she's used it during the last three weeks.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Quote Originally Posted by jmb View Post
    I am having a hard time believing the story about Kelly paying $300 for her haircuts. Does anyone know where young Kelly Pickler, roller skating waitress from Albemarle, NC who lives with her grandparents, would get $300 for a haircut??? The story that she has been a regular customer at Carmen Carmen in Charlotte, NC seems crazy to me. Yes, I realize the story was in the Charlotte Observer, but even if she did have $300 to spend on a haircut, where would the girl (who had never had calamari and who did not know how to pronounce "salmon") even find out about a swanky salon like that???
    Seems strange. Perhaps the salon is looking for some free publicity??
    Why do you have the impression that Kellie is some poor, penniless hick? Why is impossible to believe that Kellie might have money or that her grandparents might have money?

I don't get it.

I think some feel sorry for her and think she has no money..maybe because of the image she portrays. Im with you, Broadway...who's to say this girl doesn't have any money?
    "At the beach, life is different. Time doesn't move hour to hour but mood to moment. We live by the currents, plan by the tides, and follow the sun." - anonymous

Naive and inexperienced doesn't equal poor and destitute.

All I have to say is that 30 seconds into her song and "Antiques Roadshow" looks real good for about 3 minutes. When I switch back to Fox, she's safely standing next to Ryan. I did this last week and this week. Can't hack it,and I have the freedom to change the channel...and I do.

I'm sorry, Kellie fans! That's how I feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway View Post
    Why do you have the impression that Kellie is some poor, penniless hick? Why is impossible to believe that Kellie might have money or that her grandparents might have money?

I don't get it.
    Probably because if she had money, would she be working as a roller skating waitress at the local Sonic? I don't think I would.

+ Reply to Thread