+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 118 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293070 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Kellie Pickler - Season 5

I agree, she is very entertaining. The way she said "Sure" last week made me laugh and the whole " A Minx? What does that mean?" and the "Im a Mink!!" thing just makes me laugh. My sister gets very annoyed with her, but I love it.

I call her Jon Benet Pickler. Too much makeup and too blonde hair.
    fka kickstand

Can Ya Dig It?

I agree, Lolls. I think Simon sometimes favors the cutesy blondes over the REAL talent there. Let's be unbiased here, and get back on track to what this show's all about. It's about the VOICE. She may be cute, but she clearly lacks singing talent on a level above karaoke.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

I'm glad to see more positive posts here. I have always liked Pickler and don't see her as fake.

It's obvious she is not close to being the best singer or gonna win this thing, but she still will do pretty well in the entertainment biz.

someone compared her to Jessica Simpson... I never liked Jessica Simpson or bought into her singing career or that that dumb blonde newlywed nonsense.

She is more like a Hillary Duff teeny bopper type, imo

Go you Minx!

Quote Originally Posted by justCoz View Post
    I see where you are coming from but I don't get the "uneducated and live in traiers" vibe from her. I'm originally from the north, and now more south. I personally don't find her to be uneducated, but rather inexperienced, and that is what I find charming. She doesn't seem incapable of learning, and I've run across plenty of those people in my life. I posted in the 3/7 thread that I think it's partially due to growing up with her grandfather. That can really cause a gap in what people experience while growing up.
    I'm in complete agreement, justCoz. I guess I shouldn't have come into this thread. It doesn't bother me to see people say that they don't like to hear Kelly sing. Though an adequate and consistent country singer, she's definitely not the best in the competition, in my opinion. However, the other comments about how "real" she is are fairly disturbing.

Her accent? She's from rural North Carolina. Its real.

Her life experience? Once again, she's from the rural south and was raised by her grandfather. That's probably not an act. Besides, I consider myself fairly intelligent and worldly and didn't know calamari existed until I watched Mrs. Doubtfire (I think that's what Pierce Brosnan choked on).

Yes, there are other contestants from the South that don't act nearly as silly as Kellie. Well, most of those contestants are older and from more urban areas. They've had more life experiences and are able to show a more mainstream representation of themselves to the public. My own accent was once as thick as Kellie's. When I ended up in sales, I had to learn to drop it or pick it back up as I needed, depending on who I was talking to. I was fortunate enough to have parents that had lived elsewhere (including abroad) before I was born so I wasn't as sheltered as Bucky or Kellie. I learned that to be accepted by a lot of the outside world, sometimes you have to blend in. I think its sad that they are expected to lose their cultural identity so that people will think they are "real". Not everyone from the South is like Kellie, but there are plenty who are.

Do I think the show is exploiting those cultural differences for entertainment value? Yes, but that's to be expected. They like to find a girl that they can squeeze into their dumb, blonde, southern girl role every year just as they like to fill the single mom from the streets role or the young, geeky, grandmas-love-him role. I don't mind that, really, as its all part of the show and people know that going in. It's too bad that viewers end up resenting them for the roles they are assigned.

I knew a lot of girls like Kellie when I was growing up and even more guys like Bucky. They were a joy to be around, honestly. That type of personality is always excited about life and the world and thrilled with any opportunities afforded them. I think that the world could use a few more Buckys and Kellies. It's a refreshing change from the jaded cynicism we often see.

Does anyone really think Kelly would have brought up the salmon she ate if Ryan wasn't there trying to make the monkey dance? I'm certainly glad that I wasn't on stage at 19 having someone more savvy than I point to my ignorance so that the audience could all have a hearty laugh. Kellie is fair game being on a show like this and I think that its brave of her and Bucky to keep being themselves despite the criticism of the elitists out there.
    Last edited by Stargazer; 03-09-2006 at 11:34 AM.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

I don't see Kellie as fake in fact she is about a real as you get .!

I wonder how far that innocent cutesie southern "hick style will take her...but one never knows....Dolly Parton made and still makes alot of money with it! (lol)

Loved that post, Star. I agree with everything that you said.Kellie isn't my choice to win, but I don't see that any good comes from trying to trash the poor girl.

Personally, I think she is adorable and I doubt her personality is an act. Unfortunately, if she wins, that naiveity and unworldliness will probably disappear. Right now, she is fresh and sweet and I enjoy her.

Quote Originally Posted by LiVvV View Post
    All along I thought AMerican Idol is a singing competition, just last night I realized AMerican Idol is a casting show for "I'm as dumb as Jessica Simpson show".
    That's exactly what I thought this show was all about. SINGING. I'm surprised she's made it this far, and I don't think it's at all because of her vocal abilities.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

Excellent post star. I agree completely. As for her vocals, we may see that improve if she sticks around. Do I think she will or even should win? No, I really don't. But I think given time, and training she will be really good.

+ Reply to Thread