+ Reply to Thread
Page 55 of 145 FirstFirst ... 5454647484950515253545556575859606162636465105 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Katharine McPhee - Season 5

Quote Originally Posted by cabernetCally View Post
    If legitimate she is not the ONLY contestant guilty of this..Paris has done the same. I would consider it an amatuer and fixable trait.
    Yeah, it's fixable. However, I'd hate to think that the reason someone can "feel" a song is because he/she was told the trade secrets about how to make me think that they feel the song, not because they genuinely do. Because if they really did feel the song, I could see it in their eyes, on their face, their whole body language. Someone can be told "try to look sad" and they might on the outside but the eyes will give it away every time if they can't muster the emotion necessary to really identify with a song.

Part of the problem is they're all singing someone else's songs. Maybe once Katherine or Paris write something of their own, happy or sad, they'll be able to convey that song better because it will be coming from a different place. But that's a long way off for both of them. For now they should try a bit harder to get into the lyrics and identify with them as opposed to trying to mimic a non-existent sentiment or worse yet, convey something completely inappropriate.
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

Quote Originally Posted by MsFroggy View Post
    Part of the problem is they're all singing someone else's songs. Maybe once Katherine or Paris write something of their own, happy or sad, they'll be able to convey that song better because it will be coming from a different place. .

MOST singers do not write their own music!

But you have to have more time to work with a song week and you also have professional people in the business helping pick new songs that work for you and your voice like Carrie had along with arrangers and mixers. They got the best and the result is triple platenum! She received the same criticism last year.

I think it also helps to know you do not have to face a judgeing panel of idiots immediately following the song..even Mandy Moore recently said she could nto do what they do each night and has alot of respect for them.

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MsFroggy View Post
    Yeah, it's fixable. However, I'd hate to think that the reason someone can "feel" a song is because he/she was told the trade secrets about how to make me think that they feel the song, not because they genuinely do.
    It's entirely possible it's the way she was trained. Much as I love Kat she often reminds me of a beauty queen contestant. Although I love the sultry look it is more often than not a calculated expression. Same thing with the smile.

I believe it is 'fixable'. She just needs to be deprogrammed.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

FORT Fogey
    If legitimate she is not the ONLY contestant guilty of this..Paris has done the same. I would consider it an amatuer and fixable trait.
    I totally agree about Paris. I think Paris is extremely hit or miss when it comes to actually expressing the lyrics. Once in a while she does, but mostly she seems to be singing something and showing something on her face that has nothing to do with the song at hand -- Queen night and love song night were big examples, for me. ... She sang Memories as if she had no idea what the song was about. (Now, if Katherine had sung it, perhaps she would just have sung it as "Mammaries," and then it would have been quite appropriate .. No.. I won't go there.)

Anyway, yeah, I think that both Katherine and Paris make this mistake, and we won't even talk about Kellie.

In Paris's case, I chalk it up to youth and hope she'll grow out of it. I think the same of Katherine, except that Katherin *is* a bit older, *and* has a lot better chance to win this show, and, by her age, ought to actually *have* the right emotions to put on her face if she actually wants to sing these dramatic songs. So, unlike Paris whom I expect to see go home and back to high school pretty soon now, I think she'd better figure it all out right quick ... I do think that she has a choice -- either stop with the smiling, or just choose less angsty, dramatic songs and specialize in being a warm, jazzy upbeat performer. She could go either way and make me happy, but right now she's straddling the fence in a way that I find unfortunate ... and I think the judges do, too.

I love Katherine's voice, adn I'm impressed with her musicianship, usually, too.

here's the thing about Kat-she's a good pop singer, no one is going to accuse her of being tone deaf. A few bum notes, sure, but that's to be expected. She's a nervous wreck just like anyone else would be. The one thing that keeps coming up with her detractors though is her inability to convey in a genuine way, the emotional impact of the song. This isn't sour grapes, it's a legitimate point. - so maybe there is some small kernal of truth to the complaint that she is stiff, robotic and pre programmed. For me, it's destracting and takes away from her overall performance. More important than whether or not someones technique is flawless or polished is how well can I feel what they are singing? If Katherine could just unwind and allow herself to come out from underneath the beauty pagent exterior, she'd do well. She's so uncomfortable and unsure about what she should be expressing or not expressing that it comes across as clunky, awkard innappropriate and overly rehearsed. Instead of thinking "how should I convey this emotion" she needs to just allow herself to feel the lyrics. Feeling over thinking works sometimes. I believe thats what the judges meant in their initial judgement- that she didn't know how to handle the emotional impact of the song- she allowed herself to be swallowed up, unlike Whitney Houston, who had the ability to be so open and vunerable in the handling of the song.
    Last edited by redsox girl; 04-27-2006 at 05:45 PM.
    We're all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. Oscar Wilde

I don't think any of us know if Whitney was born with that ability or whether she able to develop it prior to becoming a Susperstar when she became observable to the general public.

Once again Kat is being compared to a polished longtime professional singer who has been recorded, digitally mastered music and mega time with consultants. As Nigel said...not fair.

If you dislike any contestant you do not have to justify it to anyone. Although I certainly know I do not know any of these contestants well enough to hate them for any reason other than may they threaten our favorites chances of winning. Nor do we have the credentials to make a professional opinion other than our personal taste. Unless you feel you need to convince yourself.

I think Taylor and Elliott a very nice guys who I find their singing entertaining but I get a totally different vibe ( if you want to call it that) from Chris (yummy) I love the tone of his voice and I could care less if he is bald so that means alot because I only like a few bald guys and he could sing the phone book and I would like it.

KAt I just find enchanting, she has actually had more vocal training than any other contestant as Simon said whch does put her in a class all her own. The work from a producer standpoint she will need to develop into a star will be much different ( possibly simplier) than for the others.

I certainly will support any of the final 4 that I feel are worthy..Chris, Kat, Taylor or Elliott winning if that is the case. Paris..I just do not feel is in that category. Maybe in a few more years yes!
    Last edited by cabernetCally; 04-27-2006 at 06:06 PM.

FORT Newbie
    I don't think any of us know if Whitney was born with that ability or whether she able to develop it prior to becoming a Susperstar when she became observable to the general public.
    I gotta disagree. I knew the very first time I heard "You Give Good Love" from her very first album that she had pipes of gold. To me, you either have the tone or you don't. You can teach technique, and to a certain degree you can expand your range. But you're natural tone and "ear" is something you gotta be born with.

Quote Originally Posted by ballin1 View Post
    I gotta disagree. I knew the very first time I heard "You Give Good Love" from her very first album that she had pipes of gold. To me, you either have the tone or you don't. You can teach technique, and to a certain degree you can expand your range. But you're natural tone and "ear" is something you gotta be born with.
    Well Kat definitely has excellent tone I thought the discussion was about stage presence which I personally think she does have but a lot of others disagree with me on that, even some of her fans.
    "So, what is fame? It's lightening that strikes some people. It's lightening that some people seek." Jewel

Her stage presence is in and out. Sometimes she comes across as a little too rehearsed, sometimes a little too smiley-giggly-camera-loving. But sometimes she gets it right, and you can tell she's just letting the lyrics dictate her expressions. She can emote naturally (see parts of "Come Rain or Come Shine"), but sometimes she gets caught up in thinking about it too much, so she looks very contrived (see "I Have Nothing"). Yes, Paris is the same. It is a thing that seasoning can fix -- once the novelty of performing on a stage or in front of cameras has worn off a little, and she's not thinking so much about how she looks, then the problem will take care of itself.

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by MotherSister View Post
    Her stage presence is in and out. Sometimes she comes across as a little too rehearsed, sometimes a little too smiley-giggly-camera-loving. But sometimes she gets it right, and you can tell she's just letting the lyrics dictate her expressions. She can emote naturally (see parts of "Come Rain or Come Shine"), but sometimes she gets caught up in thinking about it too much, so she looks very contrived (see "I Have Nothing"). Yes, Paris is the same. It is a thing that seasoning can fix -- once the novelty of performing on a stage or in front of cameras has worn off a little, and she's not thinking so much about how she looks, then the problem will take care of itself.
    It's called "inexperience". These are basically amatuers. Funny how it seems that the ones that are praised for connecting to the viewers (Chris/Taylor) are the ones that have the most "experience". Years in some cases. This is something that will be learned as they progress and can't be rushed for a 12 week TV show. Just look at how much better Kelly C. & Carrie U. are today compared to when they were on the show.

+ Reply to Thread