+ Reply to Thread
Page 54 of 145 FirstFirst ... 4444546474849505152535455565758596061626364104 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Katharine McPhee - Season 5

WELL said, Unklescott. I agree. This show is so far off-track from what it should be - a VOCAL competition.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

Quote Originally Posted by cabernetCally View Post
    Alot of Southern California celebrities has dabbled in Scientology and abandoned it later IF she did so what. She can be what she wants to be as an adult. When she starts jumping on couches and kidnapping men for their baby making material or lecturing others on drugs and trying to convert others ..then and only then I will have an opinion on it.

Yeah, if she is a Scientologist (who knows?) it doesn't automatically mean she's Tom-Cruise-crazy.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    I`m sure they had their "critiques" already layed out before Katharine even sang.
    How else would one try to explain the totally wrong but unison tenor of their remarks.
    For me it`s another example of a cheap AI stunt being caught.
    I didn't *quite* agree with their comments. However, I think they were probably groping toward a quite accurate criticism of Katherine that is the one thing that really bugs me about her, too -- inappropriate smiling. ...

Yes, she has a beautiful voice and she generally sings correctly and she's quite musical and does a very very nice job in that way with songs...

BUt when you're sitting and watching a performance of songs that tell sad stories, bitter stories, angry stories, heroic stories, wistful stories, and so on, as we've done with Katherine, it's pretty jarring to some people to see the identical happy I-love-ya-audience smile come busting out on her face in every single song. And often at a place in the lyrics where smiling makes, like, zero sense.

I think that this is why Randy said the song was too "big" for her ... i.e., it demanded you present it with raw emoitions showing that aren't emotions that Katherine will show when she sings. ...

and why Paula said that Katherine should, in essence, choose lower-key, happier songs - less dramatic songs -- because it's in those pretty, somewhat lighter songs that her "money" is, ... and so on ...

I think maybe they don't want to say -- Cut the smiling! because they figure nogbody would understand what they meant, and people would say, Why shouldn't this pretty girl and beautiful singer smile?... so they're groping around for some way to make this criticism in a way that it will be give her a positive direction to go.

But think about it -- intense, top singers *never* smile and give the audience I-love-you-and-you-love-me glances the way Katherine does when she sings. They stay in a little bubble of drama while they're singing, and then, when the song is over, you can see them open that bubble and smile at the audience. ...

If she wants to sing high-drama songs, she has to do that too -- at least if she's going to perform on stage and not just record -- and if she wants to go on being the pleasant, smile-at-the-audience performer, she just needs to pick non-drama songs ... She really can't do both if she's going to be a stage performer, and right now she's being a stage performer.

I think what they mean when they say "not as good as Whitney" is that, by and large, most singers that we look at as true stars over the years have specialized in the high-drama kind of singing a *lot* -- ...

I do think that it probably can be just as good to be a happy, less angsty vocal performer -- lots of people like somebody who puts ovr the melody beautifully without acting out emotional stories -- but the fact is that right now I can't think of too many of that ilk who actually have made it to the top.... You don't see Bocelli handing out smiles the way Katherine does, or Judy Garland, or Christine Aguilera, etc. ...

Quote Originally Posted by MotherSister View Post

Yeah, if she is a Scientologist (who knows?) it doesn't automatically mean she's Tom-Cruise-crazy.
    It may not make her crazy as that freak-show Tom Cruise, but it certainly does affect my opinion. She sings well, she's beautiful, but if a person knows anything about Scientology and still considers it a valid religion, as opposed to a weird cult, then my opinion of them would be lowered. Just like I can't take not only TomKat, but Jenna Elfmann, Kirstie Alley or John Travolta seriously anymore. Thetans? Xenu? A volcano? L.Ron Hubbard?! I mean, really.....

That said, I have seen no mention of her beliefs and so I make no judgements. But last year, once I learned about Constantine's belief in Go Go Giddle and the Partridge family, I thought he was a little crazy. And after that came out, he was out the next week. Just sayin'.
    fka kickstand

Can Ya Dig It?

Leo
    Premium Member
    Is there actually any factual basis for all this Scientology speculation? Is there a news story with a quote from a named source (not an anonymous one) that says out-and-out that Kat is (or was) a Scientologist?

Frankly, this sounds like a piece of baseless gossip that is worth crap.

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by natashapierre View Post
    I didn't *quite* agree with their comments. However, I think they were probably groping toward a quite accurate criticism of Katherine that is the one thing that really bugs me about her, too -- inappropriate smiling. ...
    Amongst the world of criticism leveled at this sweet girl I think this is the one that has merit.

If the lyrics are conveying something painful or sad NEVER turn to the camera and smile.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolls View Post
    It may not make her crazy as that freak-show Tom Cruise, but it certainly does affect my opinion. She sings well, she's beautiful, but if a person knows anything about Scientology and still considers it a valid religion, as opposed to a weird cult, then my opinion of them would be lowered. Just like I can't take not only TomKat, but Jenna Elfmann, Kirstie Alley or John Travolta seriously anymore. Thetans? Xenu? A volcano? L.Ron Hubbard?! I mean, really.....

That said, I have seen no mention of her beliefs and so I make no judgements. But last year, once I learned about Constantine's belief in Go Go Giddle and the Partridge family, I thought he was a little crazy. And after that came out, he was out the next week. Just sayin'.
    Those that were not fans of her to begin with will not likely change their opinion with this information. I still love her for her work ( singing) just as I did loved Tom's I just don't care for him personally NOW. I have always loved John, Kelly, Jenna and more and will continue until they give me reason to not.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David View Post
    Amongst the world of criticism leveled at this sweet girl I think this is the one that has merit.

If the lyrics are conveying something painful or sad NEVER turn to the camera and smile.
    If legitimate she is not the ONLY contestant guilty of this..Paris has done the same. I would consider it an amatuer and fixable trait.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    Is there actually any factual basis for all this Scientology speculation? Is there a news story with a quote from a named source (not an anonymous one) that says out-and-out that Kat is (or was) a Scientologist?

Yea. That tabloid named Star or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post

This is rather interesting:
    http://www.truthaboutscientology.com...ne-mcphee.html

The good news though is that the 2 courses could very well have been the same day, and thus supporting the notion that someone tried to rope her in and she shrugged it off. The estimate of December 2005 places her in the post-audition, pre-live show period, right?

This speculation has apparently been floating around for more than a month elsewhere on the net. There's also a "Gabby McPhee" on the same Celebrity Magazine (the official magazine of Scientology's Celebrity Centre apparently--their little specialty center which exists to ensnare famous people) course list.

So it's not baseless gossip, in the sense that this information is reasonably easy to check. Star Magazine claims to have done some checking which in part suggests its true, but did some interviews which suggest that if it WAS her she's not any kind of real participant (although while the fact checking about her Scientology listing is easy for us to do ourselves, it's the interview with the anonymous friend which casts doubt on things which can't be verified by us):

http://www.starmagazine.com/news/61961

The way these courses are apparently marketed and run, it's possible she didn't even know it was a Scientology course until she'd been through almost the whole thing. There are tons of reports on the net (even one I recalll from a FORTer on another thread here) about how the Scientologists try and cloak their purpose by advertising what they do as some kind of "Stress Test" and the course as a free evaluation.

So no, having read more and thought about it I doubt she's a Scientologist, just one of the many people they try to ensnare on a regular basis. But if she had been? Yes, it would have changed my mind about her, despite not having to do directly with her singing. In general I DO see this as almost entirely a singing contest and don't subscribe to the cult of personality aspect. But speaking of "cults", that's exactly what Scientology is. It's NOT religion. Not even remotely. The more you check into it, the more obvious this becomes. Go look at Wikipedia's many entries on it for some facts if you doubt it and don't want to rely solely on the debunking sites like truthaboutscientolgy.com. The Wiki page about the Space Opera related beliefs is a hoot, just as one example.

But back to Katherine. Maybe we can talk about her wardrobe malfunction (panty slip) instead. Not to mention the McTwins.
    Last edited by Krom; 04-27-2006 at 11:09 AM.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

+ Reply to Thread