+ Reply to Thread
Page 52 of 145 FirstFirst ... 2424344454647484950515253545556575859606162102 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Katharine McPhee - Season 5

Yes but the writer (David Foster) seemed ok with her performance and that is the ultimate compliment IMO.

I will admit when I heard she was singing it I though..gutsy move KAT I hope you do well...and I thought she really did. The judges act like Whitney OWNS the song...well for gosh sakes lets see a list of the songs they consider taboo then cuz Bab's Streisand OWNS the one Paris sang.

Probably 50% of the viewing audience ( young people ) do not even associate that song with Whitney and what they know of her from reading the tabloids is that she is a crack head.

I just don't get it.....their comments were rude! Randy even said he had some doubts at first , ( stammered) I don't know but it was a good choice, but then acted like if he said he approved he would be fired.??? very suspicious if you ask me. Paula was on her lips so it did not matter..she hates all the women anyway, and I'm getting sick of the if you can't say anything nice comment on their dress BS!! Simon was back to his old grouchy self ( maybe he and Paula got their drink glasses switched.).
    Last edited by cabernetCally; 04-26-2006 at 05:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MotherSister View Post
    There's a difference between a song being well-known and a song being a signature of some other artist. "I Have Nothing" will always have Whitney's face on it, in part because she performs it so gorgeously, and in part because of how big a star Whitney was when she recorded it, and how much more her name skyrocketed because of it. That doesn't mean no one else can ever sing it, but they should be ready for comparisons if they ever try.

ooh, excellent way to describe it
    " I have a simple outlook-leave every person I meet with a smile on their face."-Donny

Quote Originally Posted by cabernetCally View Post
    I just don't get it.....their comments were rude! Randy even said he had some doubts at first , ( stammered) I don't know but it was a good choice, but then acted like if he said he approved he would be fired.??? very suspicious if you ask me. Paula was on her lips so it did not matter..she hates all the women anyway, and I'm getting sick of the if you can't say anything nice comment on their dress BS!! Simon was back to his old grouchy self ( maybe he and Paula got their drink glasses switched.).
    I have a suspension that they know the voting totals and know who's in danger and who's not. I think they would like a final three of Kat, Chris & Taylor and are pimping and criticizing in order to throw votes where they believe they are needed (that doesn't mean that they have that amount of influence but I believe they think they do). Hey, it's my theory and I'm sticking with it
    "So, what is fame? It's lightening that strikes some people. It's lightening that some people seek." Jewel

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Ancient City View Post
    I am not a huge Kat fan - having said that, I had her performance last night rated her best ever. I enjoy her most when she stands at the mic and belts it out. This BS of the judges saying you can't sing a song by _________ (insert famous artist here) without bringing on a comparison is so bogus. 99% of the songs performed are well-known. Rate the idol's performance on pitch and quality, enjoyment factor, memorability, etc., not on how it compares or manages to distance itself from the original.
    Thats true but see Katherine just sang the song very badly. It wasnt enjoyable, and it wasnt memorable. I dont believe a contestant cant try to pull of a song from one of the greats (whitney, mariah, celine,etc) because when Kelly Clarkson sang I cant live without you (which mariah wasnt the orignial singer but I think people still associate that song more with mariah, at least this generation) and she sang it just as good. I downloaded Kellys version of Queen of the night by Whitney Houston and I was just floored. That girl can sing! Katherine is not even close to that. Trenyce in season 3 I think tried to do Whitney and was better than Kat. Kat has a lovely voice but she needs to stay in her range. No matter how much u like Kat, it was just such a bad choice for her. Elliot has the best voice in the competition not Kat and as much as she can be annoying, Paris does have a better voice than Kat. Paris always gets the most praise from the celebrities they work with (queen, david foster, stevie wonder etc) and I dont even like Paris but I can admit she's a great singer. Katherine is all around more appealing because of her looks but I doubt if people heard them both on the radio without ever seeing them that people would say Kat is a better singer than Paris.
    Last edited by caramelbeauty81; 04-26-2006 at 06:39 PM.

The judges act like Whitney OWNS the song...well for gosh sakes lets see a list of the songs they consider taboo then cuz Bab's Streisand OWNS the one Paris sang.
    Yeah, why are Whitney songs too "big" for anyone to sing but then they do a whole week with everyone singing Freddy Mercury?
    And Randy, why are you comparing the live performance of someone with 1 week of rehearsal to a Grade-A studio recording of an artist who had weeks or months to learn it, record it, and have the mix tweaked and produced?

That said, I think Kat's arrangement was still too much a copy cat of Whitney's. Where is it written that the song has to build to a top-of-your lungs belting demonstration?

Quote Originally Posted by caramelbeauty81 View Post
    Katherine is all around more appealing because of her looks but I doubt if people heard them both on the radio without ever seeing them that people would say Kat is a better singer than Paris.
    I like Paris but I wouldn't care if Kat looked like Elliot I'd still think she was the better singer and I've heard both of them played on the radio and my preference wasn't changed.
    "So, what is fame? It's lightening that strikes some people. It's lightening that some people seek." Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy in SD View Post
    Yeah, why are Whitney songs too "big" for anyone to sing but then they do a whole week with everyone singing Freddy Mercury?
    And Randy, why are you comparing the live performance of someone with 1 week of rehearsal to a Grade-A studio recording of an artist who had weeks or months to learn it, record it, and have the mix tweaked and produced?
    If it's any consolation to folks here, apparently Producer Nigel agrees with us and not Randy. I just listened to some radio interview he did today (on tvweek.com) saying exactly that. He pretty much called Randy a boob and said that it's kind of inequitable to compare some performers with the original performers and not others. He also stated that in his opinion its idiotic to put any song "off limits" the way Randy pompously declared Whitney's songs. This isn't about judging Whitney, it's about judging an amateur.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandy in SD View Post

That said, I think Kat's arrangement was still too much a copy cat of Whitney's. Where is it written that the song has to build to a top-of-your lungs belting demonstration?
    Considering the arrangement was done by the song writer, your complaints should be forwarded to Mr. David Foster.

Quote Originally Posted by Krom View Post
    If it's any consolation to folks here, apparently Producer Nigel agrees with us and not Randy. I just listened to some radio interview he did today (on tvweek.com) saying exactly that. He pretty much called Randy a boob and said that it's kind of inequitable to compare some performers with the original performers and not others. He also stated that in his opinion its idiotic to put any song "off limits" the way Randy pompously declared Whitney's songs. This isn't about judging Whitney, it's about judging an amateur.
    Thank you Nigel!!!! I was waiting for Randy to say "I worked with Whitney! "
    Seems like he has to many associations with people in the idustry to really be objective at times with out disrespecting one of his homies, dudes ( or whatever he is calling them today)....!!!

Seems like he has to many associations with people in the industry to really be objective at times...
    Thats a good point.

+ Reply to Thread