+ Reply to Thread
Page 104 of 145 FirstFirst ... 454949596979899100101102103104105106107108109110111112113114 ... LastLast
Results 1,031 to 1,040 of 1446
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Katharine McPhee - Season 5

Quote Originally Posted by Remus Lupin View Post
    Bocelli may be blind but he's still a guy. I'm sure he's had many people describe to him in detail what Katharine looks like. Would he have been as interested in her if she merely had the voice but not the looks? It will be interesting to see what she sings for those concerts.
    I also wondered WHAT she would sing. She does a great job on OTR, but how many time can she sing that on any one show? Were any of her other performances worthy of being heard? I know that that depends on whom you ask, but I'm just wondering.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by happybanana View Post
    Apparently her sales rank for yesterday and today is none. Does this mean that nobody has been buying her single? That's pretty weird. There must be a reasonable explanation...
    They seem to do that particular ranking on a day-to-day basis, and "none" seems to mean -- "didn't sell any today". ... For some reason, that doesn't seem too surprising to me for any cd, actually! ... And singles don't sell all that well, even in the best of cases, compared to albums. And since nobody's heard the new song here except in that awful version at the finale ...

That said, she's back up to 37 today, so there was just a two-day lull there I guess. ... I doubt that shaving 50 cents off the already teensy price made any difference!

Quote Originally Posted by Muduh View Post
    I also wondered WHAT she would sing. She does a great job on OTR, but how many time can she sing that on any one show? Were any of her other performances worthy of being heard? I know that that depends on whom you ask, but I'm just wondering.
    Agree, on every appearance she's been singing SOTR, enough already. She hasn't sung My Destiny once, like it or not, it'll be on her single.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by graycat11 View Post
    Agree, on every appearance she's been singing SOTR, enough already. She hasn't sung My Destiny once, like it or not, it'll be on her single.
    Plus, there's Think, from the compilation album. It's not the greatest song for her, but it's also a performance-oriented song, which I'd think might work well on tv shows, and usually they want to pimp the stuff that's on the compilation recording. So they really have two other obvious options, but she doesn't seem to have sung either of them thus far. ...

I would think they'd be rotating her from song to song a little bit before they give the impression that there's actually only one song that she can sing. They obviously never mind giving that impression about the people who finished *lower* than second place, since they only have one song that's actually for sale. But it seems to me we've heard a little more variety from the top two, usually, since they actually have three songs for sale. As I recall, last year Bo sang all three of his thus-far recorded songs, plus some other stuff, too, by this juncture.

Quote Originally Posted by Remus Lupin View Post
    Bocelli may be blind but he's still a guy. I'm sure he's had many people describe to him in detail what Katharine looks like. Would he have been as interested in her if she merely had the voice but not the looks? It will be interesting to see what she sings for those concerts.
    Probably "The Prayer." This mismatch reminds me of the time Pavarotti sang with Vanessa Williams. I think Bocelli was a bit enamored with Kat. Plus, it certainly won't hurt him - he will be famous forever. And it may bring a more diverse crowd to his concerts. A nice draw for those who typically wouldn't listen or haven't been introduced to classical music.

Quote Originally Posted by happybanana View Post
    Apparently her sales rank for yesterday and today is none. Does this mean that nobody has been buying her single? That's pretty weird. There must be a reasonable explanation...
    She is still ranked, just check the Top Sellers for music. All I know is that once they dropped the price, she shot up more than 30 spots in the rankings. Before that, she was falling every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David View Post
    Barry Manilow was smitten by her capabilities and I'm pretty sure he isn't swayed by her looks.
    Actually, Barry was much more impressed with Taylor (and Mandisa). "One of the great voices I've ever heard..." to quote him word for word. Maybe you saw another interview with Barry because on AI, the only thing he said was that Kat should imagine singing to someone.

I also, think "My Destiny" is pretty catchy - I liked it better than DIMYP the first time I heard it. I still think it is a better song overall, but Taylor just does a better job with DIMYP, in studio and live.
    Last edited by Sharrhys; 06-09-2006 at 05:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharrhys
    I also, think "My Destiny" is pretty catchy - I liked it better than DIMYP the first time I heard it. I still think it is a better song overall, but Taylor just does a better job with DIMYP, in studio and live.
    Really? How does Taylor ranks against Kat's studio version...when hers hasn't been released? Wow, friends in high places? Do spoil us who are dying to hear it all.

Quote Originally Posted by random_thotz View Post
    Really? How does Taylor ranks against Kat's studio version...when hers hasn't been released? Wow, friends in high places? Do spoil us who are dying to hear it all.
    I'll correct myself by clarifying - he is better live and I think he will be better in studio because of his unique timbre. I think he has a better recording voice based on that alone.

No, I haven't heard the studio version, though I heard it is a half step higher than when she sang it at the finale.
    Last edited by ShrinkingViolet; 06-10-2006 at 12:09 AM.

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharrhys View Post
    Maybe you saw another interview with Barry because on AI, the only thing he said was that Kat should imagine singing to someone.
    Being an old fart I'm not sure enough of my memory to attempt to recall exactly what people said weeks ago, but it doesn't matter. I was making a joke about not having to be distracted by Kat's looks in order to think she has talent. The fact is, I think it's insulting to suggest that an artist of Signore Bocelli's caliber would sully his concert with an incompetent singer just because he found her attractive. My guess is Signore Bocelli is quite capable of getting a date without resorting to that particular subterfuge. Further, I doubt Signore Bocelli invited Kat to sing with him because his career needs a boost. I think he enjoys more than his share of fame.

I have no problem imagining what Kat will sing with Signore Bocelli. I recall the duet she sang with him during the rehearsals. They sounded great together, as I recall, and her Italian was excellent. I replayed it several times wishing they'd show more of it.

Regarding Mr. Manilow... I haven't actually spoken to him so I'm not certain exactly who he prefers among the contestants, but even with my bad memory I'm pretty sure he thought she had talent.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

I have no problem imagining what Kat will sing with Signore Bocelli. I recall the duet she sang with him during the rehearsals. They sounded great together, as I recall, and her Italian was excellent. I replayed it several times wishing they'd show more of it.
    It was amazing, judging from the reactions from the audience.

She sang Somos Novios (the Christina/Bocelli duet) and the Prayer which brought down the house.
    Last edited by Mantenna; 06-11-2006 at 02:14 AM. Reason: Offering downloading links

+ Reply to Thread