+ Reply to Thread
Page 103 of 145 FirstFirst ... 35393949596979899100101102103104105106107108109110111112113 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,030 of 1446
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Katharine McPhee - Season 5

http://news.yahoo.com/s/eo/20060607/en_music_eo/19207

RCA Catches McPheeverBy Natalie Finn Wed Jun 7, 1:21 AM ET

Second place is looking a lot like first for Katharine McPhee.
    The 22-year-old American Idol runner-up inked her first record contract Tuesday, a partnership with Clive Davis' RCA Records in association with 19 Recordings Unlimited, the label managed by Idol creator Simon Fuller.
    Idol champ Taylor Hicks signed a similar deal last week. The Alabama native's first single, the gospel-tinged "Do I Make You Proud," hits stores June 13 and on Tuesday was number 10 on Amazon.com's top sellers list.

The Idol-tailored single McPhee performed on the show, "My Destiny," is being released June 27 coupled with "Over the Rainbow," the song that Simon Cowell deemed the "most perfect song in the world" for her. Her two on-camera renditions of the Wizard of Oz favorite were singled out as being perhaps the best single vocal performances--by anyone--of the season.

Taking her second-place finish in stride, McPhee told reporters after the finale that she harbored no hard feelings. "It would really just be silly to feel bad for me at this point," she said. "I got a record deal, a new car, and I have all these great fans and wonderful people in my life." True, the grass is always greener when you're whizzing by in your brand new Mustang.

While the California girl was planning to kick back and relax the week after the show ended, she's back on task now rehearsing for the American Idols Live 2006 tour, which kicks off July 5 and has just been extended by three weeks and 15 cities.

But what should we expect from McPhee when she finally gets to spend a little alone time in the studio? "My first task is going to be to sit down with her and see what her vision is for herself," Arista founder Davis told People. "She is a pop singer. There is no question. Our task will be to find hits for her that fit her like a glove and can be hits on today's radio. That is the challenge and the task that lies in front of us."

And after that? McPhee told TVGuide.com that she wouldn't mind taking a cue from another certain long-haired beauty. " Julia Roberts is a wonderful person and someone I'd like to model my career after, even though she's not a singer," she said. "I definitely want to do movies. I know it's a cliche that every singer wants to be an actress and every actress wants to be a singer, but these are the things that I want, and we'll see how they play out."

McPheever is already taking the classical world by storm.

Andrea Bocelli, who lent his expertise to Idol earlier this season, has invited McPhee to be a guest singer this week at his concerts in Los Angeles, Sacramento and San Jose.

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    However, the voting process is (within reason) clean.
    I would hardly call them 'clean', but they are in fact how the winner is chosen. Personally, I don't like the Idol model. I'm more a fan of the Dancing with the Stars format. Limited voting per phone. It is, however, doubtful 19E will change the format for Idol. They love hearing Seacrest saying those big numbers every night.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharrhys View Post
    I'd have to say that Reality TV in general is filled with all kinds of chicanery in the forms of positioning, special editing, selective disclosures, contestant selections and the like.
    I can't think of a better word to describe what goes on in the production of Reality TV. EVERY show does it, and will continue to do it. After all, this is entertainment NOT reality. If the producers think they can keep people tuning in each week by diverting the action in a given direction they will do everything they can to 'influence' the direction of the show. That is not to say they are directing the outcome, but a well placed nudge of a moving object can geatly impact it's final destination.

And finally...

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post
    Andrea Bocelli, who lent his expertise to Idol earlier this season, has invited McPhee to be a guest singer this week at his concerts in Los Angeles, Sacramento and San Jose.
    For all of the 'experts' who have espoused the belief that Kat is a flawed vocalist... I'll defer to Signore Bocelli's expertise if you don't mind.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/eo/20060607/en_music_eo/19207
    RCA Catches McPheever

By Natalie Finn Wed Jun 7, 3:57 PM ET

Second place is looking a lot like first for Katharine McPhee.

The 22-year-old American Idol runner-up inked her first record contract Tuesday, a partnership with Clive Davis' RCA Records in association with 19 Recordings Limited, the label managed by Idol creator Simon Fuller.

Idol champ Taylor Hicks signed a similar deal last week. The Alabama native's first single, the gospel-tinged "Do I Make You Proud," hits stores June 13 and on Tuesday was number 10 on Amazon.com's top sellers list.

The Idol-tailored single McPhee performed on the show, "My Destiny," is being released June 27 coupled with "Over the Rainbow," the song that Simon Cowell deemed the "most perfect song in the world" for her. Her two on-camera renditions of the Wizard of Oz favorite were singled out as being perhaps the best single vocal performances--by anyone--of the season.

Taking her second-place finish in stride, McPhee told reporters after the finale that she harbored no hard feelings.

"It would really just be silly to feel bad for me at this point," she said. "I got a record deal, a new car and I have all these great fans and wonderful people in my life." True, the grass is always greener when you're whizzing by in your brand new Mustang.

While the California girl was planning to kick back and relax the week after the show ended, she's back on task now rehearsing for the American Idols Live 2006 tour, which kicks off July 5 and has just been extended by three weeks and 15 cities.

But what should we expect from McPhee when she finally gets to spend a little alone time in the studio?

"My first task is going to be to sit down with her and see what her vision is for herself," Arista founder Davis told People. "She is a pop singer. There is no question. Our task will be to find hits for her that fit her like a glove and that can be hits on today's radio. That is the challenge and the task that lies in front of us."

And after that? McPhee told TVGuide.com that she wouldn't mind taking a cue from another certain long-haired beauty.

"Julia Roberts is a wonderful person and someone I'd like to model my career after, even though she's not a singer," she said. "I definitely want to do movies. I know it's a cliché that every singer wants to be an actress and every actress wants to be a singer, but these are the things that I want, and we'll see how they play out."

McPheever is already taking the classical world by storm.
    Andrea Bocelli, who lent his expertise to Idol earlier this season, has invited McPhee to be a guest singer this week at his concerts in Los Angeles, Sacramento and San Jose

FORT Fogey
    I don't think I've seen this before. Katharine's single has been marked down at Amazon -- it''s selling for $2.98 now, while Taylor's is still going for $3.49 ...

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David View Post
    For all of the 'experts' who have espoused the belief that Kat is a flawed vocalist... I'll defer to Signore Bocelli's expertise if you don't mind.
    Bocelli may be blind but he's still a guy. I'm sure he's had many people describe to him in detail what Katharine looks like. Would he have been as interested in her if she merely had the voice but not the looks? It will be interesting to see what she sings for those concerts.

in banana world
    Quote Originally Posted by natashapierre View Post
    I don't think I've seen this before. Katharine's single has been marked down at Amazon -- it''s selling for $2.98 now, while Taylor's is still going for $3.49 ...
    Apparently her sales rank for yesterday and today is none. Does this mean that nobody has been buying her single? That's pretty weird. There must be a reasonable explanation...

Quote Originally Posted by Remus Lupin View Post
    Would he have been as interested in her if she merely had the voice but not the looks?
    Barry Manilow was smitten by her capabilities and I'm pretty sure he isn't swayed by her looks.

Quote Originally Posted by happybanana View Post
    There must be a reasonable explanation...
    How about... THE SONG SUCKS! I wouldn't buy it no matter who sang it.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Quote Originally Posted by happybanana View Post
    Apparently her sales rank for yesterday and today is none. Does this mean that nobody has been buying her single? That's pretty weird. There must be a reasonable explanation...
    Amazon's been having a problem. Check the list.

Uncle David, I just heard a 5 sec. clip, and the cheese actually sounds quite nice and is catchy.

Whatever you do, if you see Kat's mom's CD... don't listen to it.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David View Post
    Barry Manilow was smitten by her capabilities and I'm pretty sure he isn't swayed by her looks.
    She does have a nice voice but Barry also recognized her tendency to not connect with what she is singing.

Btw, I think he was way more smitten by Mandisa's singing; she was the one he invited to work with him.

+ Reply to Thread