+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 41 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Bucky Covington - Season 5

Pointing someone out as a rube is hardly a Northern to Southern thing, and I don't think there's any way you can prove it's some kind of isolated attack. How many times have we all seen jokes about Canadians in that vein, especially the ways their speech differs? Or someone from Idaho. Or people from Maine and the whole "ya can't get heyah from they-yah" thing? Or the millions of souls in places people deem "ghettos"--which may occasionally get some cool points in this rap-age, but also bear other more negative natural assumptions.

Bucky doesn't seem like a dumb guy at all. But Kellie does. It doesn't have much to do with where she's from--she just is.

Bucky might be a bit style challenged, but that's hardly the sweeping and unfair indictment that assuming he's dumb is.

He's also a bit trapped in certain elements of his local culture which don't always translate that well to the whole nation. Again... not dumb. But it's a valid criticism if you are trying to build a nationwide star. Carrie Underwood was a bit of a country mouse too, but something about her obviously transcended her origin. Certainly it could happen again.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

FORT Fogey
    I love Bucky, but honestly he has no chance to win this competition. He will be out within 3 weeks.

I'm no country music fan, but I really like Bucky. I hope he at the very least makes the tour, because I'd just like to see him get that opportunity.
    Always looking for cat treats!

Breathe out, so I can breathe you in...

Reminds me of a younger Alan Jackson!!! cute deep country voice!

FORT Fogey
    I don't think Bucky has any chance to win this either -- but I'd like to see him tour. I called his number tonight and got a busy single half the time, so, apparently there are others out there who would like to keep him in too.

I was actually surprised at Bucky. He had a solid performance last night. Kudos to him!
    "Nothing ever comes to one, that is worth having, except as a result of hard work."--Booker T. Washington, 1901

I thought he'd have a hard time tonight and was pleasantly surprised.
    Dream no small dreams for they have no power to move the hearts of men - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Krom View Post
    He's also a bit trapped in certain elements of his local culture which don't always translate that well to the whole nation. Again... not dumb. But it's a valid criticism if you are trying to build a nationwide star. Carrie Underwood was a bit of a country mouse too, but something about her obviously transcended her origin. Certainly it could happen again.
    I don't think Bucky will be transcending anything. He's a karaoke style southern rocker and he's going to stay that way. I don't think he has anything going for him that would induce me to spend a dime on any future music he'll make. I still haven't bought any Kelly Clarkson, for heaven's sake, even though she makes passable music and is the best Idol to come out of this show. Bucky is not going to be the next American Idol, IMO.
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

Bucky did great job with Superstition but he should strangle that hair stylist. What in the world was that stylist thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by MsFroggy View Post
    Bucky is not going to be the next American Idol, IMO.
    There aren't very many people who think he is (or should be) but there are a lot of people who think he should stick around for a few more weeks. I'm glad Bucky did well this week and I hope Melissa or Kevin go home. I'd be thrilled if Bucky made it out of the bottom 3 (Kellie or Lisa could take his place - or even Ace but I'm not holding my breath).

+ Reply to Thread