+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Kelly Clarkson

FORT Fanatic

Re: Kelly Clarkson

I know the Because of You duet with Reba was mentioned here, just wanted to say for all of those who like Kelly and like a bit of country, the Crossroads special on CMT with Reba and Kelly is pretty good. Other than Kelly's Because of You, they do a number of Reba songs too... all very good.

This is a review from Ken Barnes. He writes the Idol Chatter Blog for USA Today. This is one of the worst reviews I think I have ever read for any album. But the interesting thing is that it is followed by 6 pages of readers comments. Some agree, some heartily disagree, some think Kelly has lost her mind, some think the reviewer is the one that is bonkers. I think it all comes down to the fact that this is either a love it or hate it album & there aren't going to be many left on the fence. Regardless, I still see it selling big for the first few weeks then it is going to be up to radio acceptance. All of the prognostications are too close to call for the #1 album this week between Kelly & Hannah Montana, both are expected to sell 300-325k.

Sympathy for the mogul: Kelly's new album track by track - Idol Chatter - USATODAY.com

This is from one a NASCAR related web site.
    http://www.racetrackladies.com/Edito...-02-2007ED.htm
    Kelly Clarkson Where Are You?
    Submitted by Lady B
    July 2, 2007

Bank in January when we were making our final plans for our annual Daytona Speedweeks trip we read the press release about Kelly Clarkson, the first winner of American Idol. Seems that Kelly had just inked a big deal (read that...mega money) with NASCAR. It was touted as the "the largest and most comprehensive deal NASCAR has ever forged with an artist". Now I like Kelly Clarkson and I love to watch American Idol but I'm a bigger fan of NASCAR. Other than a pre-race here and there I couldn't see how this was going to be so special to NASCAR and the fans.

In Daytona Kelly performed before the Daytona 500. It was awful. The sound was horrible, she looked bad and it was one of the worst pre-race shows I'd ever seen at a race. Yep, I was very disappointed. I was very excited to see her but after her song set...in which she screamed the lyrics the whole time....I was just glad she was done. But everyone can have an off day and besides, NASCAR spent a lot of money on this artist so I was sure there was a whole lot more to come.

But I was wrong.

There was one commercial for the NASCAR Foundation. Even that was horrible. She sounded like a country hick...now, I live in Texas and I have an accent....but with the firesuit pulled down around the hips that needed no extra padding and Kelly proudly proclaiming you could purchase your NASCAR Day pin for just "five bucks", well....she did nothing to improve the image of a true NASCAR fan.

A new CD that has been panned, a cancelled tour and a fired manager...things are not looking good for Kelly to begin with but what about all the money that has been spent on this hyped collaboration with NASCAR? We have a horrible performance at the Daytona 500 and a commercial that makes me cringe and......and....anyone....anyo ne....oh, that's right, NOTHING! If there is something else going on with NASCAR and Kelly Clarkson the fans haven't seen it. How much money did NASCAR pay for what they've received so far? Granted she is going to perform at the awards banquet at the end of the season but really, after what we've seen so far this season how excited is everyone to see that performance? I think I'd rather see the people hanging off the scarves on the rafters again.

Things just can't get better for Kelly, can they?

Well, here's some good news: razorbacker posted an article above my post, saying the race to #1 on the charts was between Kelly and Hannah Montana. I was at a local Target, and they had Kelly and Hannah's cds next to each other. There was a lot of Hannah Montana cds still left, but there was nearly no Kelly cds.

It's just one store, but it's good enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by CrossingGuard;2457980;
    Things just can't get better for Kelly, can they?

Well, here's some good news: razorbacker posted an article above my post, saying the race to #1 on the charts was between Kelly and Hannah Montana. I was at a local Target, and they had Kelly and Hannah's cds next to each other. There was a lot of Hannah Montana cds still left, but there was nearly no Kelly cds.

It's just one store, but it's good enough for me.
    I reckon that could be good for Kelly, but on the other hand maybe they were selling a bunch of Hannah Montana & had just restocked the shelves. It is going to be an interesting week to see how it all comes out, but the latest prognostication I saw had Hannah winning out.

By the way Unklescott, I saw that prerace concert that was mentioned in your post & I knew I couldn't be the only one that thought it was awful.

For those that haven't seen it, Kelly recently did an interview where she said she was already at work on her next album & it is going to lean more to the Country & Blues side of the musical spectrum. Hmmm....

I just found this blurb. Sorry I don't have a link for it so if it has to be deleted it's ok by me. But, it lends some credence to Kelly & her next album leaning toward Country/Blues.

NARVEL THE MARVEL: Kelly Clarkson has a new manager, as Narvel Blackstock officially takes the reins of the high-profile artist’s career on the day before My December makes its chart debut. The news substantiates I.B. Bad’s revelation last week that Blackstock was one of two leading candidates to succeed Jeff Kwatinetz (see 6/29 item below). The manager husband of Reba McEntire, Blackstock is the founder and head of Nashville-based Starstruck Entertainment. (7/2p)

For better or for worse, the Rolling Stone has decided to weigh in on the subject.

Rolling Stone: » Is Kelly Clarkson The New Carrie Underwood?

______________________________ __________
    7/2/07, 4:43 pm EST
    Is Kelly Clarkson The New Carrie Underwood?
    June was disastrous for Kelly Clarkson. By the end of the month, the first-ever American Idol champ was enthralled in a feud with her label boss, Clive Davis, her summer tour got cancelled due to poor ticket sales, she had her manager fired and her new album leaked. She became a black sheep faster than you can say “Katherine McPhee.” Things got so bad, she considered a performance cameo on the American Idol season six arena tour just to right the ship.
    Thankfully, July has arrived, and with it, a new management team. Nashville-based Starstruck Entertainment has taken the reigns to help guide Clarkson out of her career limbo, and it doesn’t take a conspiracy theorist to guess which path they’ll steer her toward …
    Clarkson recently admitted her desire to record a new album that was “country meets blues meets rock.” Let’s put the emphasis on “country,” as the evidence is irrefutable. One look at Starstruck’s galaxy of stars reveals the company manages an all-star lineup of country artists, from Toby Keith to Martina McBride to Jon Bon Jovi, who seems like he’ll serve as the blueprint for Clarkson as she segues from pop star to cowgirl.
    Reba McEntire, a fellow Starstruck client, likely is the catalyst for Clarkson’s recent genre shift, and the roots for this transformation stem back to when Clarkson guest-starred on McEntire’s sitcom, Reba. More recently, the duo performed together on CMT’s Crossroads program and sang Clarkson’s “Because of You” on an upcoming McEntire duets album. Further proof that McEntire is practically adopting Clarkson: McEntire’s husband, Narvel Blackstock, owns Starstruck Entertainment, and will serve as Clarkson’s manager.
    So what’s fueling Clarkson’s country loving? While she is a Texas girl at heart, she has always displayed a preference toward rock & roll’s angst. But with the megasuccess of Carrie Underwood, who is giving Clarkson a run for the Most Successful Idol title, Clarkson may be rethinking her career trajectory and plotting to aim her efforts toward the portion of the population that voted her to Idol gold in the first place: Middle America (which could also explain her work with NASCAR).
    Clarkson’s decision to hire management in Nashville as opposed to Los Angeles best suits these plans. So Underwood better watch her back, because Clarkson is coming to retake the throne.
    -- Daniel Kreps

lei
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;2459104;
    ....So what’s fueling Clarkson’s country loving? While she is a Texas girl at heart, she has always displayed a preference toward rock & roll’s angst. But with the megasuccess of Carrie Underwood, who is giving Clarkson a run for the Most Successful Idol title, Clarkson may be rethinking her career trajectory and plotting to aim her efforts toward the portion of the population that voted her to Idol gold in the first place: Middle America....
    -- Daniel Kreps
    I don't know how accurate this speculation is, but I have a personal distaste about artists changing their path just to be more popular. If it's her personal preference to try another path, that's one thing, but otherwise it cries "sell-out".

In any case I'm sorry she's been having such a challenging time. While her music isn't exactly my thing, I really like what I know of her, and her voice is absolutely incredible. I wish her success, and artistic integrity.

It looks as though the battle for #1 went to Miley Cyrus, Kelly's sales were 291,000 and Miley's close to 326,000. I hope to have the full list soon.

FORT Fanatic

ouch. but hopefully kelly's final first week sales will be over 300k. but ouch again to losing out to miss hannah montana miley cyrus. i guess pre-teens and disney is a power. jordin and her people...DISNEY...but will never happen since disney is ABC. oh well.

but back to kelly, just release the best radio friendly song that is on her album (what the hell did they think when releasing never again) and that might help sales a lot. it just takes one or two radio friendly song(s) to generate big sales.

and to the country route. since she has proclaimed her affinity to rock but also said she likes country. and her new BFF is reba and their duet remake of "because of you" is a hit. it'll be interesting. hopefully she doesnt abandon rock and just go country but do rock with a tinge of country in it. something like bon jovi's latest. still lotta rock with country thrown in.

but hopefully its a good album and she's happy with it. good luck to her.
    not my frickin fault. fine, my fault, i always get blamed anyways.

+ Reply to Thread