+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Kelly Clarkson

FORT Fanatic

Re: Kelly Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by graycat11;2445627;
    Some fans can be very fickle, they'll support their artist if the music is good.

and from the clips i heard, not so good at all. hopefully, whole songs may make a difference but usually for me, if i hear something that catches me it'll interest me in searching/finding out about the song and singer. then i'll go out and buy it. but from what i heard so far, thankfully never again stunk and i no longer hear it on the radio. also, not interested in anything, didnt grab me, didnt make me excited, didnt make me look forward in purchasing it.

theres always a next time, hopefully she'll bounce back.
    not my frickin fault. fine, my fault, i always get blamed anyways.

MTV is letting fans listen to her CD on what they call "the Leak" before it's on the shelves. By the way, it's totally legal.

Listen here: The Leak

While I was listening to her cd, I really wanted to like her songs. I tried. My December is definitely no comparison to Breakaway. Breakaway was full of fast, upbeat songs, but My December is full of slow tracks. "Never Again" is probably the best song on there, and that's not exactly a good thing since the song is dropping on the charts, and if "Never Again" is the best song, then her other songs probably won't do well on the charts. I like "Sober" though. Actually no, I really like "Sober." It takes a few listens though. Here's my take on all of the songs:

1. Never Again: (look above)
    2. One Minute: I hated this song when I first listened to it. But after listening to it about 5 times, I now think it's okay.
    3. Hole: Like "One Minute", I started to like it after a few listens.
    4. Sober: I'm suspecting this is her next single since it's on her MySpace page, which is pretty good news to me since "Sober" is one of the better songs.
    5. Don't Waste Your Time: This is an okay song.
    6. Judas: Ehhh... don't really like it.
    7. Haunted: I'm not a fan of the beginning of this song, but later on, it's pretty good.
    8. Be Still: Not my favorite, but I don't hate it.
    9. Maybe: Again, not my favorite, but I don't hate it.
    10. How I Feel: I think song could be a hit. It's a good one.
    11. Yeah: Another okay one. The part that kinda ruins it is the middle where she sings in a whisper.
    12. Can I Have a Kiss: Not a fan of this song.
    13. Irvine: I like it, even though it is a bit gloomy.

(Remember to listen to her album before time runs out and her album isn't on the Leak anymore. )

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;2445725;
    It tastes like ashes in my mouth a bit that Clive Davis is "winning" in this little battle of wills. That old vampire needs SOMEONE to take his @ss down. Maybe Kelly isn't properly equipped, but SOMEONE.
    To be fair to Clive, maybe and I say maybe he was right about her songs on this cd. We'll have to wait and see. If the songs are good, the singing, this cd will sell no matter when it is released. Delaying the release shouldn't hurt an artist if it's good. Good is good.

Quote Originally Posted by graycat11;2446481;
    To be fair to Clive, maybe and I say maybe he was right about her songs on this cd. We'll have to wait and see. If the songs are good, the singing, this cd will sell no matter when it is released. Delaying the release shouldn't hurt an artist if it's good. Good is good.
    I think whether or not the songs are good that this CD will sell big out of the gates. The songs are definitely going to determine longevity however, & that is when the proof will be in the pudding. Since Sober is already the second single, there is a lot riding on this release. I wish Kelly all the luck in the world, because as I said before she has set herself up to be thoroughly run through by the press & critics if this album isn't good.

Quote Originally Posted by graycat11;2446481;
    To be fair to Clive, maybe and I say maybe he was right about her songs on this cd. We'll have to wait and see.
    I posted a link to "the Leak" on my post above. "The Leak" is part of mtv.com, and it lets people listen to an artist's cd before it's in stores. You can listen to it there.

Urban Renewal - a new era BuckeyeAddict's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by graycat11;2445627;
    Some fans can be very fickle, they'll support their artist if the music is good.

I don't understand this comment. There are artists and bands I really really like, but sometimes they cut an album or have some songs that just don't float my boat. I love (loved?) Journey, Paul McCartney and others but I don't have all their albums. I hate to say this, but I just loved Elliott Yamin last year, and please forgive me, but I don't care for the songs on his CD. Kelly's Thankful has a great song or two, and Breakaway is one of my (and my husband's) favorite albums ever. We love Kelly, and wanted to see her this summer. I'm not sure we'll be buying My December, though. Am I a fickle fan? Should I applaud everything my favorite artists do, regardless of the quality (as I perceive it) of their songs?

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeAddict;2447374;
    I don't understand this comment. There are artists and bands I really really like, but sometimes they cut an album or have some songs that just don't float my boat. I love (loved?) Journey, Paul McCartney and others but I don't have all their albums. I hate to say this, but I just loved Elliott Yamin last year, and please forgive me, but I don't care for the songs on his CD. Kelly's Thankful has a great song or two, and Breakaway is one of my (and my husband's) favorite albums ever. We love Kelly, and wanted to see her this summer. I'm not sure we'll be buying My December, though. Am I a fickle fan? Should I applaud everything my favorite artists do, regardless of the quality (as I perceive it) of their songs?
    Some fans don't support a new artist for very long, some do. I feel the same way as you do, just because I love someone's voice, singing doesn't mean I'll buy everything they have out. Doesn't mean I think everything they sing is great.

Elliott's cd wasn't that good, it was okay, like you I didn't care for some of the songs, to me they sounded all alike. My sisters also felt the same way. He should've had more variety on the cd.
    Last edited by graycat11; 06-21-2007 at 12:09 PM.

Boy you talk about somebody that seems to be snake bit & can’t catch a break, it would have to be Kelly.

Kelly Clarkson -- Desperate to Breakaway - TMZ.com

Kelly Clarkson -- Desperate to Breakaway
    Posted Jun 21st 2007 10:15AM by TMZ Staff
    Filed under: Wacky and Weird
    Kelly Clarkson just can't catch a frickin' break these days.

The singer, who just canceled her concert tour over low ticket sales, had the misfortune of getting locked out of her car last night just as she was engulfed by a paparazzi storm. Damn childproof locks!

After dining with Reba McEntire at Koi -- where the country legend announced the two will be performing a duet together on an upcoming album -- Little Miss Clarkson retreated to her SUV ... well, she tried to. With the keys not working on the passenger door, photogs began bombarding Clarkson with questions about her plagued album and scrapped tour -- the original "American Idol" became very visibly uncomfortable.

Desperate to get the hell out of there, Clarkson booked it for the open driver's side door and crawled over into the passenger side. As the frustration mounted, Clarkson let out an expletive, followed by a recovery, "love you!" to all her fans. Moments later, her driver finally whisked her away.

There's also a rumor going around that she's been offered to perform at this year's AI's concerts. Don't know how true this is just yet. I hope she doesn't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;2443139;
    The Press is already getting ugly. If this album isn't good Kelly may be flayed by the critics.

FOXNews.com - FOX 411: Kelly Clarkson: 'My December' Trouble - Celebrity Gossip | Entertainment News | Arts And Entertainment
    I just read this interview a few minutes ago. Well, I glanced at it. Courtney Love? Kelly Clarkson is definitely not going that route. Mark my words.

But I did find this review by Slant Magazine. And it's a good one:

Kelly Clarkson
    My December
    by Sal Cinquemani
    Posted: June 14, 2007

n response to rumors that label boss Clive Davis didn't want to release My December because he deemed it too "negative" and reportedly offered her $10 million to scrap some of the songs, Kelly Clarkson told Entertainment Weekly: "It's not Metallica." Hell, it's not even Evanescence. The press about the album, not to mention fans' hysterical, hypercritical reaction to its lead single, "Never Again," which is a slightly harder, slightly less immediate version of almost every song on Breakaway, would have us believe that My December is some radical departure for Clarkson, but it's really just a logical progression—if not exactly a refinement—of the fingerless-gloved rock-chick persona the singer has created for herself in the years since her crowning as the premier American Idol.

Complicating matters, of course, is the fact that Clarkson cancelled her arena tour due to poor ticket sales and ditched her manager just two weeks before the album's release (which will only fuel rumors of internal turmoil surrounding the project), and "Never Again" is under-performing on the charts—as if anything that followed the monster smash that was Breakaway could have lived up to that album's of-the-moment success. The single is being quickly followed-up with the even slower-burning ballad "Sober." But who cares about hits—or appeasing the kids—when the songs are this good? "Irvine" is like Radiohead's "Exit Music (For A Film)" as performed by Sheryl Crow, a hauntingly personal account of post-performance despondency that likely gave Clive pause: "Why can't you just take me?/I don't have much to go/Before I fade completely." It's not so much the letter-to-God lyrics but the disturbing way America's girl-next-door sings them that will raise eyebrows.

Like Breakaway, My December's rockers have a tendency to sound same-y, with hushed cautionary intros and lower-register verses followed by full-voiced hooks and dramatic, belted bridges, all in the name of heartbreak and revenge. With "Since U Been Gone" and "Behind These Hazel Eyes," Clarkson was only playing dress up. This time someone's really broken her heart and, with a hand in writing every song on the album, she's making sure several million people know about it: "I hope the ring you gave to her turns her finger green," goes the seething opening line to "Never Again." Simon Cowell and others in the media have pointed out that Clarkson isn't your sexy, slim-waisted pop star, and it's this fact that has made her so accessible to her largely young, female fanbase and it's also what gives her contemptuous references to "trophy wives" (on two different songs) the kind of authenticity only an artist as proudly "average" as Clarkson could.

Though My December cuts much of the adult contemporary-style balladry that marred her first two releases (but also displayed more than just her shouting vocal range), the album still finds Clarkson further exploring different facets of her voice, which is capable of much more than just cookie-cutter pop/rock: she injects a little funk swagger into the brassy "Yeah" and offers up some acoustic soul on the hidden track "Chivas." And for those with the misinformed idea that My December isn't mainstream enough, there's plenty of pop to be found in songs like "How I Feel" and "Can I Have A Kiss." Clarkson, however, sounds most at home on guitar-driven garage-pop like "Hole," and the greatest artists have taught by example that if you follow your instincts, the fans will usually follow. After all, this is a girl who tellingly chose to sing Madonna's "Express Yourself"—as opposed to, say, "I Will Always Love You"—at her American Idol audition.
    Link

Then I found this interview she did on AIM. It made me laugh. She said she was working on her next album, and she said, "...it's kind of country meets blues meets rock." I don't know when this interview was done, but I'm guessing it was done before she cancelled her tour. Oh, and sorry if the blue and red hurts your eyes. That's the way the interview was done.

BrendanInMusic: hey hey
    KellysDecember07: hello
    BrendanInMusic: thanks for chatting today. where are you IMing from?
    KellysDecember07: from my home in texas
    BrendanInMusic: very nice, must be nice to be home!
    BrendanInMusic: you've been pretty busy lately
    KellysDecember07: it is very nice to be home, i love it here
    KellysDecember07: i love your icon picture
    KellysDecember07: haha, it's funny
    BrendanInMusic: hehe thanks.. I'm told it looks JUST LIKE ME
    KellysDecember07: right on, then you're adorable, haha
    BrendanInMusic: and single... we can chat about that one after
    KellysDecember07: hahaha
    KellysDecember07: nice
    BrendanInMusic: so you've been doing lots of TV, press, etc lately... is there anything that you still get excited about or nervous doing?
    KellysDecember07: um ...i get excited about a lot of things but never nervous
    KellysDecember07: like i love doing Ellen, Leno, Jimmy Kimmel
    KellysDecember07: fun shows
    BrendanInMusic: what do you consider like the ultimate "it" for guesting
    KellysDecember07: i think Ellen because i love her show so much, she is hilarious and always super cool to me and to everyone that works with me
    BrendanInMusic: awesome
    KellysDecember07: she probably has the most fun on her show
    BrendanInMusic: i can imagine...get to show off all your dancing skills
    KellysDecember07: hahaha, yes
    BrendanInMusic: Did you find much relaxation and fun time in between the tour and making the album?
    KellysDecember07: yeah, i always make sure i'm having a bit of fun or else it's not worth it
    KellysDecember07: i mean, i want to see the places i'm actually getting to travel to
    BrendanInMusic: do you have a favorite so far?
    KellysDecember07: a favorite place to visit?? i love boston
    BrendanInMusic: that's an interesting fav place, but a good one
    KellysDecember07: i love the people and the city is beautiful. i don't know, every time i go there i have a great time
    BrendanInMusic: so when did you start the process for 'My December'?
    KellysDecember07: a little over 2 years ago
    KellysDecember07: i wrote the album everywhere ...scottland, uk, texas, L.A ..everywhere
    BrendanInMusic: Did you feel very stressed going into the project after the massive success you've had in the last few years?
    KellysDecember07: no, i had so much to say that i was feeling very creative, haha
    KellysDecember07: we ended up with way too many songs
    BrendanInMusic: i suppose that's better than not enough
    BrendanInMusic: what will happen with all of the extra songs??
    KellysDecember07: started with around 60, then 26, now 14 for the album
    KellysDecember07: we'll use them for b-sides and international stuff and other albums i guess
    BrendanInMusic: Did you go into the studio with any type of plan or mission for the album?
    BrendanInMusic: sound wise or other
    KellysDecember07: not really a plan, no
    KellysDecember07: just recorded all of our favorites and wanted to make sure we were focusing on the music rather than being SO concerned with trying to make everything mainstream
    BrendanInMusic: if you had to name the "sound" of the album, what would you call it?
    KellysDecember07: there's a little bit of everything sound wise ...singer/songwriter stuff, rock/pop stuff, some soulful songs
    BrendanInMusic: You've also been involved in a few country performances lately, not too long ago with Reba and a little while back with the Rascal Flatts... is a country album something you'd want to do or just something fun to dabble in?
    KellysDecember07: oh lord, haha, i have no idea
    BrendanInMusic: just good music?
    KellysDecember07: i'm actually already working on my next project right now, and it's kind of country meets blues meets rock
    KellysDecember07: it's awesome, i'm having a lot of fun on it
    KellysDecember07: i love country music
    BrendanInMusic: wow, thats pretty ambitious! already another new project before this one is out, haha
    KellysDecember07: it's fun and sweet and the melodies are usually killer
    KellysDecember07: haha, yes i'm always working on the next thing. some might say it's a sickness, but i just love writing
    BrendanInMusic: all the work seems to be paying off
    BrendanInMusic: the last time we talked to you was the day of Grammy nominations (and btw congrats!!)
    BrendanInMusic: what did winning them mean to you?
    KellysDecember07: thanks! winning them made me feel like all my hard work was paying off, which is a pretty awesome feeling
    KellysDecember07: it's always nice to be recognized for what you do obviously
    KellysDecember07: the 10 year-old me was kicking myself that night, it was very cool
    BrendanInMusic: in an old interview from Idol, you said that one of your ultimate goals would be to perform at an awards show like the grammys
    KellysDecember07: yes i did, and also when i wrote 'because of you' i knew one day i would sing it on the grammy's ...i don't know how i knew but i just did, and when it actually happened i flipped out
    BrendanInMusic: now that you've done that and won a few... what's your next life goal?
    KellysDecember07: my goal is to be happy...a simple goal but a hard one sometimes with this crazy world, haha
    KellysDecember07: i want to be happy with my music, and my relationships and life
    KellysDecember07: life's too short to settle for less
    BrendanInMusic: definitely...so your look and sound has evolved quite a bit since you started out
    BrendanInMusic: is where you are now the place you've been working towards or was it just more of a natural evolution?
    KellysDecember07: i'd say natural revolution ...i love both of my previous albums but you can tell that with each album I'm in a different place ...and i should be because i'm obviously growing and changing...coming out with the same album and sound would be boring for me and my fans
    BrendanInMusic: So what are your fans in store for this time around with 'My December'?
    KellysDecember07: well the album as a whole is about surviving things you thought you never would, and actually taking the time to catch your breath and enjoy life
    KellysDecember07: it's a little more rock, a lot more raw and blunt, and it's all me
    BrendanInMusic: right now people are calling you the Alanis Morissette of 2007...
    KellysDecember07: hahahahaha, i'm not that good,
    KellysDecember07: but thank you to whoever's saying that
    KellysDecember07: the first single definitely has that alanis touch but as for the rest of the album, it doesn't
    BrendanInMusic: Do you have any favorite songs you like to perform live? (a couple years later... 'addicted' is still one of my favorite songs of all time)
    KellysDecember07: oh i love that you like that song, it's one of my favorite songs i've ever written!!
    BrendanInMusic: very awesome, hope to hear it when you come around
    KellysDecember07: i love performing 'walk away' and i think off this new record i'm gonna love performing 'never again' and 'hole' and 'how i feel'
    BrendanInMusic: awesome.. can't wait to hear them!
    BrendanInMusic: we know you're busy, but thanks again for taking the time to chat
    KellysDecember07: thank you!!
    KellysDecember07: have a good one man
    BrendanInMusic: you too

+ Reply to Thread