+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Kelly Clarkson

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Re: Kelly Clarkson

Here's the news link:

Link Here

Kelly Clarkson Cancels Summer Tour
    Thu Jun 14, 4:35 PM ET

Just two days after parting ways with her manager, Kelly Clarkson has canceled her upcoming summer tour over disappointing ticket sales, yet another sign of turmoil as she prepares to release her third album, "My December."

In a statement on her Web site, Clarkson said: "In the craziness of the music business, performing is what I look forward to doing the most, so it really is disappointing for me to have to tell you that I won't be coming out to tour this summer. The fact is that touring is just too much too soon.

"But I promise you that we're going to get back out there as soon as is humanly possible to give you a show that will be even better," she added.

In a statement released by her new representative, Paul Freundlich, it acknowledged the sales for the arena tour have been slow. The tour will be on hold and the size of it will be re-evaluated, the statement said.

"The day when she will play in sold-out arenas is, no doubt, coming, but for now her fans should look forward to seeing her in a more intimate concert environment," Gregg Perloff, CEO of concert promoter Another Planet Entertainment, said in the statement. "Kelly deserves a tremendous amount of praise for her courage in not only being a part of, but in supporting, this difficult decision."

This is the latest problem to beset the Grammy-winning singer amid the release of her third album, due out on June 26, the follow-up to her multiplatinum disc "Breakway." The 2004 album was a critical success that showed her success went beyond being a former "American Idol." Clarkson helped write some of the songs on that disc, including the hit ballad "Because of You."

But this spring, reports surfaced that record mogul Clive Davis, who oversees the RCA label for which Clarkson records, was dissatisfied with the direction of the new record and had clashed with Clarkson over it.

In an interview with Associated Press Television in May, Clarkson said media reports of a feud between the two were exaggerated but acknowledged there was tension.

"There's always this battle, and it's not a bad battle to have," she explained. "I mean, you obviously don't want `yes' people around you. And, obviously, (Davis) and others at the label have been in the business far longer than I have. So you obviously take their opinions in."

In the end, though, "I always go with my gut," she said. "My gut has obviously done pretty well for me thus far, so I don't see why I shouldn't keep listening to it."

But the first single from "My December," the angry rock song "Never Again," was not a huge hit, and while it peaked at No. 8 on the Billboard chart, it quickly fell from the top 10 and is now at No. 17.

This week, she fired her manager, Jeff Kwatinetz of The Firm management group.

Clarkson's tour was expected to kick off with her performance at the Live Earth concert July 7 at East Rutherford, N.J. and end in Phoenix. Now, Clarkson's only performance is slated to be at the Live Earth concert, part of a global series of performances to raise awareness about environmental issues.

Refunds will be given for those who purchased tickets to Clarkson's tour.
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

OMG I hate the tour got tanked! I wanted to see her... I've seen her twice. 3rd time was scheduled, had tickets... don't ask

I really wanted to see the latest tour!

Quote Originally Posted by BoBoFan;2441300;
    OMG I hate the tour got tanked! I wanted to see her... I've seen her twice. 3rd time was scheduled, had tickets... don't ask

I really wanted to see the latest tour!
    I have to think this is all related to the change in management. The Firm would have been responsible for setting this tour up, they would have been in line for a cut of the fees, but since she is changing management they had to cut the tour loose. Once she is with another management company the whole thing will be redone. Money, money, money, talks.

Here is a bit more info, it doesn’t paint a very pretty picture.

Clarkson a falling idol :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Bill Zwecker

Clarkson a falling idol
    Singer must have had a career 'death wish' to take on powerful Davis, insider says after her tour falls apart
    June 15, 2007
    BY BILL ZWECKER Sun-Times Columnist
    Perhaps the first tip that Kelly Clarkson's career was taking a downward turn came earlier this spring, when we learned the first ''American Idol'' winner was feuding with powerful music kingpin Clive Davis -- who oversees the singer's RCA label. Clarkson had strongly disagreed with Davis over the direction and content of her new album.
    ''For any artist -- especially someone as new as Kelly -- to p--- off Clive. ... Well, that's about the dumbest thing you can do in the music business,'' a top industry executive told me Thursday. ''When I heard that, I thought, 'This girl must have a death wish for her career.' ''
    Now we learn that Clarkson's summer tour has been canceled -- including her July 29 date at the Allstate Arena.
    In a very candid statement, LiveNation CEO Michael Rapino admitted the cancellation was due to an over-all lack of interest in Clarkson. ''Ticket sales have not been what we anticipated," he said, "and we came to the realization that we had bit off more than we could chew.''
    Added another of the tour's promoters, Another Planet Entertainment CEO Gregg Perloff, ''The day when she will play in sold-out arenas is, no doubt, coming, but for now her fans should look forward to seeing her in a more intimate concert environment.''
    The cancellation of the tour comes at a particularly bad time for the recent Grammy winner, since that album she fought about with Davis is scheduled for release June 26. Titled ''My December,'' it will be Clarkson's third CD, following her multiplatinum sophomore effort, ''Breakaway,'' which included the hit ballad ''Because of You.''
    The tour fell apart two days after Clarkson split with her manager Jeff Kwatinetz -- another sign of turmoil for her career.
    On her Web site, the singer wrote, ''In the craziness of the music business, performing is what I look forward to doing the most, so it really is disappointing for me to have to tell you that I won't be coming out to tour this summer. The fact is that touring is just too much too soon.''
    Her new representative Paul Freundlich indicated that a revamped tour -- focusing on much smaller venues -- would be announced in the near future.
    In the meantime, refunds will be issued to those who already had bought Clarkson tour tickets.

I just wanna say a big Im sorry to her fans..I hope things work out for her and you.
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

The Press is already getting ugly. If this album isn't good Kelly may be flayed by the critics.

FOXNews.com - FOX 411: Kelly Clarkson: 'My December' Trouble - Celebrity Gossip | Entertainment News | Arts And Entertainment

Tuesday, June 05, 2007

By Roger Friedman
    Fox 411: Kelly Clarkson: 'My December' Trouble
    Get ready for Kelly Clarkson as ... Courtney Love.

Clarkson’s new album, "My December," is causing more trouble than anyone could have guessed.

The album, Clarkson’s third, is at the center of a tug of war between the artist and her record label, RCA, which is run by the mogul of moguls, Clive Davis.

I told you the other day that Davis is happy enough to release "My December" even though he has misgivings about it. Clarkson, never before a songwriter, refused to use professional collaborators this time around. She wrote all the songs with her band members against the advice of her label and Davis.

But the real friction may not be between Clarkson and Davis, but between Clarkson’s manager, Jeff Kwatinetz, of The Firm, and the label.

It was only this past weekend that RCA learned Kwatinetz is being listed by Clarkson as “executive producer” of the album. This indicates a new role for Kwatinetz, who is not the most popular member of the recording industry. Managers generally do not receive "EP" credits on albums. They are listed as managers.

In this case, though, Kwatinetz may regret what he’s wished for. “My December” has already spawned one non-starter single in “Never Again,” a kind of tough-chick rock song that failed to penetrate radio or video. After six weeks, it’s already being pulled from rotations after not catching on.

Even though “My December” isn’t ready for press copies, three of its songs can be heard on AOL (all of its lyrics are available, too). None of them has the bright catchy pop hooks of Clarkson’s previous hits like “Since U Been Gone.” One of them, “Sober,” is kind of a rock dirge that boasts the refrain, “Three months … and I’m still sober!”

Is the world really ready for Kelly as Courtney? Ironically, Kwatinetz now also manages Love, who’s turned in a magnificent album of songs. The difference is she collaborated with hitmaker Linda Perry to mix the bitter with the sweet. Kwatinetz may have been so excited about Love and Perry that he’s gotten confused about artistic rebellion.

Clarkson’s songs are indeed bitter. On “Maybe,” which features an acoustic guitar, Clarkson boasts “life with me is never easy.” Surely the folks at RCA are finding that out, since “Maybe” is maudlin and also contains not a sing-able melody.

“Can I Have a Kiss,” mixed with heavy bass over another acoustic guitar, sounds like the kind of song you might hear from an up-and-coming singer in a San Francisco coffee house.

None of them, however, are equal to the polished, edgy pop that made Clarkson a breakthrough hit on her last album. If anything, “My December” is shaping up to be the equivalent of Lauryn Hill’s disastrous follow-up to her mega-selling “Miseducation” album. You’ll notice that no one remembers that CD, and no one’s heard from the onetime superstar since then.

Of course, Davis is often accused of being a control freak who insists on selecting every note sung by his artists. But many Arista and J Records stars write their own songs, including Alicia Keys, Dido and Sarah McLachlan. Davis has never had a problem with them, insiders say. What he does have a problem with is failure, and he’s worried, sources tell me, that Clarkson is headed for a fall.

“The album will come in at No. 1 and could even stay there a second week,” says a source. “But then, it will be over fast.” Fan club members may add to sales with downloads, too. “But Kelly will not sell anywhere near her previous numbers.” The last album, “Breakaway,” released in late 2004, sold a whopping 5.7 million copies.

I met Clarkson last year in Washington, D.C., at a recording industry event. She couldn’t have been nicer, and truly, she has a big voice that could keep her on the top of the charts for years.

But writing her own songs is a gamble she may regret, especially if she turns off her core listening audience. After all, she was built in the “American Idol” factory, and then retooled by Davis — who gave her “Since U Been Gone” — to be hip without seeming dangerous.

Clarkson’s is not a similar case to when Stevie Wonder and Marvin Gaye each decided to venture out on his own from the Motown hit machine in 1970. Nor is it the same as Justin Timberlake’s break from his *NSYNC persona. Pop music, a savvy producer friend of mine used to say, has to have the sound of triumph even if it’s a sad song.

“My December,” however, sounds like it’s shaping up to be one dark, angry recording. It contains lyrics like “There’s a hole/ Inside of me/ It’s so cold/ Slowly killing me.”

Some of the songs — “Judas” and “Irvine” — have titles that aren’t even mentioned in the lyrics at all, forget about the choruses.

On track after track, it’s clear that Kelly had a bad break-up with someone. But not being a skilled lyricist, her broken heart comes off as unsympathetic and a little childish. Someone should have given her a crash course in Carly Simon or Joni Mitchell to see how poetic justice is truly meted out.

Davis, I’m told, could have simply killed the album — he’s done it before when artists turned in CDs he didn’t like. But he’s going to let Clarkson face the music either way.

Says an RCA insider, “Even if this fails, he’ll work with Kelly again if she’s ready to listen.”

FORT Newbie

I really feel bad for Kelly. I am surprised that her die hard fans have not rallied behind her. It is starting to feel like the management and record company (and MOSTLY the press) are trying their best to ruin her career. I love her honesty that she wanted to sing songs that meant something to her. Maybe she learned her lesson that should could have used some help.

I think that if fans really do care about her music and her career, they will support her and voice it.

I honestly think that she needed help, Im not a huge kelly fan, but I can admit that the girl can sing, but I heard the leaks of her new album, and IMO it just isnt that great, you can have angsty dark lyrics, but there is no hook..the music isnt imaginative,there is nothing catchy in most of them at all...I couldnt sing along with them after I listened to them a couple times, nothing stuck..there are good things there, but I do think that she needed help to make them more marketible. I think a lot of people can relate to heartbreak, but you can write it in a more catchy way...I just dont think by herself that Kelly is a very good songwriter..that isnt a bad thing neccessarily, not everyone can do it...but sometimes its just something that you have to accept...
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

Quote Originally Posted by heatherzd;2443350;
    I think that if fans really do care about her music and her career, they will support her and voice it.
    Some fans can be very fickle, they'll support their artist if the music is good.

It tastes like ashes in my mouth a bit that Clive Davis is "winning" in this little battle of wills. That old vampire needs SOMEONE to take his @ss down. Maybe Kelly isn't properly equipped, but SOMEONE.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

+ Reply to Thread