+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Kelly Clarkson

Here is a very good article on why Kelly Clarkson is getting 'street credit.'

Over the past few months, former Evanescence guitarist Ben Moody has found himself taking less and less flak from rock fans for producing part of Kelly Clarkson's album Breakaway.

"Now it's cool to like Kelly Clarkson, so I'm in the clear," Moody said. "She's kind of popular now."

Clarkson, of course, has been popular in pop circles since winning "American Idol" four years ago. What Moody means is it's slowly become de rigueur for artists and music fans outside of that world to cheer on Clarkson, who is nominated for three MTV Video Music Awards this year (see "Green Day, Gwen, Missy Nab Most Nominations For MTV Video Music Awards") and will also perform at the show.

(Check out photos of Kelly Clarkson through the years.)

In an informal survey of rockers and other hipsters, nearly all of the artists polled copped to liking at least something about the Burleson, Texas, singer. (Sorry Kelly, System of a Down still have no idea who you are.)

So how did the 23-year-old former Red Bull girl transform herself from the next Jessica Simpson into a genuinely cool rock-and-roll singer?

"Here's the thing about Kelly Clarkson," Fall Out Boy frontman Patrick Stump said. "At the end of the day, she's an amazing singer, and you can't fault her for that."

Clarkson can certainly blow, as Randy Jackson would say, but so can, say, Simpson. The difference is Clarkson's seen more as the girl next door, and as someone without a manufactured sound or image.

"I think Kelly Clarkson is good because she's real," Simple Plan singer Pierre Bouvier said. "You see her live and you're like, 'All right!' Even if you don't like her style, there's nothing about her that's bad, because she's sweet and she's talented. What else do you want?"

"She's the real deal, so it's not as lame as some other people," Yellowcard singer Ryan Key added. "I hope at some point people will realize what's real and what's not real, and who's an artist and who's not, and who doesn't deserve to be."

From the beginning, Clarkson has always come off in interviews as a sweet Southerner incapable of the diva attitude associated with many of her peers.

"I met her briefly and she seems to have a really great spirit and I think that's the beginning," singer Ciara said. "Your personality is very important, your spirit is very important and she already has that."

"There are so many people out here in the industry that pretend to be something else and she's really one of those that's really, really true from the heart," added R&B crooner Frankie J.

Still, something happened between the release of Clarkson's debut album and now, something that forced other artists to give her a chance. Something called "Since U Been Gone," a tune with the kind of legs that pop music hasn't seen in years.

"It's incredible," Yellowcard's Key said. "It gets in your head and won't leave."

"You have to listen to that song at 11, that's just the way it is," added Switchfoot singer Jon Foreman, who recently caught himself pulling up to the beach with "Since U Been Gone" blaring from his car radio.

Indie rocker Ted Leo saw the video one morning earlier this year and decided to play an acoustic cover of it for a videotaped Web session a few hours later.

"I was like, 'Wow, that's a shockingly good song for a pop star,' " Leo said. "It's just one great hook after another. I also really appreciate the more advanced pop pastiche aspects of it. It's written in a way that is so transparent in terms of drawing from a lot of what's vaguely edgy and popular right now, but put together in such a perfect little package. It's undeniable."

Even though Leo only played it a few more times, bootlegs of his performances circulated around the Internet within a few weeks and it became his calling card, which he's not exactly thrilled about.

"I appreciate that people get a kick out of it, but it's not in the set [anymore]," he said. "A lot of people have asked me about adding some cachet to Kelly Clarkson, as if I'm trying to tell people that she should be considered more than she is, but honestly, I was poking more fun at myself and my own weakness for a good hook. Not that I have anything against her. In that world, she got where she is because she can sing. She's not some heiress with a Chihuahua."

Fittingly, the humble Clarkson never expected "Since U Been Gone" to earn her such a widespread fanbase.

"It's ridiculous how well that song was received by hard rockers, by indie people," she said. "They will say stuff about it and I'm just floored. I was walking around with a friend of mine and this hard-rock guy came up to me and was like, 'I look stupid, but I tell my friends I love this song.' People at concerts are like, 'That's my guilty pleasure. I don't mean to be mean, but I didn't want to like the "American Idol" girl.' But they love that song, and it kind of won them over."

What's also winning rockers over is the video for Clarkson's follow-up single, "Behind These Hazel Eyes," in which she sabotages her own wedding.

"She is so unbelievably gorgeous in that video that is all over TV right now," Yellowcard's Key said. "The wet wedding dress and the wet hair and ... come on, man! Who knew? She is so hot. She looks so good in it."

Simple Plan's Chuck Comeau agrees. "I want to date you," he said. "You think it's just a joke, but it's not a joke."

And rockers are apparently not the only ones obsessing over Clarkson. One of Hollywood's hottest comedic actors is so smitten with her that he yelled out her name while ad-libbing a memorable scene in his latest movie.

"I don't know her very well, I mean, we dated a couple of times," "The 40-Year-Old Virgin" himself, Steve Carell, said, tongue firmly in cheek. "She smells like strawberry shortcake, I know that. Her eyes are like limpid pools and she has the voice of an angel."

"[Kelly Clarkson] smells like strawberry shortcake, I know that." Steve Carell

Corey Moss
    http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/150...headlines=true

By the way...she is nominated for viewers choice for the MTV VMA so vote for her. Here is a link: http://www.mtv.com/onair/vma/2005/in...nair/vma/2005/

AIW, thanks for the article, it was great. I think Kelly's definitely been making a name for herself with this Breakaway album. Definitley a strong release. However, her fashion sense is horrid. Her style (if you can even call it that) is way too over exxagerated; It's like she's trying to hard to stand out or have that 'rock/grunge' feel to her that it comes off as clownish looking.
    "How do you feel about marriage and commitment?" - Britney Spears
    "I feel that...I feel that love is love...love has...I don't believe in marriage. I believe you can get married." - Kevin Federline

Huh? I think I just got stupider...
    Please do your part to help the victims of Hurricane Katrina: DONATE!

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar
    Sorry to post this so late for all the kelly fans, but Kelly is on Oprah today.
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

Quote Originally Posted by AIWANNABE
    I couldn't find a thread dedicated to the winner of the first season, so I created this one. I just have to post these pictures. What was she thinking?!? I normally love her style.

Here's to explain why Kelly is wearing this thing called leotards... had gotten this from the Kelly Clarkson Express:

"Why Kelly Clarkson Wears Leotards...

So my friend Skip Kelly (who is incredibly sexy by the way) works at 97.9 Kiss FM in Jacksonville... and I found out he was interviewing Kelly Clarkson today...

So I was like DUDE, you have to ask her why she is wearing those ridiculous bodysuits (see photos below)...

Well he asked her...

She's so funny - you gotta love Kelly because she's totally just REAL... she said it's because she wears her pants low, and she has a big butt, and her butt crack kinda hangs out sometimes... so she decided to wear bodysuits so that her bum doesn't show!!!!

Credit: Dana, danasdirt.com"

Well after some searching I finally found this thread on pg. 9 so I thought I would repost this info here for those of you who don't or won't read the Carrie thread.

It was announced today that Kelly would also be on this show & doing a song with Rascal Flatts. It has long been rumored that Kelly & the Flatts gang had been in the studio together so maybe we will see what it was all about. So it seems as though CBS is trying to pull some of the audience away from FOX that night by having 2 of the most popular Idols ever on the same show against the Idol finale. Smart Move??

http://www.cmt.com/artists/news/1528...questid=431939

Kenny Chesney, Toby Keith, Rascal Flatts, Sugarland and Carrie Underwood have been announced as performers on the Academy of Country Music Awards on May 23 in Las Vegas. Presenters include Dr. Phil and Robin McGraw and Cold Case actor Kathryn Morris. More performers will be announced in the coming weeks. Reba McEntire will host the ceremony, which will air live from the MGM Grand on CBS.

You beat me to it, razorback. LOL I just found Kelly's thread and was going to quote your post. Thank you for bringing the info about Kelly being on the CMT show.

FORT Fogey
    Yah, the outfit is ridculous.

FORT Fan
    "I think Kelly Clarkson is good because she's real...."

"She's the real deal....I hope at some point people will realize what's real and what's not real, and who's an artist and who's not, and who doesn't deserve to be."

"There are so many people out here in the industry that pretend to be something else and she's really one of those that's really, really true from the heart...."

Wow, seems like one of the requirements for AI winners to earn the respect of their peers is to be real. I wonder which of the current contestants might hit a snag in that area.

Hating finales since 2006 finalefan's Avatar
    I have to LOL because I went through a bodysuit phase in ohhhh about 1993-94-ish.

Does anybody else remember wearing bodysuits back then? I took it as fashion backlash after so many years of pulling your shirts so far out of your pants after tucking them in that you walked around with kind of a big air-pockety pillow around your waist!

Of course in 1993-94-ish we weren't wearing our pants down below our hip bones, either.

~shrug~

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    http://www.brandweek.com/bw/news/rec..._id=1002426443

Kelly Clarkson Gives Voice to Ford's 'Bold Moves'

May 02, 2006

DETROIT -- Ford Motor Co. will increase its ad spend by double digit percentages over the next two years, a company executive promised today, with an ambitious ad and marketing campaign called “Bold moves.” The effort is led by Ford agency JWT, Detroit.

The drive to stem the company’s ebbing market share begins Tuesday night during the Ford-sponsored TV show, American Idol, when it will run a 60-second ad featuring an unreleased song, “Go,” from platinum- selling popster Kelly Clarkson. Ford will also sponsor Clarkson's summer tour, which begins in late June.

Over the course of Tuesday night, Web sites and billboards that tout Ford’s current ad slogans and graphics will switch to the new “Bold moves” campaign, replacing "Built for the road ahead."

Print ads will begin running in national newspapers by the end of the week, the company said. One- and two- page-long ads will appear in newsweekly magazines beginning next week and will begin showing in the July issues of monthly magazines around mid-June.

A weekly Webisode documentary, also called “Bold moves,” will debut in early June, with segments of two to three minutes, showing the inside business workings at Ford, as the Dearborn Mich.-based company continues its struggle to hold on as America’s No. 2 car maker.

“It will allow people to see inside a corporate turnaround,” said Martin Collins, executive director of marketing at Ford. The vignettes will run on a Web site, which will also give bloggers a chance to weigh in on each episode.

Ford, with a 2005 ad spend of $999 million, per Nielsen Monitor-Plus, has lost market share for 10 straight years, bottoming out last year at 17.4 %.

--Steve Miller

~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~*~*~*~~*
    http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/153...headlines=true

Kelly Clarkson Airs New Song In Commercial, Will Play More On Tour
    05.03.2006 2:22 PM EDT

VAN NUYS, California — "American Idol" viewers have grown accustomed to seeing the show's hopefuls in commercials for Ford, which is one of its sponsors. But they may have been surprised during Tuesday's episode when the requisite commercial featured a brand-new song from Kelly Clarkson instead.

Titled "Go," the upbeat song was written by Clarkson and producer/musician Rhett Lawrence (Mariah Carey, Michael Jackson, Kelly's Thankful LP) and may be included on the singer's next album. "It's all about empowerment — taking that initiative and just doing what your dreams are," Clarkson said Tuesday. "It's a fun song. It fits perfectly with the commercial. I like the whole [empowerment] theme because it's kind of like my life."

The company is also sponsoring Clarkson's summer tour (see "It's Your Turn To Scream 'Kelly Clarkson!' This Summer"). "We're giving away a car in each city and we're doing some charity stuff as well," Clarkson said.

Kelly's tour kicks off June 30 in West Palm Beach, Florida, and will hit 24 cities before wrapping up August 6 in Auburn, Washington. The singer is taking a break from recording her third album to make the trek (see " Kelly Clarkson Eyeing Black Eyed Peas For New Album"), which will feature some of the new material.

"I actually said no at first," Clarkson said. "I was like, 'I've toured a lot,' but [my management] came up with the idea, like, 'Hey, you always like to try out new songs [live].' So then I called back and was like, 'I want to do the tour,' because I think it'd be cool to make the fans part of the process. I get to be like, 'Hey, we're thinking about doing this on the record. What do you think about it?' "

The show will still feature all Clarkson's hits, plus some new covers. "We're gonna do things that have inspired me for this record," she said. "I think it's going to be my favorite tour. It's outside, it's summertime."

First, though, Kelly's anxious to get back to recording, especially after taking a well-deserved vacation.

"I've been out of the country for three months," she said, noting that she's missed the entire season of "Idol." "I haven't been watching, but my mom said she really likes the girl with the long brown hair. [Katharine] McPhee, like the 'Nanny McPhee' movie. That's how I remember."
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

+ Reply to Thread