+ Reply to Thread

Thread: American Idol, Top 7: Tuesday Night Fever

American Idol, Top 7: Tuesday Night Fever

Well, all, it’s time for another performance show, and Ryan starts this one out by promising, “You are in for American Idol’s most energetic show yet.” After introducing us to the judges for the gazillionth time, Ryan says that the theme for this week’s show is “70’s Dance Music”. Of course, I’m wondering why they just don’t say “disco”, but I’m thinking they are making the theme as relatively generic as possible in order to better accommodate some of the finalists. I mean, come on…can you really see Bo singing “You Make Me Feel Mighty Real” or “Y.M.C.A.”? Could Carrie truly pull off “Ring My Bell” or “Boogie Oogie Oogie”? I think you get my point…

First up tonight is Constantine Maroulis, singing the Bee Gees’ “Nights On Broadway”. Looking like the love child of Ziggy Stardust and Tony Manero from Saturday Night Fever, Constantine shows up dressed in a white suit with a black shirt and wearing more eyeliner than my sister ever has. And are those blond streaks in his hair, too? I guess ol’ Constantine stopped by Extreme Makeover or The Swan on his way to the stage this evening. Anyway, Constantine sounds good, but he doesn’t go for the song’s trademark falsetto notes like the Bee Gees did, and the result is unfortunately a bit underwhelming. He must think that he can make up for that by throwing in an extra eye-f**k or two, because Lord knows he does it enough during this song. Are the judges impressed with Constantine’s performance? Randy says, “That was a good choice, but it’s like I am watching a great Las Vegas performance. I don’t get any originality.” Paula (who was up dancing during the performance) adds, “Everything about you is ‘Oh my God.’” (Quite frankly, everything about Paula these days makes me want to say, “Oh my God”, but I digress…) Finally, Simon tells Constantine, “You’re definitely on a roll. But, if this was the tape I’d seen for the first time, I’d say this was akin to a waiter in a ghastly Spanish nightclub.” This is the second time Simon’s made that sort of analogy this season. He must have been to more than a few “ghastly Spanish nightclubs” in his day…

After a commercial break, it’s time to hear from Carrie Underwood. Now, to her credit, Carrie does tackle a disco standard, “MacArthur Park”. (Well, Donna Summer’s remake is a disco standard, anyway.) She even tries to look the part with her hair teased so high that you could have put Jimmy Hoffa in there. There are a couple of points where her timing is noticeably off to me, and she does sound off in spots. However, overall, her voice does sound strong, and we all know that there’s probably nothing Carrie could do short of singing like Roseanne Barr that would result in a bad critique from the judges. (And even then, Carrie could very well end up being praised for her “creativity” and “originality”.) What do the judges think of Carrie’s performance? Randy tells her, “Dude, that was beautiful.” Paula says, “Wow on that last note. Bravo.” Simon winds up the critiques with, “You sang it very well, but you look like Barbie meets The Stepford Wives.”

Scott Savol is up next, and he’s chosen to sing the classic “Everlasting Love”, most recently redone by both Gloria Estefan and Jamie Cullum. I’ve never noticed it before, but Scott’s vibrato is very pronounced in tonight’s performance. Aside from that, though, Scott sounds pretty good tonight, and I have to admit I’m a bit surprised. What I’m not surprised at is seeing Paula up once again and dancing around like she’s at an old-time tent revival or something. I swear, if this woman isn’t addicted to something, maybe she should be. Maybe that would make her more tolerable; I don’t know. Anyway, do the judges like Scott’s performance? Randy says, “You pick just the right song. I had no problems with it, dude. That was hot.” Paula, once she regains her composure and sits down, says, “You do have a knack for picking the right song. You had fun out there, and you were on pitch tonight.” Finally, Simon tells Scott, “You are an ordinary guy who’s doing very well. But, ordinary guys can get up at a karaoke bar and entertain an audience. I think this was similar to that.”

After another commercial break, it is time to hear from Anthony Fedorov, who has chosen to sing the Tavares hit “Don’t Take Away The Music” for his performance this evening. Anthony, who’s sporting a fresh haircut tonight, is definitely in his element with this one. OK, the song is a bit cheesy, but Anthony makes the most of it, and I think it is the best he’s sounded in a couple of weeks. Paula is up dancing yet again, and I really wish the guys in the white coats with the big butterfly nets would just come cart her away and put us all out of our misery. But, back to Anthony…do the judges like what they hear from him? Randy tells Anthony, “I gotta give you props, baby. That was good.” Paula adds, “You picked the right song. The vocals sounded great. This was probably your best week.” Finally, Simon says, “It was pleasant…safe…and a little insipid.” Hey, Simon, I’d like to see you get up there and sing a disco song—excuse me, a 70’s dance song—and see how well you do…

We come back from yet another commercial break (what is it with them having one after each performance?), and it is Vonzell Solomon’s turn to take the stage. She’s chosen to sing Chaka Khan’s hit “I’m Every Woman” this evening (yes, someone sang it before Whitney, thankyouverymuch), and it’s another perfect song choice for Vonzell. Vonzell is full of energy, working every corner of the stage., and her voice sounds very strong. All in all, it’s another excellent performance for Vonzell. Do the judges agree? Randy tells her, “Yo, yo. You chose the song with the highest degree of difficulty. But, yo, man. I’m telling you…you worked it out tonight.” Paula (who was up yet again during this performance) adds, “Tonight, you rocked the house. This is the best performance so far tonight.” Finally, Simon tells Vonzell, “Your personality can carry a song like that. You got away with it tonight. That was good.” You know, I think Simon’s right about the personality thing. I truly don’t think Carrie could pull off this song. Hell, I don’t even think Anthony could pull of this one.

After another commercial break, it is time to hear from Anwar Robinson. Anwar has chosen to sing the Earth, Wind, and Fire hit “September” for his performance this evening, and he sounds a bit off at the beginning. In fact the beginning of the performance is a bit odd for me. There are a couple of places where the backup band is so loud that they drown Anwar out. Also, seeing as how this is a very upbeat song, Anwar definitely seems restrained and doesn’t move around much at all. However, about midway through the song, Anwar picks up the pace, comes out from behind the microphone, and starts to move around a bit. This, of course, results in Paula jumping up out of her seat yet again. (I don’t know if she thinks this is an opportunity to show off her dance moves for some video producer or what, but I wish she’d just sit down and stay still. But, I digress…) Anwar uses his now-familiar big finish to bring the song to a close, and I’m not sure if it’s enough to save the performance as a whole. What do the judges have to say? Randy says, “That was another good Anwar performance. It was da bomb at the end. It was good, dude. It was good.” Paula adds, “This was awesome. That was a great performance from you.” Finally, Simon tells Anwar, “I don’t think it was as good as Paula thinks. As usual, it was a very good ending. I don’t think it was a winning performance.”

We come back from our final commercial break of the evening (thank GOD), and it’s time for our final performance of the evening. It comes to us courtesy of Bo Bice, and he has chosen to sing “Vehicle”, originally sung by The Ides Of March. Now, I suppose that , technically, if you can dance to any song, that song could be considered “dance music”. But, quite honestly, I don’t see how this song fits into the category. Anyway, it’s a very good choice for Bo, I suppose, but I have a lot of trouble understanding what he’s saying at the beginning of the performance. All the trademark signs of a Bo performance are there: he carries the microphone stand all over the stage with him, he bobs his head up and down so that his hair can alternately cover his face and then be thrown back in très dramatique fashion, and Paula is up out of her seat one more time. (You know what? I wish Simon or Randy would slip a whoopee cushion onto Paula’s seat the next time she stands up to dance so that when she sits down, it would sound like she had a whole mess of bean burritos for dinner. Now, that would be worth it to me.) What do the judges think of Bo’s performance? Randy says, “Bo Bice is back. Yes. That was right on the money, baby.” Paula tells him, “You’ve just proven the competition is back on.” Finally, Simon tells Bo, “For me, this was the only authentically good performance of the whole evening.” With that, the show draws to a close.

Well, our group took on the disco era and won. (Oh, excuse me…I mean the “70’s dance music” era.) Whose performances were winning enough to keep them in the competition another week? Who will be sent home? Tune in tomorrow night to find out!

My Predictions
    Best performance of the evening: Vonzell
    Weakest performance of the evening: Anwar
    Who should be in the Bottom Three: Carrie, Anwar, Scott
    Who will be in the Bottom Three: Anwar, Scott, and either Constantine or Vonzell
    Who should go home: Anwar
    Who will go home: Scott

To contact the author of this recap, send e-mail to lobeck@fansofrealitytv.com.

Doing a lap before I commit to a location
    Quote Originally Posted by lobeck
    Looking like the love child of Ziggy Stardust and Tony Manero from Saturday Night Fever, Constantine shows up dressed in a white suit with a black shirt and wearing more eyeliner than my sister ever has. And are those blond streaks in his hair, too? I guess ol’ Constantine stopped by Extreme Makeover or The Swan on his way to the stage this evening.
    Great recap lobeck! Thank you!
    Could does not mean should

Quote Originally Posted by lobeck
    (You know what? I wish Simon or Randy would slip a whoopee cushion onto Paula’s seat the next time she stands up to dance so that when she sits down, it would sound like she had a whole mess of bean burritos for dinner. Now, that would be worth it to me.)
    My Predictions

that's a good idea Lobeck!! Would be very funny....(oh poor Paula how I want to feel for her but, I just want her to sit down too!

Best performance of the evening: Vonzell
    Weakest performance of the evening: Anwar
    Who should be in the Bottom Three: Carrie, Anwar, Scott
    Who will be in the Bottom Three: Anwar, Scott, and either Constantine or Vonzell
    Who should go home: Anwar
    Who will go home: Scott
    I think Anwar should have been the one to go home too (even though he'd been one of my favorites)
    I'm on the fence about whether he's better than Scott. Off the show, I'd say yeah, but, for AI
    I don't know.
    Nice recap and thanks. I was wondering if you'd gone AWOL!!
    The Pats will be back next year. Watch out.....

+ Reply to Thread